Sponsored

Passenger Airbag is Off Message

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

I am getting the message at the lower right corner that passenger airbag is off - it comes on and then goes, keeps doing this. This happened when I was driving with my son who is around 100lb. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
That is the system working as designed. And as required by safety regulations.

The front airbag can do more harm than good when children are involved so the Occupancy Classification System (ocs) disables the airbag if it thinks a child is in the front seat to protect the child from the airbag.

The weight cut off is usually around 100lb. So with your child right at the cutoff, it's not surprising that it turns on and off as he shifts his weight around.

Although your child may disagree about their status as a child, they should probably stay in the second row until they are a bit older. The second row is a safer place for children.

NoCoRH83

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T owner
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I've had this issue with my wife (115 lbs) riding in the passenger seat. The Rivian tech said the occupant sensors are set at a higher threshold than other manufacturers (typically in the 70-80 lb range). He said the engineering team is aware of complaints but he wasn't aware of a firm plan to make a change.

OP
OP

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

Thanks for the feedback. I tried having my wife sit in the passenger seat to confirm this theory and it does look like the weight was the problem. However, if my wife slouches in the seat - leaning back to the seat and sitting almost around the the second 1/4th (from backrest) - the passenger airbag switches off. Seems like the sensor is all the way at the back. Will do some more investigation in the next few days.

GANTZ

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, Tesla, Lexus
Occupation
Yes
I am getting the message at the lower right corner that passenger airbag is off - it comes on and then goes, keeps doing this. This happened when I was driving with my son who is around 100lb. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
I notice this today riding with my son 125lbs. We kept adjusting the seat and it would go off when it was all the way down. Eventually we found the sweet spot but it will change once my wife rides in the truck.

Sponsored

JMazz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Banking
Yes, I have the same issue no matter the weight of the person sitting in the passenger seat.. Mobile unit going to come to the house to address this safety concern.

Last edited:

Apatel323

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Any updates on how this was resolved? My Rivian is in the shop for the same reason. It seems like if the passenger is slouching, the airbag turns off.

If the passenger belted themselves and the vehicle recognized a person of adequate weight is in the vehicle, the vehicle shouldn’t turn off the airbags while driving for the passenger’s safety. The passenger never unbelted to leave the vehicle.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Any updates on how this was resolved? My Rivian is in the shop for the same reason. It seems like if the passenger is slouching, the airbag turns off.

If the passenger belted themselves and the vehicle recognized a person of adequate weight is in the vehicle, the vehicle shouldn’t turn off the airbags while driving for the passenger’s safety. The passenger never unbelted to leave the vehicle.
Safe airbag deployment is highly dependent on passenger position. A safe deployment for an upright passenger may kill a passenger that is leaning forward, for example.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Mine does this too. If it turns off, if she unbuckles and rebuckles it seems to fix. Haven’t tested enough to know if this will always reset it or just sometimes

MackLoDon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
HR Executive
Same experience here. Wife of 115 lbs. has to wiggle around in the seat to get the airbag to recognize a passenger. Annoying from a safety and climate control standpoint. Guess I'll put a 30 lb. weighted vest on the seat as a cushion? Ridiculous.
Sponsored