Sponsored

Paint defects on brand-new silver R1S

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
I took delivery of my R1S yesterday (5/16), and today I noticed some weird spots in the paint while the car was sitting in full sun.
The spots are 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Can anybody identify what those spots are and whether they can be fixed easily?
The car also has a few panel gap issues (charging port, trunk) but nothing major.

I'm wondering if something happened to the car because the timeline is a bit suspicious to me. I lost R1S Shop access on 3/13 but didn't receive a VIN (65xx) until 4/13. That VIN tells me the car was indeed built in mid-March, and yet it wasn't assigned to me until a month later. Could it be that the car was rejected by someone else? Or that it was repaired or repainted for some reason? I have no idea.

Any advice is appreciated.

Rivian R1T R1S Paint defects on brand-new silver R1S RivianR1S-1

Rivian R1T R1S Paint defects on brand-new silver R1S RivianR1S-2

Rivian R1T R1S Paint defects on brand-new silver R1S RivianR1S-3

Rivian R1T R1S Paint defects on brand-new silver R1S RivianR1S-4

Rivian R1T R1S Paint defects on brand-new silver R1S RivianR1S-5
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If those spots are not weird shadows they are concentrated metal flake and that cannot be fixed without a sand and repainting the whole panel. The gaps can be made better.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Unfortunately those look like only solution will be repaint and that silver is going to be tough to match.

I would return it.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately those look like only solution will be repaint and that silver is going to be tough to match.

I would return it.
Yeah, it looks like someone already tried (to repaint it). Return.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It is really dissapointing they are still putting out this type of quality, or lack thereof..
And it's not like painting a vehicle is a novel thing to EV's.

OP
OP
Laurent

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Thanks for your help everyone. I will request a return.

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
That really sucks. What a shame

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I took delivery of my R1S yesterday (5/16), and today I noticed some weird spots in the paint while the car was sitting in full sun.
The spots are 5 to 6 inches in diameter. Can anybody identify what those spots are and whether they can be fixed easily?
The car also has a few panel gap issues (charging port, trunk) but nothing major.

I'm wondering if something happened to the car because the timeline is a bit suspicious to me. I lost R1S Shop access on 3/13 but didn't receive a VIN (65xx) until 4/13. That VIN tells me the car was indeed built in mid-March, and yet it wasn't assigned to me until a month later. Could it be that the car was rejected by someone else? Or that it was repaired or repainted for some reason? I have no idea.

Any advice is appreciated.

RivianR1S-1.jpg

RivianR1S-2.jpg

RivianR1S-3.jpg

RivianR1S-4.jpg

RivianR1S-5.jpg
I see you've been waiting a really long time to take delivery.. I'm sorry this is what you ended up receiving. If you are leaning towards keeping it and having Rivian fix the issues, just know it might take as long as returning and getting another one (depending on how busy your service center is) + the issues with color match as others have noted.

Sponsored

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
Is this a launch edition? I'm waiting for an adventure R1S to be delivered and the vin is 54xx. Wondering the same thing about rejection.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

I had a handful of pair nibs on mine but only on 2 panels. Only panel alignment issue was the black plastic rear bumper

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

And it's not like painting a vehicle is a novel thing to EV's.
True but it is unfortunate that two years into production Rivian having painting issues. It had gone quiet on the paint issue front since the tiger striping of early last year. Very disappointing to see several issues pop up.
This should have been caught at either the factory or the SC and no one can really defend Rivian in this situation for missing it.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
True but it is unfortunate that two years into production Rivian having painting issues. It had gone quiet on the paint issue front since the tiger striping of early last year. Very disappointing to see several issues pop up.
This should have been caught at either the factory or the SC and no one can really defend Rivian in this situation for missing it.
I completely agree. The production is limited by silicone chips for the motors it sounds like. So that means they should have plenty of opportunity to properly inspect vehicles and downright perfect them, before they leave the plant.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If you see this metallic flake collecting in splotches then it is mostly likely everywhere. Check your hood in direct sunlight for striping too.
Sponsored