Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Good survey. I flagged "disamenity" on a surprisingly large number of these.

Unpopular opinion: I would ditch adjustable suspension in a hot minute. My current truck doesn't have it, my previous trucks didn't have it, none of my cars going back 40+ years had it. Am not opposed to progress, but when all I want is a basic EV work truck, it's an unnecessary and over-complicated expense.

I would also ditch Limestone paint color. It's just another boring shade of gray. 🤣

---------------------

One thing I would pay significantly more for is a short(er) cab, long bed option. Guess I'll keep holding my breath for anyone to produce one of those.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Delete:
Camp Speaker
Camp Speaker
Camp Speaker
Did I mention Camp Speaker?
Pano Glass Roof

Add:
Drawer in place of camp speaker
Carnivore Leather option
12 volt 30 amp battery connection for user installed devices

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Good survey. I flagged "disamenity" on a surprisingly large number of these.

Unpopular opinion: I would ditch adjustable suspension in a hot minute. My current truck doesn't have it, my previous trucks didn't have it, none of my cars going back 40+ years had it. Am not opposed to progress, but when all I want is a basic EV work truck, it's an unnecessary and over-complicated expense.

I would also ditch Limestone paint color. It's just another boring shade of gray. 🤣

---------------------

One thing I would pay significantly more for is a short(er) cab, long bed option. Guess I'll keep holding my breath for anyone to produce one of those.
I'm constantly surprised when people have this much against the Rivian yet they still have one ordered. Sounds like something like the Canoo would be more what features you want but they still have a lot of complexity in their current design. A lot of which I'd expect to not make it to production.

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I'm constantly surprised when people have this much against the Rivian yet they still have one ordered. Sounds like something like the Canoo would be more what features you want but they still have a lot of complexity in their current design. A lot of which I'd expect to not make it to production.
I don't see this as being against Rivian. I had more the opposite in mind. I very much want Rivian to thrive and be able to add more models so people can choose the best match for them. I'm sure they're doing this type of analysis internally and more rigorously. Maybe they could save $100/vehicle by cutting the camp speaker and flashlight and no-one would really care... or maybe they are halo features that drive sales.

Rivian is clearly the best option for my needs today but not every feature is for me... and that's ok. I'm certainly the odd one out as my ideal vehicle would be something like an electric minivan (sliding doors are the best) with 8 inches of ground clearance (like a cross between a Sienna and an Outback) and a hitch receiver with 600+ lb. tongue weight. Maybe Canoo will come close but not quite right.

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Camp Speaker is useless for a few reasons. I don't even keep in the truck anymore. Need to figure out what to do with the space.

-The docking and charging is unreliable
-The bluetooth is spotty and has had handshake issues
-$100 Anker speaker works better so don't need it on $80k-$100k truck

Also not sure why they don't either improve on the wireless charging or eliminate. It's a waste of money in current form as it does nothing.

Also agree with those mentioning the pano roof. Might be cool'ish for rear passengers but can barely tell it's there as the driver. I'm sure it brightens the cabin. But it also is poorly insulated so heat and cold transfer as well as wind noise. If it was an option, I would have not selected.

1) Eliminate the camp speaker, wireless charging (or vastly improve) - make the Pano an option.
2) Give us a proper inverter. Not the weak one we got now that can't even surge past 1500w.

Sponsored

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It's funny to answer the wireless charging pad question. It's an extremely important feature and I will be paying extra for it, because the stock one apparently doesn't work and I'll need to replace the OEM version with a working one.

May wait a few months for even more refined designs to come out.

Has Rivian even addressed the charging pad issues publicly?
It sucks it doesn't work but a perfect fix is about $120. AdventureMat I think is most polished looking solution. Add in two genuine apple magsafe chargers.

https://adventurehightech.com/products/adventuremat

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Sounds like something like the Canoo would be more what features you want but they still have a lot of complexity in their current design. A lot of which I'd expect to not make it to production.
I have a reservation for a Canoo pickup. And am a Canoo stockholder. Same with Tesla (Cybertruck), Chevy (Silverado EV), and Ford (F-150 Lightning). The Canoo does have some interesting features. Here's to hoping they don't go bankrupt before entering production, LOL. 🤷

Last edited:
OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camp Speaker is useless for a few reasons. I don't even keep in the truck anymore. Need to figure out what to do with the space.

-The docking and charging is unreliable
-The bluetooth is spotty and has had handshake issues
-$100 Anker speaker works better so don't need it on $80k-$100k truck

Also not sure why they don't either improve on the wireless charging or eliminate. It's a waste of money in current form as it does nothing.

Also agree with those mentioning the pano roof. Might be cool'ish for rear passengers but can barely tell it's there as the driver. I'm sure it brightens the cabin. But it also is poorly insulated so heat and cold transfer as well as wind noise. If it was an option, I would have not selected.

1) Eliminate the camp speaker, wireless charging (or vastly improve) - make the Pano an option.
2) Give us a proper inverter. Not the weak one we got now that can't even surge past 1500w.
Speaker dock is almost the right size for a box of tissues.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
use a cheaper wiper fluid

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Maybe I missed it but what about the motorized HVAC vent positioning? When I can reach out and move something with my hand 10x quicker than I can do it through a menu... and save complexity... I like it.

Everything else on the "list" I want, except I'd trade a cubby for the camp speaker.
Sponsored