Sponsored

Loud drive unit in new dual motor R1S

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance, Rivian R1S
Can anyone with a dual motor chime in and let me know if you're hearing the same sound in the video? It's like a low buzzing/grinding noise that's loudest from 30-45mph. My wife asked me the other day why this car was so much louder than the quad motor we owned previously.

Edit: Updated video with sound EQ adjusted to accurately reflect what I'm hearing in the car.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
I also think the noise you're hearing can be related to the wheel bearings. Another suggestion is to check the condition of your tires and make sure they're aligned properly. Sometimes, Uneven tire wear or misalignment similar kind of noise, especially at certain speeds.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Hope so. Have one scheduled for the end of April. For now we'll just have to turn up the music.
Yes, when I heard that sound I immediately though of a failing Tesla motor sound. It could also be something else. It's hard to say but service is really good at figuring these things out.

Sponsored

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
Not sure if I missed anything but the electric motor whirring sounds pretty normal to me.

OP
OP

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure if I missed anything but the electric motor whirring sounds pretty normal to me.
The high pitched whirring is normal and I was fine with it in my previous quad motor. It's the leaf blower pitched sound that is highly annoying. My recording didn't accurately capture the volume of the noise. It's a lot louder than what you hear here.

TigerWuxia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad
I just watched your video again and still couldn't hear anything abnormal. It sounds similar to my quad R1S, at least based on the recording you posted.
Personally, I found R1S is rather noisy so probably we just have to live with that.

The high pitched whirring is normal and I was fine with it in my previous quad motor. It's the leaf blower pitched sound that is highly annoying. My recording didn't accurately capture the volume of the noise. It's a lot louder than what you hear here.

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

I just got a R1T Dual Performance last week and mine sounds the same. I only test drove a quad so I had nothing else to compare it by. I was going to make the tech drive around with me during my mobile visit in April. I only really hear it between 30-40. My previous vehicle was a Tesla Y Performance and the motors were silent compared to this truck. After hearing yours I’m starting to think it’s normal.

OP
OP

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just got a R1T Dual Performance last week and mine sounds the same. I only test drove a quad so I had nothing else to compare it by. I was going to make the tech drive around with me during my mobile visit in April. I only really hear it between 30-40. My previous vehicle was a Tesla Y Performance and the motors were silent compared to this truck. After hearing yours I’m starting to think it’s normal.
I hope this isn't normal. Anyone who's been in a tesla will immediately be put off by the loudness of the Enduro motors.

Sponsored

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

I hope this isn't normal. Anyone who's been in a tesla will immediately be put off by the loudness of the Enduro motors.
If I listen to music I don’t hear it but I shouldn’t have to do that. My neighbor who drives a Hyundai hybrid even asked me about it when I took him for a drive so I can only imagine what my Tesla friends will think.
Im definitely getting more annoyed because I live in Los Angeles. All I do is drive 30-40 so I’m constantly hearing it. It’s quiet at 80 so I don’t really understand why the motors would be so loud when they are barely spinning. Hopefully I can drive another dual before my service appt to compare.

OP
OP

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If I listen to music I don’t hear it but I shouldn’t have to do that. My neighbor who drives a Hyundai hybrid even asked me about it when I took him for a drive so I can only imagine what my Tesla friends will think.
Im definitely getting more annoyed because I live in Los Angeles. All I do is drive 30-40 so I’m constantly hearing it. It’s quiet at 80 so I don’t really understand why the motors would be so loud when they are barely spinning. Hopefully I can drive another dual before my service appt to compare.
I'm in NYC so I feel your pain. The noise is louder than previous ICE cars I've owned at those speeds.

Last edited:

ThinAir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I-Pace
Clubs

I picked my dual motor R1T this morning. 5 minutes into my drive home I turned around and took it back to the service center because of the excessive noise. The service tech confirmed it. It's now in the shop and I have loaner. I probably set a new record for shortest time of ownership to warranty coverage ever.

OP
OP

freejack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I picked my dual motor R1T this morning. 5 minutes into my drive home I turned around and took it back to the service center because of the excessive noise. The service tech confirmed it. It's now in the shop and I have loaner. I probably set a new record for shortest time of ownership to warranty coverage ever.
Sorry to hear that. Did the noise sound similar to what I recorded?

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
I've been going through this with Tesla for literal years. Had two Model Ys that were dead silent. Then got a 2023 that made an insane amount of front DU bearing noise, as documented by all the complaints here: What is this high pitched cricket like noise? | Tesla Motors Club . Tesla replaced one unit but it didn't fix it. Traded it for a 2024 and the new one does it too. This appears to be a "thing" with EVs now. Tolerance stackups in the drive units mean some of them sing like crazy and not always in frequencies align with human sanity.
Sponsored