Sponsored

Mounting a cell phone. Has anyone done it?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Have you reached out to us on this?

Rivian seems to have some wide tolerances with the top of the dash that leads to what you see. There is a replacement part that we send out for free when this is reported.

https://opensourceev.com/pages/contact-us

Edit:

It looks like you reached out about 90 minutes before your post. I've since responded and created a replacement order for the longer part.
@Sevn86 I was having the same issues. I was about to give up, but the longer part that @RWerksman is referencing fixed my issues.
Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
@Sevn86 I was having the same issues. I was about to give up, but the longer part that @RWerksman is referencing fixed my issues.
Yes, I received the longer version and it definitely latches better. I’m still very concerned about the material itself as I broke the tabs on the back of the 17mm ball the last time trying to install it. Customer service has been great as I was sent a free replacement. I don’t want to try to adjust anything for fear it will break again though so I’ve tightened everything the best I can.

If I could provide feedback for anything, I would recommend maybe using some type of metal material or a stronger plastic so the tabs don’t break that hold the ball in place.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
FDM printing isn't the way to go for these parts. There are vendors that will print the parts in nylon which will be the most durable solution. That is most likely what I will do, or just design my own personal copy of the everyamp mount and print it for myself.
I’ll pay to get one made of stronger material. I think it’s a great concept and love the location of this mount, but I don’t know how long it will last.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Yes, I received the longer version and it definitely latches better. I’m still very concerned about the material itself as I broke the tabs on the back of the 17mm ball the last time trying to install it. Customer service has been great as I was sent a free replacement. I don’t want to try to adjust anything for fear it will break again though so I’ve tightened everything the best I can.
Go ahead and adjust it. If need be, I'll send over another. :)

FWIW - I rolled out a slightly updated design of the balls that is just starting to show up - slightly larger nubs, different infill, and different layering settings to better robustness. This was more part of a standardization of all the products, but it's worthwhile mentioning, regardless.

I also have an option of potentially making a more 'heavy duty' ball using the delrin pins if someone really wants one, but to be fair, I think I've heard from less than a dozen folks who had issues with the ball since they were introduced earlier this year. I think somewhere around 2,000 (maybe 2,500?) are in play across all the products that use them.

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian R1T R1S Mounting a cell phone.  Has anyone done it? IMG_56382

Heres mine, Rob recently sent me the extended version. I have mine mounted this way, fully visible and also completely out of the way of the vent.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

IMG_56382.png

Heres mine, Rob recently sent me the extended version. I have mine mounted this way, fully visible and also completely out of the way of the vent.
I like this setup. Can you provide the source of the charger and "Listen" magnetic holder. Thanks

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I like this setup. Can you provide the source of the charger and "Listen" magnetic holder. Thanks
Parts list:
Left side mount
https://opensourceev.com/products/left-phone-ball-mount-v2
17mm ball

OBDII USB Converter
https://opensourceev.com/products/scosche-obd-ii-to-usb-adapter?_pos=1&_psq=sco&_ss=e&_v=1.0

MagSafe mount
LISEN for 15W MagSafe Car Mount Charger [No More Heating] iPhone Wireless Car Charger Magnetic Phone Holder Mount, Automobile Car Phone Holder Vent Fit iPhone 15 Pro Plus Max 14 13 12 MagSafe Case https://a.co/d/0r4P8jZ
Sponsored