Sponsored

Overcharging a Standard+ Battery

R1Hokie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
Running into an interesting situation with my R1S Dual Performance Standard+

When I charge to 100%, it seems to go beyond 100%.

For example, running around to the US Open from Raleigh yesterday and ran the battery down to around 30%. Plugged it in last evening and just left it overnight. Would have hit 100% around 1 or 2am.

This morning, driving the kids to school, it took ~15 miles of driving for the first mile to tick off my available range. (277 to 276). Everything after that ticked off like normal and as expected.

This has happened a few times and notably different ranges of additional "mileage" available depending on how long it stayed plugged in past hitting 100%

Thoughts? And for reference, I'm coming from a large pack quad motor and never had this happen with that one.
Sponsored

A A Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Solution Consultant
Clubs

I have a R1T Performance Dual Standard + and this happens everytime I charge up to 100%. It tops out at 100% and 277 miles (I have 20" AT's) and it usually takes about 10-15 miles of driving before the numbers begin to drop, either % left or miles to go. I thought it was common for all EV's similar to how when I used to top off my ICE and the est range would not move much until I had driven at least 15-20 miles.

Stan Evans

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Yukon
Occupation
Commercial Integration Director
I have Dual Standard+. It was delivered three weeks ago. We are going on a road trip in a couple of weeks. I’ll charge the R1S to 100% (1st time) and see if we get similar results.
Could this be related to the Standard+ battery pack being a SW locked Large/Max battery pack? I reached out to my guide a couple of weeks ago to get a definitive answer on what I had read on this forum. She came back with a non-answer…
I’ll update this asap (after late June road trip).

NitroNick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Crosstrek
Occupation
EE
Same thing with mine.

CANCERDOC

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S PDM
Occupation
Healthcare
If this means the S+ owners are getting a little more of that locked region on their packs, this is a good thing!

Sponsored

jambaman84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I have a dual motor, standard+ pack. I also noticed this when I charged it to 100% for the first time. I legit thought the range was broken because it wasn't changing, even though I was driving for quite some time.
From everyone on the forums, they all say standard+ is a software locked large or max pack. Rivian will not confirm this, so I don't know what to believe.

First Name
MICHAEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Bolt, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Government Sales
I am pretty sure we have software locked large packs... I remember reading somewhere that the difference between large and max was battery chemistry.

I have a standard plus as well.

My regular practice when charging it at home is go to 95%, which gets me 300 miles on the guess-o-meter. There is little to no point of stopping at 80% at home since even 100% of S+ is really closer to 85ish% of the large pack.

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
My quad motor large pack has odd range displays too. It tops at 97% at 320 miles. Charging to 100% adds no miles despite adding over 5.5 kWh. Driving from 100-97% does not use any miles either.

Rivian R1T R1S Overcharging a Standard+ Battery IMG_9573

Rivian R1T R1S Overcharging a Standard+ Battery IMG_9576

Southern R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (LE/GW/OC/20"AT), Lexus GX 460 Luxury
Occupation
Builder
If this means the S+ owners are getting a little more of that locked region on their packs, this is a good thing!
I don't think this is limited to Standard+ -- I have the same experience with my Quad/Large every time I charge to 100% as well.

I always assumed there was a software coded cap on the max mileage to display, so when you're above that it just shows that max mileage cap until you get below it (and then starts to adjust down normally).
Sponsored