First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Howdy friends! Thought I would share this photo. My family and I are headed into Yosemite to camp for a few days. This bike hauling setup is custom and working great so far. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have them.
Happy treading,

UPDATE: So, after two trips from San Jose to Yosemite Valley with this setup, I got 1.38 mi per kWh going about 70mph on the highways. That includes the elevation gain from 200 to 6500. This setup is great as I can park in a normal lot pretty safely. We're going again in a couple weeks where I'm going to have all four bikes on the trailer hitch. It will be interesting to see the difference in efficiency. I'll report back after the trip with more pics of the setup and results.

Rivian R1T R1S My ultimate bike rack setup for heavy ebikes IMG_3750
Sponsored

Last edited:

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Nuts! Cost vs. Kuat Piston?

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Slick. Other than my road bike, I have a small Lectric e-bike that folds. Havent tried the gear tunnel yet but it could possibly fit. Looking to upgrade to a full size/better/more powerful ebike sometime. Those look nice.

Reactions: Ash

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Great looking outfit. Nice job.

Brian

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Nuts! Cost vs. Kuat Piston?
I can't really compare the cost for you because I started with an extended Thule rack and modified it beyond recognition. Metal is pretty cheap if you know where to buy it and can weld. I would say the time it took was the most expensive. The thing about the Kuat and the Thule carriers is they don't work great if you have a front fender on your bike. My Revv1 (the bike closest to the tailgate) has a nice fender on it, so I ended up making that entire carrier from scratch to fit that bike or any other bike with a 20x4 front wheel. It turned out great, but it is a bit heavy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Updated post with more info.

kpx110

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Occupation
developer
For heavy bikes the 1up is the way to go. Very similar to what is hitched in picture

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
For heavy bikes the 1up is the way to go. Very similar to what is hitched in picture
Actually, that is a Ride1Up Revv1. Good eye. It's about to get a bunch of mods too. hehe

kpx110

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Occupation
developer
Actually, that is a Ride1Up Revv1. Good eye. It's about to get a bunch of mods too. hehe
Just curious how do you wanna modify it?

OP
OP

Ash

First Name
Ash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T & 19' GX460
Occupation
Real Estate
Just curious how do you wanna modify it?
It's a bit funky. I want more acceleration, but the bike is nicely integrated with lights and the speedo. The top speed is a solid 36mph, which is plenty for me. So... I'm going to do something silly and add a BBSHD mid drive with another 52v battery and run them both at the same time. Sort of a parallel drive. I already bought all the parts and I'm planning to film the unboxing, install, setup and tune as I try to get them to play nice together on the same throttle. Also got new front forks and I'm going to add some paint here and there. I might look for a longer travel rear shock as well. Just a fun project. I think it might turn out pretty cool, but we'll have to see.

Sponsored

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
1up is a bike rack company and ride1up is an e-bike company. As someone with both, I loved this exchange.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Nice looking set-up! I use a 1Up off the hitch for both of our e-Bikes.

If you add four bikes to the rear bumper beware that anything longer than 4 feet beyond the rear bumper must be marked with proper flags/markers/lights.
Sponsored