Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
And yet the supposedly crappy charging companies have solved this years ago. Never had an issue with cable length at any CCS charger.
The cables might be longer at the CCS charging stations, but the Superchargers are way more reliable and better maintained. There are also more of them per station (8+ vs. 2-4).

Honestly I think when Tesla started to build the Supercharger network they never had the intention of sharing it with other automakers, but they are actively trying to fix it now. They want EVs to succeed and they make money off of the Supercharger network. They’ll get it sorted out eventually.

The cables might be longer at the CCS charging stations, but the Superchargers are way more reliable and better maintained. There are also more of them per station (8+ vs. 2-4).
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T

Honestly I think when Tesla started to build the Supercharger network they never had the intention of sharing it with other automakers, but they are actively trying to fix it now. They want EVs to succeed and they make money off of the Supercharger network. They’ll get it sorted out eventually.

Yep they are more reliable than EA or EVGo but I don't think they are more reliable than RAN which also has longer cables. Not sure why a lot are trying to defend Tesla, it's their responsibility to accommodate other EVs if they want to open their network. End of story. If they were keeping it private then I totally understand why their cables are that short. I don't have confidence that Tesla will sort it out anytime soon. It's not like they have been replacing cables on V3 chargers or replacing V3 charging stalls with V4s. Seems like V4s are still very rare.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Longer is more expansive, I am sure they are already running their current setup at capacity even with active cooling, increasing length almost certainly means increasing gauge too. And with proposed extension they just want to pass the cost onto consumers, this is why i think its bad idea.
From Tesla's website, "Tesla is rapidly deploying our latest V4 Supercharger post which reaches all EVs in the same Supercharger stall." In the 2-ish years it will take Rivian to get the R2 out the door, many of the current Tesla dispensers will have the v4 (longer) cables.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
From Tesla's website, "Tesla is rapidly deploying our latest V4 Supercharger post which reaches all EVs in the same Supercharger stall." In the 2-ish years it will take Rivian to get the R2 out the door, many of the current Tesla dispensers will have the v4 (longer) cables.
Maybe for new supercharger locations. I really doubt it's going to be a quick swap with all the current V3 stalls. That is what will be the issue.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm perfectly fine with EA if there is no waiting. If some (or most) EA customers go to Tesla for charging, I'm happy to stay with EA.
Sponsored