First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
When I removed the driver front wheel a screw fell to the ground. Took me a few minutes to figure out where it came from. It screws in flush on the hub face. I have no idea what it's for. There is only one on the hub face and it's located outside the the lug bolt perimeter. Just speculation but I wonder if this loose screw had been causing the fornt suspension rattle I was having under 25 mph. That rattle stopped on it's own maybe because it got jammed. I forgot to take a picture and I'm not taking my wheel off again. This is what the screw head looked like but larger.
Rivian R1T R1S Misc. Screw fell out during tire rotation 1688324303442
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
When I removed the driver front wheel a screw fell to the ground. Took me a few minutes to figure out where it came from. It screws in flush on the hub face. I have no idea what it's for. There is only one on the hub face and it's located outside the the lug bolt perimeter. Just speculation but I wonder if this loose screw had been causing the fornt suspension rattle I was having under 25 mph. That rattle stopped on it's own maybe because it got jammed. I forgot to take a picture and I'm not taking my wheel off again. This is what the screw head looked like but larger.
1688324303442.png
Are you referring to this one? It just keeps the rotor tight when the wheel is off, helps to make sure all is square when the lugs are torqued. Once the wheel is on and torqued it really has no purpose.

Rivian R1T R1S Misc. Screw fell out during tire rotation IMG_3380

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Are you referring to this one? It just keeps the rotor tight when the wheel is off, helps to make sure all is square when the lugs are torqued. Once the wheel is on and torqued it really has no purpose.

IMG_3380.jpeg
That's what it is.👍

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This just happened to me during a tire rotation. I didn't have a torx bit that large, so I used a large flathead to get it somewhat tight to the wheel hub before putting the tire on. Relieved to find this thread!

Rivian R1T R1S Misc. Screw fell out during tire rotation IMG_6557

Rivian R1T R1S Misc. Screw fell out during tire rotation IMG_6555

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Looks like it serves the same purpose as the star washers on most new vehicles. Used primarily to keep the rotor in place on the assembly line. I like this better. Those star washers can be a huge problem if they are not removed when aftermarket wheels are installed if the wheels don't have a recess for them.
Sponsored