First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Ok, the Rivian R1S was a little dirty so had to take it out for a quick exterior wash.
The following pictures should help with any questions or stir more: Shared-to-Internet. And I thought a little Video might also help.
Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Unfortunately I think I figured out why OP got the result he did, due to Denver’s high elevation, aero drag is a bit less up there (maybe 0.3 MPK less?), so any of us at sea level can likely only expect around 1.7 MPK at 65 mph, would be great to get a similar test near sea level with this setup…

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Correct, my Mile per Kilowatt is about 1.9 average. Going from Edwards to Denver, last week, the two uphill runs, Vail to top of Vail Pass then Dillon up to the Eisenhower/Johnson tunnels, about 50 miles cost me over 110 miles in energy at the speed limit. It was a nice surprise to find Charge Point Fast Chargers in Georgetown. Otherwise, I would have been pulling into Denver at about 25 miles range which does NOT make my Bride feel comfortable and has little faith in the Riv's ability to predict miles available for trips.

Talking to the Denver Service Manager on other related/non-related issues, he told me the R1S is not designed/engineered for 22" all terrains so we have to figure out the energy consumption ourselves and Beware!! EVERYTHING effects the way we use energy, wind/rain/sun/dust/cold/warm and a host of unknown factors.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Unfortunately I think I figured out why OP got the result he did, due to Denver’s high elevation, aero drag is a bit less up there (maybe 0.3 MPK less?), so any of us at sea level can likely only expect around 1.7 MPK at 65 mph, would be great to get a similar test near sea level with this setup…
I’m sure there’s some truth to this. However, it seems the 60-65mph is an efficiency sweet spot. I’m noticing a much bigger drop off at 75-80mph. Also, getting the heavier LT’s rolling from a stop takes up some “fuel”, so my in-town efficiency is lower. I’m lovin’ the tires though so far. They look “tough” too.

Sponsored

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

I’m sure there’s some truth to this. However, it seems the 60-65mph is an efficiency sweet spot. I’m noticing a much bigger drop off at 75-80mph. Also, getting the heavier LT’s rolling from a stop takes up some “fuel”, so my in-town efficiency is lower. I’m lovin’ the tires though so far. They look “tough” too.
Sounds like they are a great setup for you…a nice benefit of the LT (80 PSI) is that you have a huge window of acceptable pressure ranges (say 45 - 80 psi), setting them at 63 psi basically means you don’t need to worry about it all, going to be minimal changes with temp/pressure…none of which will affect tire performance much at all…

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
However, it seems the 60-65mph is an efficiency sweet spot. I’m noticing a much bigger drop off at 75-80mph.
This is very true regardless of tire choice. I took my stock 20's cross country, and followed an older XJ the whole time. We didn't go quicker than 65 the entire trip, which kept my efficiency up around 2.2-2.3 mpk. One of the days I drove without him and set the cruise at 80, immediate drop to 1.8mpk.

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Just a little Shout Out. I saw the
Mickey Thompson Baja's yesterday on a Ford F-150. What a standout profile. My Bride said we need to get those when the Toyo's wear out. Great Choice!!

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
A four ton SUV with 67lb LT’s smoked a brand new paper-plated “D.B.” in a Mercedes SL convertible with the top down in 55 degree rainy weather today.

…carry on.
Sponsored