Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Their call back was not until Saturday while I was unavailable. I called them today and finally convinced them that service was needed. They admitted it could be TCM.

Nearest SC in Bellevue, Wa was 2 months wait but they have me in at Auburn next week.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Appointment was for tomorrow but replacement TCM has not arrived.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Final update:
Vehicle fixed.
Dropped at SC on Thursday 18 April. TCM unit was replaced. Originally told one day, but vehicle would not perform firmware updates. On Friday updates loaded. I could see status of vehicle in app by mid afternoon, but they could not finish by EOD (5pm). Vehicle finally ready on Monday.

I commend the communication from David at the Auburn SC. He comped me tire rotation for delay too. It is a shame that the software issues created a 3 day fix instead of 1.

Loan car was by Zipcar with exclusive use by Rivian SC. I used a Bolt. I liked it. Smooth, quiet and rattle free. Only issue was the driver seat that had uncomfortable lumbar support.

I live in NW Seattle. There is a very high density of R1S here. It’s time for Rivian to open a SC in the highway 99 auto corridor somewhere in N Seattle, Shoreline or Lynnwood (pretty please).

KenMPLS

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
No cell, wifi, hotspot or GPS.

Software reset didn’t work.

Called Rivian and vehicle restart didn’t restart the vehicle. Advised to wait through sleep cycle and try again.

Anyone have similar experience?

IMG_2924.jpeg
This exact same thing just happened to me. I can't restart the vehicle and it won't connect to WIFI or the mobile network. I have an appointment with Rivian service on Wednesday.
How did yours get fixed? Did it start working on it's own or did you need to have a part replaced?

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

This exact same thing just happened to me. I can't restart the vehicle and it won't connect to WIFI or the mobile network. I have an appointment with Rivian service on Wednesday.
How did yours get fixed? Did it start working on it's own or did you need to have a part replaced?
The full history is documented in multiple posts in this thread, but to summarize:

The TCM (Telecommunications Control Module?) needed replacement.

If that has not been diagnosed yet and it becomes the diagnosis then it will not be fixed during your first visit . A new unit needs to be sent from the factory. As the car is drivable you may decide to take your car home until it arrives as it may take over a week. Can roadside assistance make that determination for you so that you don’t waste a trip to SC? They did for me.

They took less than a day to switch the TCM, but firmware and software updates did not complete successfully first time and it was not ready for pick up for 2+ days.

Sponsored

KenMPLS

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Wow! OK. I happened to be driving near the service center anyway, so I stopped. Luckily, there was a tech available and he came out to give it a quick look. He said it was a more serious TCM problem. I didn't know what that meant, but I had them add that info to the ticket. I'm guessing that this will be multiple trips.
Did they happen to say if anything you did might have caused the failure of the TCM? I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. However last night after I had plugged the truck in, an hour or so later, I heard a quiet whirr sound coming from near the front bumper in the center. Not sure it that has anything to do with this problem though.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Wow! OK. I happened to be driving near the service center anyway, so I stopped. Luckily, there was a tech available and he came out to give it a quick look. He said it was a more serious TCM problem. I didn't know what that meant, but I had them add that info to the ticket. I'm guessing that this will be multiple trips.
Did they happen to say if anything you did might have caused the failure of the TCM? I haven't done anything out of the ordinary. However last night after I had plugged the truck in, an hour or so later, I heard a quiet whirr sound coming from near the front bumper in the center. Not sure it that has anything to do with this problem though.
It was covered by warranty.

There a couple of other threads documenting this happening. It is not owner fault.

KenMPLS

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help. This is really the first thing that has come up with my truck in the year that I've owned it. But it's still a bit of a bummer. Still, my buddy bought the Ford Maverick at about the same time, and he says he's lost count of the number of recalls that he's received for it.

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yup. Got mine replaced last week here at Brooklyn.

Service techs confirmed that it (TCM module going bad) happened at the same time the push was done to the vehicle for the OTA 11.02 update. Perhaps just a coincidence, but that was what was told to me.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Yup. Got mine replaced last week here at Brooklyn.

Service techs confirmed that it (TCM module going bad) happened at the same time the push was done to the vehicle for the OTA 11.02 update. Perhaps just a coincidence, but that was what was told to me.
Mine started losing cell connection shortly after software update too. At first it was intermittent and then totally dead.

I hope they have found a better supplier for this unit or fixed the quality problem.

Sponsored

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Mine started losing cell connection shortly after software update too. At first it was intermittent and then totally dead.

I hope they have found a better supplier for this unit or fixed the quality problem.
Interesting.

Mine never got the actual update just saw "Unknown version" and lost GPS/telematics, etc.

Hopefully it was a one off...

KenMPLS

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Update: the service center disconnected the 12 volt battery and discharged the system. Then restarted and it all worked. They said that there were no messages of failure in the log. So it seems mine was just a blip of some sort.

OP
OP
Cascadian

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Update: the service center disconnected the 12 volt battery and discharged the system. Then restarted and it all worked. They said that there were no messages of failure in the log. So it seems mine was just a blip of some sort.
I have seen that solution in another thread.

I suggested that to Roadside Assistance ( it can be done by mobile service) but they booked me in at SC and ordered a new TCM in advance . I hope they are not doing unnecessary and expensive work but I have a new unit now.
Sponsored