First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LELGRN
Occupation
Healthcare
Hey all, I'm new here - and I mainly joined to seek advice from those people here who seem knowledgeable.

I've locked configuration on an R1S, Performance Dual Motor, Large Battery with 21 inch wheels. That was back in November and there is no estimated delivery.

While exploring the R1 shop (as I do almost daily) I found an R1S, with the same specs, but it was a quad. Cost was essentially $3K more. The price isn't really a deterrent at this point - I mostly want the better vehicle.

I made my decision after watching Sandy Munroe's tear down of the DM variant and Kyle's (out of spec) assessment of the DM vs. Quad.

But I'm starting to have second thoughts. The only way to change things at this point would be to buy from the Shop - which would be nice to get it earlier, but that isn't exactly a deal breaker either.

So - now that the DM have been out for a while, is there anything that people are hearing or know from first had experience that would sway them one way or the other?

Appreciate the thinking!
I went pre-owned quad R1T. So on
Sponsored

R1TAPRAK

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LELGRN
Occupation
Healthcare
I went pre-owned R1T. So in love with the truck. Got a very sweet deal from a Rivian employee. To me if you want the 20 AT wheel which to me is the only configuration to get you get the most bang for your buck with quad. Range hit is less for quad on 20's and way more tire options. If you put road tires on you get same efficiency as 21's. This was a big factor in me going quad

ev_fanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I was in a similar quandry and decided to go with the quad. Here's my thread - might help:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...acceleration-nvh-and-other-differences.22934/

My main reasons for quad+large over dual+max were:
- The additional HP is apparent (to me) when at higher speeds (e.g. 50-70 mph)
- The cost to additional range ratio is pretty bad for the DM, and I'll only be using that additional bit once or twice a year when I'm on a long road trip. I also expect the number of chargers to go up quickly here in CA, and combined with Tesla Supercharger access, the value of the max pack diminishes even more.
- Extra 1 year of warranty on the quad
- I'll mostly be on tarmac and the torque vectoring enabled by the quad is enticing
- Drift & rally modes sound like fun!
- Hopefully the software on the quad will keep improving (esp with ML algorithms) to the point where there isn't anything falling short of dual - even off road.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

For only 3k more there is no way to talk yourself into NOT GETTING THE QM, if nothing else, the resale is likely to be higher than the DM. Also, if worried about range, some people on the forum have switched to more efficient tires and been able to squeeze ~350-360 miles out of the QMs. A QM on 20" tires is the way to go, if not 20s then 22, I would avoid the 21s since there are so few tires available...

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Well, 1 more year….so the “significance” is relative…
I don't do extended warranties, but I wonder what a 1 year extension would cost for one of these things?

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don't do extended warranties, but I wonder what a 1 year extension would cost for one of these things?
Here you go. $3,300 for one extra year and 20,000 miles with $0 deductible. Subtract $500 - $750 for 10,000 extra miles.

prices increase every calendar year and as you add an additional 10,000 miles.

cheapest pricing is buying the warranty the same calendar year as purchase and before 10,000 miles driven.

Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual IMG_8220
Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual IMG_8221

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
@ixtimes, tally another vote from random internet guy for Quad Motor.
not yet mentioned is that QM has much more robust silicon carbide inverters on front and rear drive units where as DM has cheaper IGBT inverters that have a shorter lifespan.
If range is the most important factor DM is still great. Most EV's use IGBT's in their drive units only a handful are using silicon carbide. I believe Tesla only uses them in Plaid trims for example.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Here you go. $3,300 for one extra year and 20,000 miles with $0 deductible. Subtract $500 - $750 for 10,000 extra miles.

prices increase every calendar year and as you add an additional 10,000 miles.

cheapest pricing is buying the warranty the same calendar year as purchase and before 10,000 miles driven.

IMG_8220.png
IMG_8221.png
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!!

one44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I went through a similar process back in December before taking my Dual Performance delivery and at the end couldn't really justify the slight extra cost, while also being a bit concerned about quality / support for the current Quads long term.

I may be totally off base in the long run, but I had the feeling that the Quads would eventually be replaced by the Rivian made motors this or next year, potentially decreasing the value of the current Quads long-term. I was also concerned about the early issues with Quads with motors failing and thought 4 failure points vs. 2 wasn't worth the risk when I'm not gaining much other benefit for my day to day usage. The final concern was that I was picking my R1T from inventory and I thought that the Quads there may have been sitting around longer than the Duals or be early builds that they are trying to clear. May not be the case anymore as the shop has been open for longer now, but it did play a factor in my thinking.

Even with the above I was tempted to just get the Quads because I do like the yellow calipers and accented lettering, but ultimately made the call to stick to dual performance. My R1T is already faster than my Model 3 Dual Motor was and I rarely get to use its full power, so I'm not really missing that .5 second bump.

Edit: forgot to mention the mileage difference and reviews on conserve mode eating tires and/or causing issues with the motors being another factor in my mind.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

I think the warranty service availability of parts is a non topic as the QM is a stock Bosch. Motor and assembly.

what is interesting related to warranty is that the QM has more real world reliability as Bosch has been making it for some time so they know the life of the drive units. The DM on the other hand was developed in 2-3 years and is just getting real world usage data. I would be concerned that updates to DM make it in compatible with existing units. You won’t have that issue with the QM.

Sponsored

olsonnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
If you get the QM you get to experience the half shaft noise that all the early adopters have oh so much fun with. Seems to have been fixed for the DM variants.

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
Most of us will tell you to get what we have, and I'm no different :) I got one of the last CY QMs in December. I read so many reviews, and posts here, before concluding that both were great options and I'd be happy with either. The extra $ for the max pack on the DM didn't feel like it was worth it, so by elimination I decided the performance upgrade, warranty, more off-road modes, more tested engine, and hello - the color I wanted - the QM was the right call. Sounds like you're in my situation - you could hold out and wait for a DM but who knows when, or, you can get a QM now that fits your needs. Where do you sign ?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If higher efficiency and longer range with the same size battery pack is important- get the DM.

If you want to race and beat every car in town at traffic lights- get the Quad.

Both have plenty of power for anything you would normally do with a civilian vehicle.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

If higher efficiency and longer range with the same size battery pack is important- get the DM.

If you want to race and beat every car in town at traffic lights- get the Quad.

Both have plenty of power for anything you would normally do with a civilian vehicle.
^This

You can have the QM now but you may be able to snag a DM from the shop as well if you keep checking. They come in bunches. That's how I got mine which had more options than I wanted but I don't regret it. You can get pretty good range in QM in conserve but I like the automatic conserve mode. Hard to say which motor option is better but I think both you need to be in sport mode for full send. They both have some advantages over the other.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I really like Bosch products so I'm partial to the quad.
Sponsored