Sponsored

twizzstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2018 Model 3, 2017 Model X
I got tired of waiting for Rivian to have spares available, so I put together my own setup.

Bought a wheel/tire off eBay from someone who got aftermarket wheels right after delivery.

I originally bought a jack kit from EV Sportline, only to find out it can’t actually lift the rear of the truck off the ground when following Rivian’s guidance to use the highest suspension setting for jacking. No-go for me. After a bit of searching, I found out the jack that comes with Mercedes Sprinters is a 3.5T jack that goes to about 25” without unscrewing the top at all. About 28” with the top screwed out. More than enough to jack the Rivian in any situation. These jacks can easily be found new on eBay for $75, sometimes less. I think it’s made in Germany, and seems much better built than the typical Chinese bottle jack. The only catch is these jacks have a saddle on top for the Sprinter. It is attached with a spring pin so it’s easy to remove. I put this saddle on my lathe and turned it down to a cylinder that just fits into the bottom of my jack pucks, and powder coated it black for good measure.

Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit IMG_0101

Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit IMG_0102

Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit 71115849434__3F8AABAE-0D18-4A09-AF20-E7AEC88F4D1B

I bought an ARB jack base and a cheap extendable lug nut wrench to round out the kit. To secure the wheel to the truck I got a threaded rod and rubber knob from McMaster, which goes through a hole on the ARB base. Then to tie it all together, I made a foam insert that squeezes into the wheel and holds the jack, wrench, and even the center cap for the wheel. I cut the foam on my CNC router with a laser (although with my 7w laser it took a lot of slow passes and doesn’t look great)

Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit IMG_0165

Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit IMG_0173

Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit IMG_0182

Very happy with this setup, and much more comfortable taking the truck to more remote areas.
Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit IMG_0108
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Way better and much safer than that sketchy/super cheap scissors jack Rivian supplies with their tire kit!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

steeling this idea

booslim45

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Do you have the links to the threaded rod and rubber knob from McMaster?

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I just bought a Mercedes jack from eBay for $65, thank's to your post.

You've got some nice toys.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

OP
OP
twizzstyle

twizzstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you have the links to the threaded rod and rubber knob from McMaster?
For the knob:
Comfort-Grip Plastic Five Arm Knob, with M10 x 1.5mm Thread 57mm Wide Head

https://www.mcmaster.com/61125K94

For the wheel alone (with some kind of super wide washer or plate to span the center cap hole) a stud like this would work:
Black-Oxide Steel Threaded on Both Ends Stud, M10 x 1.5mm Thread, 35mm and 16mm Thread Lengths, 140mm Long

https://www.mcmaster.com/93210A045

The ARB base adds about 1.4”, so I went with a 175mm stud. I also have a 1/4” thick UHMW plate between the wheel and ARB base, though it’s not really necessary with the ARB base there. That was just my first idea for holding the wheel and I left it. Here’s what that plate looks like before I got the hand knob.
Rivian R1T R1S My DIY Spare Tire Kit 71123610438__3DB7D89B-FB45-45D9-9C76-F6ADEDB72CA7

cmugler

First Name
charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kona EV, Sprinter Bambi conversion
Occupation
retrired
where do you buy the jack pucks for the rivian?

OP
OP
twizzstyle

twizzstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
where do you buy the jack pucks for the rivian?
I’m using these:
https://electruck4x4.com/products/b...MIqsiXy_2jgAMVygGtBh0Dfw55EAAYASAAEgLhKvD_BwE

However, it would be VERY easy to machine an adapter that attaches to the jack directly since I had to modify the jack saddle anyways. Just a small round slug of steel with a nubbin on top to fit in the jack hole. I decided to stick with the pucks and machine the jack top flat, in case I needed to lift somewhere else on the truck (I.e. eventually I’ll likely get rock sliders and may want to jack from there)

OP
OP
twizzstyle

twizzstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just bought a Mercedes jack from eBay for $65, thank's to you post.

You've got some nice toys.
You’ll like it. You could cut/grind down the saddle with an angle grinder pretty easy if you don’t have access to a lathe, it just won’t be as pretty. Doesn’t need to be perfect, just has to fit whatever puck you’re using and not wobble around.

Sponsored

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

You’ll like it. You could cut/grind down the saddle with an angle grinder pretty easy if you don’t have access to a lathe, it just won’t be as pretty. Doesn’t need to be perfect, just has to fit whatever puck you’re using and not wobble around.
While I do have a set o pucks, I don’t really need them. I removed the plastic trim panels when I installed my running boards. I have access to all of the jack points.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
So all I need is all of the components, the tools, the know how and the ability to make all of that stuff myself? Piece of cake! But seriously, why don’t you make a bunch of kits yourself and sell them? Can I be your first customer? What an awesome setup.

OP
OP
twizzstyle

twizzstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So all I need is all of the components, the tools, the know how and the ability to make all of that stuff myself? Piece of cake! But seriously, why don’t you make a bunch of kits yourself and sell them? Can I be your first customer? What an awesome setup.
You gotta up your DIY game!

Admittedly (without bragging), my DIY abilities are slightly above average, but there’s no rocket science here. You can cut this foam by hand. You could modify the jack with an angle grinder.

If I had more time I’d sell this kind of thing, but it’s hard enough to find time for my own projects.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
You gotta up your DIY game!

Admittedly (without bragging), my DIY abilities are slightly above average, but there’s no rocket science here. You can cut this foam by hand. You could modify the jack with an angle grinder.

If I had more time I’d sell this kind of thing, but it’s hard enough to find time for my own projects.
I’m hoping to do just that. We’ve moved so many times I can’t stay somewhere long enough to get a good shop set up yet. Soon I hope. Soon. Your post is giving me lots and lots of motivation! 👍🏻

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
Damn, nice work! Agree, sell em' up Dawg!
Sponsored