Sponsored

Music volume setting range

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
Is this normal? My R1S's volume needs to be set really low (4) for normal listening. At 5 it's comfortably loud, and people have to start raising their voices. And at 3 it's pretty faint. So I only use 3-5 and so I don't have a smooth range of volume (either faint, normal, or loud). This happens with all my music sources (Bluetooth from phone or any car-sourced audio).

I've tried enabling/disabling 3D sound and dynamic adjustment; they have limited impact.

What volume level range do you normally use in your Rivian? Do you use 3D sound and/or dynamic adjustment?
Sponsored

Reactions: Guy

MrMusAddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analyst
That sounds abnormal. For me, 20 provides a full but not uncomfortable volume. 15 is more calm but still plenty audible. 25 is too loud.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I think this is wholly dependent on your source AND whether or not your windows are open.

If I'm listening to podcasts with the windows gapped for air, 22 easily.

If I switch over to Music (also on bluetooth), if I don't turn it down to ~12 first, I'm going to rattle some eardrums.

I also listen to podcast/vlogs over YouTube from time to time and similar story--they land somewhere in the middle.

But, if it's a family trip, the windows are up, and we want to have a conversation with some background noise, the music can be heard at volume 2 without issues.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I have a similar issue. Level 1 is faint, 2 doubles the sound and is normal and I donā€™t go above 5 ever. I would like more granularity between levels. This is with windows always closed and radio.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
I have a similar issue. Level 1 is faint, 2 doubles the sound and is normal and I donā€™t go above 5 ever. I would like more granularity between levels. This is with windows always closed and radio.
I am in similar boat. '1' is very faint and '2' is too loud if I want to have a conversation. I would love to have a '1.5' :D
VIN: 27xxx

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
Yes, ours was similar. 1 is barely audible. 2 interrupts conversations. Above 3 and I get asked if Iā€™m rocking out. It was quite annoying and I constantly wished they would introduce more granular volume notches (Tesla had this problem a while ago too).

But the latest update to SOMETHING has changed that. Now I find myself in the 7-10 range. So either a recent iPhone update changed something or the Halloween update on the R1S did it. Or itā€™s just a bug and Iā€™ll get in one day and blow all the speakers.

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
I concur - I think Rivian has made a change to volume control. I used to have my audio (spotify music) at a volume level of 4 and that was plenty loud. Now, I need to crank it up to 12-14 to get the same output. This coincided with a service visit where they replaced a amplifier (TSB about not sufficient power to rear speakers or something like that) but there was the SW roll out of .38 at around the same time. I think its .38 that has brought the volume level up for some of us.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

concur - I think Rivian has made a change to volume control.
We had something in our R1S the other day that was too loud at 3. Next song was too quiet at 5. Would be nice to get some volume leveling, but after turning off the automatic volume adjust for speed, it got way better. I think the Rivians are too quiet for auto-volume unless you have a significant amount of gear on the roof.
Sponsored