Sponsored

Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S)

totmafang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 1674911237870

I got mine delivered a week ago with very low 2022 VIN# 80x. Probably got rejected the first time and went back to Normal for 3+ month (built 09/22). I have exactly the same issue with the lift-gate sticking out just like yours (right side is worse) along with the bottom (need to push in hard one side for the top to close). I suspect the rear liftgate assembly has alignment issues at high rate. All the lower door black plastic trims along with the wheel well ones of mine all have big gaps and alignment issues. The top silver trim under the roof on the driver's side is bulged out like 0.3 inch. My charging port panel is scrapping the front panel while closing; driver's seat and steering wheel memory unavailable until serviced.....I will probably find more issues this weekend as I was quite busy the past week. The delivery guy was very nice, but all he could do at delivery was to help me submit tickets on the phone app. I got a call back the next day with earliest service appointment date at Chicago service center in 2+ weeks, which was the earliest available date among all service centers. Oh, check your underbody rocker panels. Mine were not installed properly with big gaps (not pushed all the way in to interlock). I hope and think the service center will address all these issues eventually, but as more vehicles are delivered with these issues, this service center and parts long-wait issue will only get much worse.
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

1674911237870.png

I got mine delivered a week ago with very low 2022 VIN# 80x. Probably got rejected the first time and went back to Normal for 3+ month (built 09/22). I have exactly the same issue with the lift-gate sticking out just like yours (right side is worse) along with the bottom (need to push in hard one side for the top to close). I suspect the rear liftgate assembly has alignment issues at high rate. All the lower door black plastic trims along with the wheel well ones of mine all have big gaps and alignment issues. The top silver trim under the roof on the driver's side is bulged out like 0.3 inch. My charging port panel is scrapping the front panel while closing; driver's seat and steering wheel memory unavailable until serviced.....I will probably find more issues this weekend as I was quite busy the past week. The delivery guy was very nice, but all he could do at delivery was to help me submit tickets on the phone app. I got a call back the next day with earliest service appointment date at Chicago service center in 2+ weeks, which was the earliest available date among all service centers. Oh, check your underbody rocker panels. Mine were not installed properly with big gaps (not pushed all the way in to interlock). I hope and think the service center will address all these issues eventually, but as more vehicles are delivered with these issues, this service center and parts long-wait issue will only get much worse.
Sorry for your issues. If it takes the SCs getting overloaded with this sort of stuff then that is Rivians fault for not building them right, not catching them in QC, not catching it at the SC and having to few SCs. The alignment of the rear tailgate should be easy to check and then dial in before vehicles leave.

HumanGenome

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Holy crap these are insane. None of these hardware issues on my R1S thankfully. All of the alignment is nearly perfect, the tailgate is maybe slightly having some panel gaps but that's me being overly picky. The software/nuance issues though are spot on. Hope they replace your vehicle.

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Model 3, ‘22 Model Y, R1S reservation holder
Occupation
Physician
One more, a slight misalignment of the door.

I'll stop now.

IMG_0937.jpeg
What's your approx VIN number? Seems like they have very many kinks to work out ala Tesla in early days for each of their models.

Sponsored

doozenberg

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘18 Model 3, ‘22 Model Y, R1S reservation holder
Occupation
Physician
1674911237870.png

What prevented you from rejecting delivery?

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

1674911237870.png

I got mine yesterday and I have a similar gap on the left side.
I'm not too concerned and I submitted a request.

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) IMG_3189

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What's your approx VIN number? Seems like they have very many kinks to work out ala Tesla in early days for each of their models.
VIN is 11XX. I’m not sure why I got this car so late (December), other than that perhaps it had known issues which kept it back.

I’m a bit fearful that I can’t know about any issues that I can’t see with my naked eye.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I got mine yesterday and I have a similar gap on the left side.
I'm not too concerned and I submitted a request.

IMG_3189.jpg
The tailgates on the S seem to persistently have these issues and they should not be accepted.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I told my guide about these issues weeks before delivery (I found my VIN in the lot) but nothing was done. I accepted delivery because both my existing cars were hit by other motorists in a freak coincidence and I was carless. With an upcoming road trip coming up I was desperate. This delivery saved thousands in rental car fees. However, this car was delivered outside at night and I wasn’t able to see all of the issues. As long as these be fixed, everything will be fine.

That said, I fear some issues still lurk hidden, invisible to the naked eye, to be discovered later.

Sponsored

totmafang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Cause I have been waiting for almost 3 years and I kinda hope they will do some adjustments to make it better. The interior and the front hood look pretty good

Reactions: Rad

totmafang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Cause I have been waiting for almost 3 years and I kinda hope they will do some adjustments to make it better. The interior and the front hood look pretty good
Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 681DB570-42F8-4761-BFCF-67C577A513F4

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 483C64C1-DE97-4076-BB76-8440BADA597A

totmafang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
These are my liftgates and taillights. I sent my R1S to Chicago service center since this Monday and I have not heard anything from them yet. The service guy told me they will probably not touch my liftgate since it passed high pressure waterproof test at the factory and they were told by engineer department as long as it opens and closes properly they shouldn’t touch it since it might cause water leaking issue. I guess I will have to live with it. And mine also drained about 7 miles per day by sitting in the garage and I turned everything off (no gear guard, proximity off at home, no plug in) The ride on the 20” AT tires is kinda bouncy sideways. Maybe I’m not used to it yet, but I did feel like I needed to use extra force to control the steering wheel to keep it stable when passing bigger potholes. Some more pictures with misalignments and loose trims

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) CF234478-90E3-4204-8AF6-B5B81BBC5E77

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) ED14F992-3DF0-40AE-B98C-3C67382451AF

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 14C36C14-5D31-4E8F-ADF0-A07BD4DAD97D

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 320E26AC-4B7F-4AA3-9B74-AD5414C46984

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) D54BBFDC-695D-4FDC-A345-63670E88ADB5

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) F86080EF-366F-456C-A979-953E6C0E6CD0

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 4866399A-F2DF-4978-9164-A67C3638E6AA

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) 7581FD47-09C7-4A43-B4AE-BDFF1D60C34E

Rivian R1T R1S Mini-review at 1500 miles (R1S) AF948856-E574-4B58-91D9-146225D5B2B7

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Initial throttle response is heavier than any other electric, making the car feel like a tank. Which, admittedly, it is.
I feel this very much in my truck.

OP
OP
NineElectrics

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The service guy told me they will probably not touch my liftgate since it passed high pressure waterproof test at the factory and they were told by engineer department as long as it opens and closes properly they shouldn’t touch it since it might cause water leaking issue.
That's a bullshit response. What if the lift gate had been in an accident and needed to be repaired? Is the service center not capable of repairing the car? They just don't want to repair it, because they're overwhelmed. If they won't repair it, it's a lemon and goes back to the factory, plain and simple. The resale hit on such a crooked car will be substantial.

I'm sorry to see your misalignments; that sucks. The worst of it is that someone who inspected the car made a conscious choice to give you this burden and screw you on resale.
Sponsored