Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1
Occupation
Outside sales
Clubs

Started the purchase process for the Cybertruck (Founders Edition Cyberbeast) and my better half requested we dont get a Tesla. So I need to cancel my order and give Tesla free $1K since production deposit is non-refundable. Oh well, live and learn. If there was a way for me to transfer this order to any of you that wanted it and you know how, hit me up.
Ironically there was a Cybertruck at the Laguna Beach Rivianā€¦. Guy was in his jacket and everything. Pulled me aside after he heard me tell the Rivian Rep i just canceled itā€¦.. They are out doing reconnaissance no doubt.

I love my Model 3 - and was updating to the cyber truck. I love everything about the Cyber truckā€¦ accept the truck itself. Good godā€¦ Iā€™m all for innovation, but that is the ugliest hunk of metal Iā€™ve ever seenā€¦.. šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

There is a no flip clause. I think it is $50K if I sell it before 1 year mark. CT has its charm in its own way but with R1S, R1T and a gas car in garage, in hindsight I probably shouldn't have ordered one. Like I said, live and learn.
Honestly, after you said that, I really donā€™t understand how the CT would have made any sense for you. Is this three cars for two people you already have or three cars for three or more people?

Itā€™s justā€¦ if itā€™s three for two and you wanted to add a fourth for two but all of your vehicles are fundamentally in the same mid-premium tier price segment, you already have two electrics, one being truck, I can only assume you wanted it as a fun or collector vehicle. Put together as a collection of cars, I donā€™t see the value in this combination of four vehicles. It would make much more sense to sell two of them and take that money to be put into a much higher class luxury vehicle, collectors or sportā€¦ at least thatā€™s what I would doā€¦ an R1T and Cybertruck make almost one higher trim 911, or Taycan Turbo if it has to be electric, and several other interesting niche vehicles. Why own a bunch of average vehicles (comparatively) if you could own one outstanding vehicle?

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
I was excited for CT but am even more excited that Iā€™m satisfied with my R1T and love it enough that I wonā€™t be going after the CT (I do have a day one 11/2019 reservation). At some point I may end up comparing an R2S to the Model Y (previous MYP owner) when I no longer want/need a truck bedā€¦but the R1ā€™s are better than the CT ended upā€¦.

OP
OP

joekriv

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, fast little car from a british car maker
Honestly, after you said that, I really donā€™t understand how the CT would have made any sense for you. Is this three cars for two people you already have or three cars for three or more people?

Itā€™s justā€¦ if itā€™s three for two and you wanted to add a fourth for two but all of your vehicles are fundamentally in the same mid-premium tier price segment, you already have two electrics, one being truck, I can only assume you wanted it as a fun or collector vehicle. Put together as a collection of cars, I donā€™t see the value in this combination of four vehicles. It would make much more sense to sell two of them and take that money to be put into a much higher class luxury vehicle, collectors or sportā€¦ at least thatā€™s what I would doā€¦ an R1T and Cybertruck make almost one higher trim 911, or Taycan Turbo if it has to be electric, and several other interesting niche vehicles. Why own a bunch of average vehicles (comparatively) if you could own one outstanding vehicle?
Not sure what ā€œoutstandingā€ vehicle means. I buy cars/trucks that make me happy. I figured CT would be just be something a bit different than the Rivians. As for Porsches I think they are great cars but prefer the McLā€™s I had in the past. Edit: not trying to be confrontational, just noting different strokes for different folks.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have no interest in paying 100k for a "Founder's Edition"
The "we could probably bilk our first customers for even more" edition

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
If you do decide to cancel I would at least try to see if Tesla will give you your 1K production deposit back.

Just because they say its non-refundable doesn't mean it is.

The other possible "get out of jail" card is to simply refuse to sign the agreement that states you can't sell the vehicle within 1 year.

The last possible "get out of jail" card is delivery. Knowing Tesla like I do means there is likely going to be some defects where you can simply refuse delivery, and get your money back. They can't force you to set and wait for another build.

You also might consider having your significant other try to get the refund. After all she did somehow convince you not to buy it. :)

I don't care how much money someone has, but 1K burned is 1K burned.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Just because they say its non-refundable doesn't mean it is.
Wait. Are we still talking about Tesla? Yah, that money is gone. Took a cab, a train, a plane and a boat. Sail away. Sail away. šŸŽ¶

Sponsored

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, Tesla is known not to back down on any refund of any kind. I had free supercharging that said it expires 2/20. So on the last day, 2/20, I supercharged it, and then got a bill. They told me it ended at 2/20 at 12:00AM, not end of day. I told them, it never said that anywhere so I should get that charge for free - we're talking $15. But they would not budge. So yeah, I don't think they'll give back $1k.

I got the invite to order my Cybertruck but not interested in paying $27k more for the AWD (The model that qualifies for the $7500 rebate - and then the added $20k foundation series etching? lol - yes I know it's more things included but it's quite silly to me). So I haven't placed my order.

At least I got $1k off our Model 3 we purchased last month. With the inventory discount, $1k cybertruck discount, and the $7500 tax credit, we got the RWD model for $26.5k. Can't beat that.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Not sure what ā€œoutstandingā€ vehicle means. I buy cars/trucks that make me happy. I figured CT would be just be something a bit different than the Rivians. As for Porsches I think they are great cars but prefer the McLā€™s I had in the past. Edit: not trying to be confrontational, just noting different strokes for different folks.
For sure. Gotta buy what makes you happy. I didnā€™t take your response as confrontational. Itā€™s a comparison of ā€œbuying philosophiesā€. I personally would rather have one true sports/niche/collector vehicle over two ā€œgeneralā€ vehicles. My reasoning is I feel like the driving experiences & utilities wouldnā€™t be different enough for me to warrant owning more of something I already have. However, I do see many garages full of the latter so itā€™s a common thing. Again, this is strictly in the case of where there is no real need for more cars. Of course folks have lots of cars if they have lots of family members that need one.

Bottom line is: No cyber truck for you, and given most other viewpoints stated here, that is a very good thing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

joekriv

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, fast little car from a british car maker
For sure. Gotta buy what makes you happy. I didnā€™t take your response as confrontational. Itā€™s a comparison of ā€œbuying philosophiesā€. I personally would rather have one true sports/niche/collector vehicle over two ā€œgeneralā€ vehicles. My reasoning is I feel like the driving experiences & utilities wouldnā€™t be different enough for me to warrant owning more of something I already have. However, I do see many garages full of the latter so itā€™s a common thing. Again, this is strictly in the case of where there is no real need for more cars. Of course folks have lots of cars if they have lots of family members that need one.

Bottom line is: No cyber truck for you, and given most other viewpoints stated here, that is a very good thing.
Well said! Question: With your handle what is your preferred track toy of choice? Favorite track so far? Bit of a hobbyist myself there so always curious.

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Well said! Question: With your handle what is your preferred track toy of choice? Favorite track so far? Bit of a hobbyist myself there so always curious.
Ha! You probably have more experience than me. I started getting into it during the pandemic, living in the Chicago area and making as much use as possible of the open track days at Autobahn Country Club. I simply slapped some Michelin cup tires on my M4 Comp and started with instructed/guided rounds. Next, I bought an old 996 911 to try that out.

Since Iā€™m now in NY, I havenā€™t done it in a while but maybe next summer I can get back into it. However, expecting to be a first time dad soon, so maybe thatā€™s not the best of hobbys with a new born. So then the R1T and camping trips will be better :)

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
Get the CT .. you may lose your Significant other .. but you will gain an entire cult of people that will love you for you! (as long as you don't even remotely hint that there is even a minor annoyance with anything about the cybertruck or Elon, in which case you will become the most hated person in the world).
Sponsored