ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Ok @ksurfier , you owe me a beer. I’ll let you pick the range stats off my video. @k3g you may be interested in this video as well. TLDW—first leg out 2.2kwh, return trip 1.85kwh. Details in video.

Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT highway range test
Thanks @opnwide!

Awesome job! I get a solid 2.0 MPK for that combo drive (33.4 miles / 16.9).

glad you had company for the grueling drive! Will add a report to the new efficiency thread…
Sponsored

digitalwizard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is awesome! I've been wanting to get a set of good A/T tires to replace my 21's, and I've been eyeing these for a while. They looked great based on specs and reviews, but I hadn't seen anyone use them on the R1 yet. After reading this, I decided to pull the trigger on a set with the MSW 20 rims. Will be keeping the 21's as a spare and can swap them out if I take the R1 on a long road trip where I actually need the range.

I'll post some pics and a review with efficiency numbers once I get them in 2 weeks. Then I'll take them on some trails out here in the TN valley.

Oh, and Tire Rack finally has the TMPS available online when you configure rims/tires for the R1, so I was able to order them mounted and balanced with new TPMS sensors.

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
This is awesome! I've been wanting to get a set of good A/T tires to replace my 21's, and I've been eyeing these for a while. They looked great based on specs and reviews, but I hadn't seen anyone use them on the R1 yet. After reading this, I decided to pull the trigger on a set with the MSW 20 rims. Will be keeping the 21's as a spare and can swap them out if I take the R1 on a long road trip where I actually need the range.

I'll post some pics and a review with efficiency numbers once I get them in 2 weeks. Then I'll take them on some trails out here in the TN valley.

Oh, and Tire Rack finally has the TMPS available online when you configure rims/tires for the R1, so I was able to order them mounted and balanced with new TPMS sensors.
V. Cool! Yeah throw some photos up when you get 'em. They Beasty!! I almost feel like I should have more Tats and metal chains for some reason rockin' these. lol! I think you might be surprised that the hit isn't as dramatic as you might think.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
I just got a quote from the service center for the 7,500 mile service, without a tire rotation as Discount Tire does that for me, and it was free. I reminded them that I want the 22,500 mile service / inspection, and FYI that costs $240. I'll be able to report back next week with any details about that inspection and if they found anything. I have ~27,500 miles and requested this appointment over a month ago, when I saw they recommend this service on the Rivian website.
Further to my earlier message, had my service center visit today. $340 is for an EDV inspection. $0 courtesy inspection does things I can do on my own, such as top off windshield fluid. I paid $240 for the multi-point inspection. Only issue = they found both rear dampers were leaking (suspension), and will replace them under warranty in a couple weeks.

Last edited:

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Do they make these (or similar) for 22 inch wheels?

Sponsored

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Do they make these (or similar) for 22 inch wheels?
No I don’t think so. I’m not aware of any LT rated All-Terrain tires made in the OEM 22” size, but someone can correct me. You can certainly find an AT that is XL rated like the Nitto Ridge Grappler (non-3PMS) or a BFG KO3, and maybe a Cooper? (Have not even looked at, nor considered M/T or R/T options).

Last edited:

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
No I don’t think so. I’m not aware of any LT rated All-Terrain tires made in the OEM 22” size, but someone can correct me. You can certainly find an AT that is XL rated like the Nitto Ridge Grappler (non-3PMS) or a BFG KO3, and maybe a Cooper? (Have not even looked at, nor considered M/T or R/T options).
Try the Toyo Open Country.

I am currently rolling on these without issue. Firestone guy in Omaha found them rated for the 7000 lbs worth of R1S.

Last edited:

digitalwizard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
V. Cool! Yeah throw some photos up when you get 'em. They Beasty!! I almost feel like I should have more Tats and metal chains for some reason rockin' these. lol! I think you might be surprised that the hit isn't as dramatic as you might think.
Got them on a few days ago and took a road trip yesterday. Logged 248 miles and getting an average of 1.77 mi/kwh. Mix of city/highway with an hour long traffic jam. In perfect conditions on a flat stretch of highway, I'm getting 1.9 mi/kwh (which should be a little higher since I'm configured for 21 tires)

Currently still configured for the 21 tires, so I'm measuring distance via gps and manually calculating mi/kwh by looking at total energy used. Honestly it's a very small difference, so I'm not sure it's worth configuring the truck for the AT 20's. Reseting the range calculations should allow the truck to learn the expected range.

Overall I'm happy with them. Road noise increase is noticeable but not that loud at all. Way better than some Jeeps I've herd. Got some rain yesterday and they performed well in the rain.

Next up is to hit the trails by my house and test out their off-road capability!

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_0212

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_0215

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_0237

OP
OP
opnwide

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Got them on a few days ago and took a road trip yesterday. Logged 248 miles and getting an average of 1.77 mi/kwh. Mix of city/highway with an hour long traffic jam. In perfect conditions on a flat stretch of highway, I'm getting 1.9 mi/kwh (which should be a little higher since I'm configured for 21 tires)

Currently still configured for the 21 tires, so I'm measuring distance via gps and manually calculating mi/kwh by looking at total energy used. Honestly it's a very small difference, so I'm not sure it's worth configuring the truck for the AT 20's. Reseting the range calculations should allow the truck to learn the expected range.

Overall I'm happy with them. Road noise increase is noticeable but not that loud at all. Way better than some Jeeps I've herd. Got some rain yesterday and they performed well in the rain.

Next up is to hit the trails by my house and test out their off-road capability!

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg
Very cool! Looks great. Yes, I’m sure coming from 21’s it does have more noise, but when you come from the AT Pirelli 20’s it’s awfully similar. They do clear water and slush really well. We had a big snow dump in CO this week and they did much better than the OEM Pirelli AT’s. So far my range numbers are similar to yours. Sweet spot for efficiency is highway at 60-65. (Drop off more dramatic at 75-80). City stop-and-go does take more of a hit with added weight to get rolling, but I’m digging them so far. (Running at 60psi).

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Looks good.
I'm wearing Toyo Open Country and get the same mi/kw. Similar handling snow, slush water.

You will be happy.

Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
20240229_160711.jpg
20240302_094628.jpg
20240229_160711.jpg
20240302_094628.jpg

Take a look, dirty, winter driving.
Sorry about the auto correction....
Awesome thanks! Sorry to ask, but any full side profile pics and any from rear to see how far they stick out the side?

how do they ride compared to the stoc pirellis?

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
I will get pics in the morning.
Stock Pirelli were on for 2000 miles. All Highway from Topsfield, MA some around town in New York City and Chicago, then to Omaha NE where we finally found the only tires in our size that were ready for the Colorado mountain roads Denver to Vail and Aspen. Stock tires were smooth, quiet, hard and very slippery. Did not like road feel compared to 5 years wearing Blizzaks all the time, then stock Pirelli on a Grand Cherokee. Swapped without regret for way smother ride, 48 psi up from rolling out of Firestone at 32 which was super soft. They are a much smoother ride with serious grip. Great in the recent snow. Firm grip in slush and wet roads. Slight increase in noise but nominally louder, my Bride heard the sound once and never noticed again even with windows open. Now to 9000 miles in 121 days---> very happy.

digitalwizard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I can report that the Mickey’s did great in the mud. I turned down the traction control and it made for some great fun (and a bit of a mess ;)). Now to wait for things to dry out a bit and take it on some more trails.

Rivian R1T R1S Mickey Thompson Baja Boss 20" AT Tires Installed -- Like Nebraska, honestly, it's not for everyone... IMG_0339
Sponsored