First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 R1S, Adventure, Large, Quad, Forrest Green, 21s
Occupation
Education Advocate
Hey all, I'm new here - and I mainly joined to seek advice from those people here who seem knowledgeable.

I've locked configuration on an R1S, Performance Dual Motor, Large Battery with 21 inch wheels. That was back in November and there is no estimated delivery.

While exploring the R1 shop (as I do almost daily) I found an R1S, with the same specs, but it was a quad. Cost was essentially $3K more. The price isn't really a deterrent at this point - I mostly want the better vehicle.

I made my decision after watching Sandy Munroe's tear down of the DM variant and Kyle's (out of spec) assessment of the DM vs. Quad.

But I'm starting to have second thoughts. The only way to change things at this point would be to buy from the Shop - which would be nice to get it earlier, but that isn't exactly a deal breaker either.

So - now that the DM have been out for a while, is there anything that people are hearing or know from first had experience that would sway them one way or the other?

Appreciate the thinking!
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am good at seeming knowledgeable without actually being knowledgeable.

I own a QM and have ridden in a DM performance. If I were given a blind quiz I doubt I could tell you which was which as far as speed and handling. There are a couple of very knowledgeable folks here who have driven both or even switched from QM to DM and prefer the DM and they bring up some good points. I still say 99% of people would not be able to tell the difference.

So “better” between those 2 choices is hard to pin down. They are both great. Get what makes you happy IMO.

OP
OP

ixtimes

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Education Advocate
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm trying to gauge the value in waiting for my DM to come available vs getting the QM in the next 1-6 weeks from the shop. I don't think I'll be made either way, but - just hoping someone knows something I don't that will push me over to one side or the other. I'm starting to lean QM - but still not 100%

Thanks for the feedback.

jtrex35

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S Max Dual Performance
Occupation
consultant
I've had both. The Quad is definitely the most capable, has an add'l year of warranty as their made by Bosch vs the in house dual. The DM is definitely the range king and very capable in its own right. I like the engineering behind the DM being oil cooled vs glycol cooled and the quad gets very hot in the summer and especially hot climates. The DM is slightly more quiet than the quad. My counter of the extra warranty is that one reason RIV designed the dual in house was so they could control their own supply chain and become more vertically integrated vs relying on suppliers and outsourced manufacturing so if/when the quad needs a part or repair or replacement even if under warranty, they'll definitively have it but its sourced and could take time. RIV will be putting the enduro motors in everything, reportedly the R2 the amazon delivery vans etc. A bonus for RIV is that the DM is more profitable for the company so there's that as well!

Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Planetary Science
As I understand it, if you care about drive modes and suspension height options, you get more with the quad motor option.

But I'm just reading from the (possibly out-of-date?) website rather than speaking from any experience.

https://rivian.com/support/article/...al-motor-awd-performance-dual-motor-awd-and-q

Drive Modes
Dual-Motor AWD vehicles come with up to five drive modes:

• All-Purpose
  • Snow
  • Tow
  • All-Terrain
  • Soft Sand (when vehicle is equipped with All-Terrain Upgrade)
Performance Dual-Motor AWD vehicles come with five drive modes:

• All-Purpose
  • Snow
  • Tow
  • All-Terrain
  • Sport
  • Soft Sand
Quad-Motor AWD vehicles come with ten drive modes:

• All-Purpose
  • Snow
  • Tow
  • All-Terrain
  • Sport
  • Conserve
  • Rock Crawl
  • Rally
  • Drift
  • Soft Sand

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I'm one of the crazy ones here with 3 Rivians (an R1T and two R1S's - all quads). I was talking to my friend at lunch just a couple days ago and told him, "You don't need a quad." He replied, "I want the 3 second 0 to 60 mph. I'm that guy." I said, "Well, then you need the quad."

If you're that guy, too, and if that's a consideration, than $3000 is well worth it IMO. Me personally, I don't need all the drive modes but I have used Rock Crawl and Soft Sand. I'd be slightly annoyed if I didn't have access to either. I wish I were a good enough driver to be able to take advantage of Rally and Drift modes, but I am not.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
I’m waiting on a Dual with Max because it’s right for my circumstances, particularly a quirky need for range (and, relatedly, because I prefer to stay married).

I am a little sorry to give up the Quad’s torque vectoring which I imagine would feel kind of cool in a few situations. Also, the yellow calipers look sharp. And a Rivian now seems better than a Rivian later.

Oh, and in favor of Dual I’ve read the forum enough to know that R.I.P. would say you are better off with dual if you are driving sideways on ice sometimes. (And, with my driveway, that’ll happen once a year.)

OP
OP

ixtimes

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Education Advocate
I've had both. The Quad is definitely the most capable, has an add'l year of warranty as their made by Bosch vs the in house dual. The DM is definitely the range king and very capable in its own right. I like the engineering behind the DM being oil cooled vs glycol cooled and the quad gets very hot in the summer and especially hot climates. The DM is slightly more quiet than the quad. My counter of the extra warranty is that one reason RIV designed the dual in house was so they could control their own supply chain and become more vertically integrated vs relying on suppliers and outsourced manufacturing so if/when the quad needs a part or repair or replacement even if under warranty, they'll definitively have it but its sourced and could take time. RIV will be putting the enduro motors in everything, reportedly the R2 the amazon delivery vans etc. A bonus for RIV is that the DM is more profitable for the company so there's that as well!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm curious what you mean by the idea that it gets hot in the summer? Do you mean the engines run hot? Have you noticed an impact on performance as a result? Either battery or engine related?

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I'd go with the quad motor if price is not an issue. Having control at all four wheels provides more possibilities via software. You also have the torque vectoring and 835 HP.

If I had to purchase again I would probably choose a PDM due to price. The PDM is only half a second slower 0-60. It does have 25,000 less miles battery and electric drive warranty than quad though.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

QUAD all day long.

Power, resale, capability, warranty and the most important, YELLOW CALIPERS!!

Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual IMG_8201

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
The only thing I'll add to this is that with the QM and large pack you get a significant warranty upgrade vs all other configurations.
Well, 1 more year….so the “significance” is relative…

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Well, 1 more year….so the “significance” is relative…
Do me a favor and run a quote to see how much one year of warranty cost to go from 4 years to 5 years. Plus 25,000 extra miles for your powertrain on year 8. All with $0 deductible and free loaner vehicles.

most extended warranty’s will run you around $1,000 - $1,500 per year and higher mileage buckets cost an extra $2,000. $0 deductible is extra $2,000.

Don’t forget resale. At year 4. No one wants to take a risk on dual motor with no warranty when air suspension goes on the fritz. They’ll pay the small upcharge and get the quad with extra warranty and capability.

the value of the warranty is roughly $3,000 ($0 deductible, 1 extra year bumper to bumper, loaner vehicles and 10,000 miles comprehensive / 25,000 miles powertrain) .

Most extended warranty’s won’t even cover you @ 175,000 miles with $0 deductible.

Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual IMG_8202

Rivian R1T R1S Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual IMG_8203

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

Do me a favor and run a quote to see how much one year of warranty cost to go from 4 years to 5 years. Plus 25,000 extra miles for your powertrain on year 8. All with $0 deductible and free loaner vehicles.

most extended warranty’s will run you around $1,000 - $1,500 per year and higher mileage buckets cost an extra $2,000. $0 deductible is extra $2,000.

Don’t forget resale. At year 4. No one wants to take a risk on dual motor with no warranty when air suspension goes on the fritz. They’ll pay the small upcharge and get the quad with extra warranty and capability.

the value of the warranty is roughly $3,000 ($0 deductible, 1 extra year bumper to bumper, loaner vehicles and 10,000 miles comprehensive / 25,000 miles powertrain) .

Most extended warranty’s won’t even cover you @ 175,000 miles with $0 deductible.

IMG_8202.png

IMG_8203.png
This is my point that no one seems to understand. This is also why we are seeing significantly higher residual values on the QM leases.

the 2 most important thing when buying an EV range and warranty. I’ll take a 5% reduction in range for a 20% increase in warranty. It’s a no brainer.
Sponsored