Sponsored

Phone as key issues

natemj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
When I picked up my new R1T last week the delivery person was unable to set up PAAK with my iPhone 12 Max. Oddly, he also couldn't get it to confirm the fob as a key—even though each button on the fob does seem to work. A technician at the service center also tried unsuccessfully (we spent at least 30 mins reseting the vehicle software, signing out of the app, deleting and reinstalling the app, deleting all Bluetooth connected devices, setting correct Rivian permissions) and they advised me to submit a ticket and drive home. I subsequently spent an hour on the phone with a service rep going through all the same steps as had been tried before, but it always reports "unable to pair". I now have an appointment at the service center, but I am not confident that this will be resolved and it's a 2+ hour drive each way.

For the record my phone pairs immediately for use via the vehicle's audio, accessing my phone contacts, etc. The camp speaker pairs with the phone, and the vehicle connects to the home WiFi. Disconnecting all of that pairing does not resolve the PAAK problem.

This seems so similar to previous users in this and other threads, except for the failed fob pairing. Any thoughts? Advice?

I really love driving this truck, but it would be nice to be able to use the phone to control the vehicle remotely, and to add my wife's phone as a key.
@Charged - following your post, sounds like we are in a similar position, please let me know if you get it resolved and I will do the same.
Sponsored

porkbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pivot Switchblade, Nukeproof Scout
Hi @porkbelly - curious if you were ever able to get this resolved, and if so what fixed it. I have been through all other solutions mentioned (i.e. delete, sign out, restart, - tried on multiple devices and nothing). Thanks in advance.
Yeah, it was taken care of after the service visit. "Something on the backend" was adjusted and it magically paired. Not that it matters, locking and unlocking this vehicle is absolutely the worst experience of any vehicle I've ever had. Inconsistent is an understatement. I can click the fob either locking or unlocking 30 times and it won't do shit. Then magically, the 31st time it does. Proximity lock/unlock with the phone is bullshit, same "will it or won't it?" with the fob. What's worse is that if I'm in a store/restaurant within "range" - whatever that is - it will sometimes unlock while out of sight.

I don't get it, this problem has been solved with any other manufacturer.

Charged

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Rivian R1T
Clubs

@natemj - Sorry for the delayed feedback to this thread. Ultimately my resolution was the same as porkbelly's: I spent some time trying to get the problem fixed remotely before agreeing to bring my RT in for service. The SC was able to solve the problem fairly quickly in coordination with the software team at the mothership (I believe they adjusted some cloud data while simultaneously resetting the truck software).

Since that SC fix, my experience with PAAK has been flawless. I have been leaving it on auto-lock/unlock, but with the option to exclude that feature when the truck is at home.

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
Since that SC fix, my experience with PAAK has been flawless. I have been leaving it on auto-lock/unlock, but with the option to exclude that feature when the truck is at home.

You can disable auto-lock/unlock when the truck's at home?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Charged

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Or look in the owner's manual for "Proximity Locking Away From Home".

From the center display, choose Settings > Access > Proximity Locking and then choose "Away From Home". Note that you then have to remember to manually lock/unlock while at home, and you do have to enter your home address in the Nav app.

natemj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
@natemj - Sorry for the delayed feedback to this thread. Ultimately my resolution was the same as porkbelly's: I spent some time trying to get the problem fixed remotely before agreeing to bring my RT in for service. The SC was able to solve the problem fairly quickly in coordination with the software team at the mothership (I believe they adjusted some cloud data while simultaneously resetting the truck software).

Same here - was fixed at the SC and working ever since (mostly flawlessly ;).

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
You can disable auto-lock/unlock when the truck's at home?
Yes its an option in the truck, see this screen:

Rivian R1T R1S Phone as key issues IMG_1074.JPG

Havent decided if I like it yet as both the Rivian and the Tesla keep waking up when I walk into the garage. And the Rivian is very chirpy. The Tesla is at least quiet about it.

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
Yes its an option in the truck, see this screen:

IMG_1074.JPG

Havent decided if I like it yet as both the Rivian and the Tesla keep waking up when I walk into the garage. And the Rivian is very chirpy. The Tesla is at least quiet about it.
Ah right, thanks. I was more interested in disabling home proximity locking only for my phone. I often walk near my truck, phone in pocket, and get annoyed by my truck "waking up" every time. Don't mind always keeping it for the fob. I'm probably just being an unreasonable end-user here, though. 🙃

Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Ah right, thanks. I was more interested in disabling home proximity locking only for my phone. I often walk near my truck, phone in pocket, and get annoyed by my truck "waking up" every time. Don't mind always keeping it for the fob. I'm probably just being an unreasonable end-user here, though. 🙃
Yes, that's a feature i'd like too. The truck will mostly be me wife's to use so I dont need it waking up for me all the time. I guess I could disconnect the phone and use a card or the fob but that's less fun. Perhaps Rivian will give us the option in the future.

the_akrish

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Clinical Educator/US Army
I am having the same problem, I tried signing out of the app, deleting the app, unpairing the audio, literally everything. I am the second owner of my R1T. I can't figure out a way to delete the phone key(it just says set up and has my phones name)

GSGun

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad, 2019 Prius Prime PHEV
R1S delivered and have the same issue. Tried 2 different phones with multiple resets and deleting. Service ticket placed, so hopefully will get some resolution

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Glad this thread got bumped. After being forced by Rivian/Android to replace my perfectly functioning Galaxy Note 8 that never had an issue with PAAK and worked flawlessly with the wireless charger and prematurely sending it to a growing ewaste pile, my brand new Pixel 7A refuses to cooperate as a PAAK. I went through several uninstall/reinstalls of the app and rebooting the infotainment in the truck with it failing to re-pair multiple times. It would show as paired in the app and the truck screen, but wouldn't let me put the truck into drive saying I needed to present a key. It finally randomly worked. I think I might have cycled the bluetooth off and back on in the phone that time, but that could have been a coincidence. A couple days later, same thing. Truck won't unlock when approaching. I always carry the FOB and the wallet card anyway, but this is annoying.

And the Pixel slides all over the charging pad. Part of that is no cover on it yet, but it is just a little smaller than the Galaxy Note was and not quite as consistent to just set it down and connect as fast.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
My phone(iphone 14) stopped working as a key yesterday...I can do everything through the app, but when I get into the vehicle it tells me to present a key now... First issue Ive had since delivery. Any thoughts?
Sponsored