First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
No experience with these guys but definitely thinking about doing something like this as the 12v system definitely seems to be a weak spot.
Now that seems like a great alternative!!

Two Lithium batts w/built-in protection circuit for $449 (includes 2 batts) vs. $1,000 for two old-school lead acid batts w/no protection... hmmm, hard choice 😁
Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

No towing charges, the towing charges were waived off. It's only for replacing the 12 V batteries.
So battery failure isn’t warrantied? If they were still good they could be recharged. I must be missing something.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
No experience with these guys but definitely thinking about doing something like this as the 12v system definitely seems to be a weak spot.
Agree that the 12v system appears to be a weak spot but I'd have a few concerns about using lithium batteries. They are able to discharge no matter what the temperature is but they cannot be charged if their core drops below 35F. Mos, including the ones in the video, have a management system that shuts them down so they can't be damaged when they're cold. It appears that the Ohmmu batteries do not have a heating system, so they will need to wait until the ambient air temp increases to get recharged.

That seems like it may be a problem, but perhaps I'm missing something.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Newer chemistry Lithium batteries can go down to much lower temps.
As we know.. Tesla now uses a 12V Lithium battery in the Model Y and possibly the Model 3 without a heater.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
These batteries don't have any high current draw. They should be Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePO4). I would like to switch them out. I wonder if switching them out would cause a glitch with the 12V charging system.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
These batteries don't have any high current draw. They should be Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries (LiFePO4). I would like to switch them out. I wonder if switching them out would cause a glitch with the 12V charging system.
Watch the video in post # 215.. after you install the new Lithium batteries, you do a full reset and that clears all the error codes.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Their website makes a lot of claims about increased capacity AND reduced weight but for the life of me I couldn't find the capacity compared anywhere. Did I miss something?
Our trucks are already so heavy I'd rather keep the 16lb weight but have a much higher capacity for sitting around draining. But perhaps the Rivian software wouldn't allow the battery to discharge that much so it would be negated anyways. Beyond my knowledge.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
It's wild to hear that Rivian thinks even 1%/day is acceptable.

We've left my wife's XC40 Recharge at the airport for 2 separate week long trips, and came back to the same SoC as when we left.

Here's someone who left theirs unplugged at home and only lost 1% in 6 weeks!!!

https://www.xc40forum.com/threads/good-news-xc40-garaged-for-6-weeks-and-works-fine.5869/
What's really wild is there are customers or soon-to-be customers (many on this forum) that find it acceptable. Any electric vehicle that uses more electricity than the water heater for my entire house just staying parked in a garage is obscene. It's a mind-boggling waste of electricity. Bottom line, if the customers don't complain enough, Rivian will do nothing.

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

What's really wild is there are customers or soon-to-be customers (many on this forum) that find it acceptable. Any electric vehicle that uses more electricity than the water heater for my entire house just staying parked in a garage is obscene. It's a mind-boggling waste of electricity. Bottom line, if the customers don't complain enough, Rivian will do nothing.
+100

"Normal" does not equal "okay long term"

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
No towing charges, the towing charges were waived off. It's only for replacing the 12 V batteries.
Why aren't the batteries covered under warranty? They shouldn't die from being discharged. This was not your negligence. There's no way in hell that I would pay that bill.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Why aren't the batteries covered under warranty? They shouldn't die from being discharged. This was not your negligence. There's no way in hell that I would pay that bill.
the battery pack is covered under warranty, but I guess not the 12v?
Sponsored