John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

Hey All!

Super excited for this one. Rivian gave me a sneak peek at the newest software update (OTA 2023.38.0) and the linked vid is the result. I wanted to do a general overview of what was in it. Hoping to get some towing tests on later.

The gist of it is that it's an excellent update (I can't confirm or deny the existence of Halloween mode). It's focused mainly on the drive modes. Well, it's almost entirely about the drive modes (only minor changes outside of that). The new drive modes are split into two groups: On-road and Off-road with the various modes in logical places. Towing is no longer a mode in itself, it's a tab for all modes (except Rally and Drift modes). I also learned that drive some drive modes don't exist in the dual-motor variants of the Rivians.

I do have a couple of things I would like to see in the next software updates (see end of vid) but mostly this is a good addition. Lots of new data surfaced to the driver including pitch, roll, temperatures, and access to the over-the-bed cam (HALELUJIAH!).

Anyway, check it out and please leave comments on the vid!

Hope this is helpful to you all.

Pasted image 20231016174846.png
Pasted image 20231016174819.png

Pasted image 20231016181845.png

with towing tab opened:
Pasted image 20231016182133.png
I received the update earlier today and just got around to checking it out. Clearly a winner! Drive modes, gauge view and access to the bed camera is very welcomed!
Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

A new drive mode interface, so intuitive that you had to stick a bunch of arrows on the screen to explain what all the icons mean?

As opposed to previously where each mode was labeled with text that says what the mode is?

And the buttons are a lot smaller and harder to hit?

And instead of just selecting a ride height you have to keep pressing up and down arrows till it gets to where you want?

Designers are their own worst enemy man.

The data screens look absolutely awesome, though.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I do wish Rivian offered a forced download option. I’m not patient enough as it is.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
A new drive mode interface, so intuitive that you had to stick a bunch of arrows on the screen to explain what all the icons mean?

As opposed to previously where each mode was labeled with text that says what the mode is?

And instead of just selecting a ride height you have to keep pressing up and down arrows till it gets to where you want?

It’s intuitive. You don’t have to follow the prompts.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Anyone with an R1S get it yet, or just Ts so far?
My R1S prompted me a couple of hours ago but just started the install 30 minutes ago.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S OTA Update 2023.38.0 - Early Look! Drive Mode & Towing Experience Changes 1697514529764

From the blog post, what is the plug icon for? I suppose I could just be patient and wait for my update to apply, but I didn't even see it in Rivian Dad's video.

Also, @Pixelshot your daughter's method getting out of the R1S was funny lol.

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
Anyone with an R1S get it yet, or just Ts so far?
downloaded this evening already. I'll see it when i get in tomorrow morning. Will probably give myself 5 minutes to look at it

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

Hey All!

Super excited for this one. Rivian gave me a sneak peek at the newest software update (OTA 2023.38.0) and the linked vid is the result. I wanted to do a general overview of what was in it. Hoping to get some towing tests on later.

The gist of it is that it's an excellent update (I can't confirm or deny the existence of Halloween mode). It's focused mainly on the drive modes. Well, it's almost entirely about the drive modes (only minor changes outside of that). The new drive modes are split into two groups: On-road and Off-road with the various modes in logical places. Towing is no longer a mode in itself, it's a tab for all modes (except Rally and Drift modes). I also learned that drive some drive modes don't exist in the dual-motor variants of the Rivians.

I do have a couple of things I would like to see in the next software updates (see end of vid) but mostly this is a good addition. Lots of new data surfaced to the driver including pitch, roll, temperatures, and access to the over-the-bed cam (HALELUJIAH!).

with towing tab opened:
Yep, got it earlier today! 🥰

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
Are drive modes associated with different drivers' profiles (i.e., does it change all the settings to each driver's preferences)?

Sponsored

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T

Those program managers/designers need to justify their jobs and take valuable resources away from the important things. Let's have Amazon music atleast..

PBRAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali, Range Rover

I haven't downloaded it yet but that's the first thing I thought. The old interface seems easier to switch between drive modes and more intuitive. Once the newness wears off, can someone confirm the drive mode interface makes more sense now? Thinking about skipping this update.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Hey All!

with towing tab opened:
Where do we find Halloween Mode???

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I haven't downloaded it yet but that's the first thing I thought. The old interface seems easier to switch between drive modes and more intuitive. Once the newness wears off, can someone confirm the drive mode interface makes more sense now? Thinking about skipping this update.
Skipping will not help as it will be that way moving forward.

It actually is a decent change, very intuitive and puts it on the left side of the screen so easier than reaching over to the right side.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
1697514529764.png

From the blog post, what is the plug icon for? I suppose I could just be patient and wait for my update to apply, but I didn't even see it in Rivian Dad's video.

Also, @Pixelshot your daughter's method getting out of the R1S was funny lol.
It's the 120v outlets.
Sponsored