Sponsored

Modifying the side underbody plastic panels for rock sliders + leased vehicle?

buffaloNYR1T

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota Sienna Platinum (on way out)
Occupation
Tech Strategy
Apologies if this has been asked before but haven’t seen any one post this yet.

Leased my R1T, but really want to put rock sliders on. Mounting kits give instructions for modifying the plastic covers where the brackets mount to- but is this an issue for a leased vehicle?
Thanks!
Sponsored

shimps1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Yes. Best to not do anything that isn't reversible. You can install the sliders and keep the plastic off, instead of cutting it.

I'd be more concerned with damage from rock crawling, than cutting the plastic, however.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
For what it's worth, I believe the EVSportsline Rock Sliders (not the running boards) require you to remove the outside panels underneath - their sliders essentially replace those panels.

My plan when I get mine is to just safe those panels in the event I ever want to sell my vehicle. There was a recent video EVSportsline posted showing how one could cut the panels to provide a better fit (not gaps at all) - but I confirmed that's not required.

YMMV

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Apologies if this has been asked before but haven’t seen any one post this yet.

Leased my R1T, but really want to put rock sliders on. Mounting kits give instructions for modifying the plastic covers where the brackets mount to- but is this an issue for a leased vehicle?
Thanks!
Yes, its an issue unfortunately. With that said, depending on how important they are to you ...you can always remove the sliders and replace the panels with new ones before you return it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
There are a couple brands of sliders that replace those panels so I would go with one of those, then pop them back on when your lease is up. If you decide to keep it at the end of the lease then it would be a non-issue.

I know DCE’s sliders are one. Can’t recall the other I’ve seen.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Just remember ... ANY damage you incur (dents, dings, scratches, gouges) by off roading with the vehicle will be held against you when you return the vehicle. I've leased many vehicles in the past and at turn in time, they are gone over with a fine toothed comb for ANY damage that they can charge me for. I've disappointed many an inspector over the years as I tend to keep my vehicles pristine.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I installed the DCE sliders on my R1T and have the plastic panels in storage. I doubt I'll ever put them back on, but I could do it in a few hours if I needed to. The DCE sliders are great --thanks @DCE. They've taken some non-trivial abuse including the full weight of the truck between them and boulders/rocks. They've definitely paid for themselves already. ;-)
Sponsored