Sponsored

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
...but I live in Colorado, and I play in the Rockies in the summer.

I just had my one-year anniversary with my R1S with over 16,000 miles. I had the OEM 20" Pirelli's and purposely did not rotate them, as I didn't really care for them and wanted to kill them faster. I never use conserve, and my fronts had 3/32-4/32 left. Rears had more. I could have pulled out a few thousand more miles for sure had I rotated them, but I wanted some new kicks.

Yes, I know, I know, these are 67lb LT's! Will I take a range hit? Yep. Do I care? Not much. I'm not a "range-o-phobe" and for my use case, I primarily hit the rockies 9-10 months of the year for some fly fishing CO's freestones and tailwaters. And once the high country snow melts, some off-road trails for sure. I use my S similar to @BrentInCO in the summer. I've found CO's charging infrastructure ok for my needs, and it will only improve, so the range hit doesn't bug me. My snowboarding days are largely behind me, but I think these tires will tackle an I-70 winter fine. They are 3PMS for what that's worth. Certainly, if I were back in my ski resort prime, I'd opt for some Blizzaks, as there is no comparison on ice. I'm just hoping for some snow improvement over the Pirelli's. I don't have any use case for driving in the middle of Kansas in the winter against a headwind in the middle of a charging desert in an EV, let alone an ICE--these may not be the tire for @zefram47 .

The treads are asymmetrical, and most online reviewers commented they were surprised at how quiet they are considering how aggressive the tread is, and the thinking is that the varied block spacing may cut out noise some. I have to agree-I don't notice any louder drone than the OEM's. (I crank tunes anyway). The side-biters are quite aggressive and should help with rock abrasion/traction, and being LT, should be more puncture resistant. I'm happy with so far and think they look pretty bad-ass.

Huge shout-out to @Discount Tire in Westminster, CO for an excellent install. They had their own jackpucks, but they liked my magnetic ones from jackpucks.com so they used those. Absolutely no scratches on the black wheels, they are balanced perfectly, (no shimmy at all above 80mph+), and they used black tape weights to match the wheels. Diego and Francis at this location rocked! The whole team had a great time....

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7612

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7609

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7613

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7614

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7617

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7619

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7620

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7622

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7623

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7624

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7626

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7629

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7633

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7634

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7638

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7639

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_7642

I'll update this thread as I have more kwh data and experience with them.

edit: added Highway Range Test Video:

Cheers, opnwide
Sponsored

Last edited:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There is a 100% chance an HR complaint was made after your visit to that Discount Tire. :CWL:

Those new tires look cool! FWIW I was at the Denver SC today for my 7500 mile check up and the service guy was saying he sees most people swap out the Pirelli 20s between 15-25k and the highest he has seen anyone get from them is 40k.

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

New tires look great, OP. Thanks for sharing. Please update us after you’ve driven with them for a while.

Sponsored

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
New tires look great, OP. Thanks for sharing. Please update us after you’ve driven with them for a while.
Sure will! I reset my trip B to compare with my 2.14kwh lifetime average the first year on the Pirelli’s. I also forgot to mention I’m running them at 60psi (max is 80psi) for daily and they are OEM sized at 275/65/20.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sure will! I reset my trip B to compare with my 2.14kwh lifetime average the first year on the Pirelli’s. I also forgot to mention I’m running them at 60psi (max is 80psi) for daily and they are OEM sized at 275/65/20.
I also had 2.14 mi/kWh over about 10k miles before I swapped out for the Blizzaks. FWIW, the calculation I did to find the appropriate pressure for the LT E-load tires was 55.4 psi to match the load rating and pressure equivalent on the OE Pirellis. I never bothered with a chalk test though, so YMMV. Your posts never disappoint...the name tags on the DT shirts are priceless. :p

My Pirellis are pretty low, but I'll probably still get a few thousand miles out of them before I need to look elsewhere, assuming I don't do any muddy trails. I have my eye on the new EV-focused Toyo Open Country AT III EV, but hope some reviews come out before I need to make a decision.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Well done man.

Your inflatable influencers sure get around and seem rather durable despite the high mileage.

I’m at Discount Tire CO Blvd today for Blizzaks on a new Atomic Wheelset.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Well done man.

Your inflatable influencers sure get around and seem rather durable despite the high mileage.

I’m at Discount Tire CO Blvd today for Blizzaks on a new Atomic Wheelset.
V. Cool! Post some photos. I'm sure that will be a killer setup.

Sponsored

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

The Discount Tires here in the Denver metro have all been extremely pleasant to work with (I've used the Arvada and Colfax locations). Much deserved shout-out to them.

And thanks for the review. I'm looking at the new Falken AT4Ws, but curious how they compare to the AT3s in winter/snow. The AT3s I had on my Toyotas were absolutely bomber in the snow.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I'm running 63psi on LT KO3s. Seems to be sweet spot for efficiency. I did do chalk test and no noticeable difference between 53 and 63

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
The Discount Tires here in the Denver metro have all been extremely pleasant to work with (I've used the Arvada and Colfax locations). Much deserved shout-out to them.

And thanks for the review. I'm looking at the new Falken AT4Ws, but curious how they compare to the AT3s in winter/snow. The AT3s I had on my Toyotas were absolutely bomber in the snow.
In case you missed Charged Overland's review

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I'm running 63psi on LT KO3s. Seems to be sweet spot for efficiency. I did do chalk test and no noticeable difference between 53 and 63
What efficiency are you seeing on the KO3s?

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023

Yes, the Falken's AT3 was my serious contender as well. Slightly lighter weight, but not by much. They have a great reputation. I thought I may have seen a YT review of the new AT4 and there may have been some question on a decrease in snow performance compared to the 3? Can't go wrong with the Falkens for sure. I just went on personal looks preference.
Sponsored