Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Has anybody had the new power tonneau for a while and have any data on how robust it is?
Sponsored

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
Has anybody had the new power tonneau for a while and have any data on how robust it is?
Had truck since May 2022. The original powered tonneau always worked flawless for me, and I used it quite frequently in those almost 2 yrs. Had the truck at the SC for something recently not related, and while it was there they replaced the tonneau with the updated version. New one runs slightly quieter and smoother but only had it a week so no long term notes on reliability to report.

sherwinmdev

First Name
sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 MYP, 2023 MXP, 2023 R1T DMP
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

sooooo... is it worth the $3K? i'm thinking of leasing and I think it's $40/month difference. does it improve efficiency? nice to keep things safe in the bed but i'll usually have electric bikes there so i don't think i can close it anyway.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

sooooo... is it worth the $3K? i'm thinking of leasing and I think it's $40/month difference. does it improve efficiency? nice to keep things safe in the bed but i'll usually have electric bikes there so i don't think i can close it anyway.
If you're not frequently using it, and won't be using it when you have bikes/equipment/loads in there, just get a manual tonneau (and I'd suggest aftermarket: Interrobang or similar). Much less up front cost, seemingly more durable than Rivian's Manual (and more economical than the powered tonneau), and will do the same job. Stow it in the Gear Tunnel when you need to pull it off.

FWIW: I did not see any appreciable differences in range between having an open bed and having my tonneau installed. The nicest part of it is: 1-cargo security and 2- keeping all kinds of leaves, dirt and debris out of the truckbed.

Just my .02

I think the only reason to get the Powered Tonneau is
1- You're frequently cycling between the needs for having a closed bed and open bed
2- You really like pushing buttons and watching things move
3- You have really deep pockets and dig it
4- You think this will improve the resale value of your R1T (this seems probable, but is the return an extra $3k+? I don't think that's the case)
5- You really don't have the space in your gear tunnel and/or don't have the agility and faculties to move around a manual tonneau.

That said, if the price point isn't a hard barrier to admission, I'll highly consider retrofitting the Powered Tonneau. My original configuration had one. Then I got pushed to a manual, then I settled for a store version of my truck with 0 tonneau (hoping to add the manual back later), so I've 'compromised' twice :D That said, I remove and replace the tonneau about 3% as often as I'd originally assumed I might be. And typically, I know I need it 'off' for whatever that endeavor is, and just pull it off and leave it at home that day.

So, hopefully that's enough information to help you make a decision as to what your priorities are, depending on your use case, budget, and desire for a tonneau. Thanks for coming to my TEDTalk!

Sponsored

kcmwv

First Name
Kevyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Had truck since May 2022. The original powered tonneau always worked flawless for me, and I used it quite frequently in those almost 2 yrs. Had the truck at the SC for something recently not related, and while it was there they replaced the tonneau with the updated version. New one runs slightly quieter and smoother but only had it a week so no long term notes on reliability to report.
This is interesting to hear. I also have a powered tonneau that has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. I was told by service over the phone and by a service tech that they will only replace the original PTC if it fails. How did you pull this off?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Rivian says there is no efficiency difference with or without tonneau. (But they said that at the time they removed the tonneau from everyone's configuration so it may need to be taken with a grain of salt.)

As for whether or not it's worth it, consider that a manual tonneau (Rivian or aftermarket) will still be around $1500.

I have a manual one, and every time I have to remove and stack a panel or two so I can reach something that slid to the front of the bed I daydream that I was standing there pushing a button instead ;)

sherwinmdev

First Name
sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicles
2022 MYP, 2023 MXP, 2023 R1T DMP
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

If you're not frequently using it, and won't be using it when you have bikes/equipment/loads in there, just get a manual tonneau (and I'd suggest aftermarket: Interrobang or similar). Much less up front cost, seemingly more durable than Rivian's Manual (and more economical than the powered tonneau), and will do the same job. Stow it in the Gear Tunnel when you need to pull it off...
Thank you. I considered the manual but I didn't like having to store it in the gear tunnel. The configuration I wanted is currently unavailable now haha. I'm trying to reach my guide because I have other questions but he has been unresponsive the last couple of days. I want to put my order in already but need a few more questions answered.

@racekarl Good points. Thank you

MT R1T

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo V50 (2010) & XC90 Recharge('22); BMW M3('02)
Thank you. I considered the manual but I didn't like having to store it in the gear tunnel. The configuration I wanted is currently unavailable now haha. I'm trying to reach my guide because I have other questions but he has been unresponsive the last couple of days. I want to put my order in already but need a few more questions answered.

@racekarl Good points. Thank you
I am in the same boat with my order. I placed my order in August 2021. However, I live in MT and Rivian won't deliver here. At the end of last year they gave me the option to fly somewhere and pick up a truck and drive it home, but I haven't had the option for a configuration I am really happy with so have been waiting. It was also right in the middle of the holidays and it seemed like they were just trying anything to hit their sales numbers for the year. I have asked Rivian 3 or 4 times (typically when they ask me to confirm my configuration - not sure what benefit that has for a buyer) when the power tonneau will be available as an option on new builds and haven't gotten a response. I really don't want to confirm my configuration until it includes a power tonneau. As soon as they will sell me a truck with a power tonneau I'll jump on a plane and hand over my money. Until then I am waiting.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This is interesting to hear. I also have a powered tonneau that has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. I was told by service over the phone and by a service tech that they will only replace the original PTC if it fails. How did you pull this off?
I thought it was said all will be replaced? Maybe they changed their minds if you heard this recently?

Sponsored

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
I thought it was said all will be replaced? Maybe they changed their minds if you heard this recently?
My truck was delivered with the PTC broke. Took a year and a half to get it fixed. I just traded for a demo without a PTC. I'm just going to get one after market. The "fixed" tonneau is ok, but not great. You can get a more rain resistant one after market for $1500-2000. I've owned six pickups and always had a bed cover. Highly useful item to haul luggage, golf clubs (if more than one person in the truck) and for farm stuff I want to keep dry.. The Rivian version is a 5 out of 10 rating in my book. Not up to the quality of the rest of the truck.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Mine still works. Rivian called a couple weeks ago to schedule replacement. Scheduled for July 22nd…the soonest available

kcmwv

First Name
Kevyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm glad I posted here and got everyones feedback. I had to call into service to get a slot scheduled for my wife's R1S, and I asked the service advisor about this. He did confirm that all tonneau's are getting replaced, regardless if you have had any issues or not. That aligns with what I thought Rivian had originally said. The last couple of folks I had talked to must have not had all fo the facts?

He said that each service center has a list they are working through. If you have issues or already have an appointment, you can likely mention it to them and you can get bumped up. For me (knock on wood), I have not had any issues, so I'll just wait my turn.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

for those thinking about purchasing it as a retrofit - heard back from my guide today and they said the PTC will be "in the Gear Shop at the end of 2024".... 🧂🧂🧂

Here2there

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future R1T
I am in the same boat with my order. I placed my order in August 2021. However, I live in MT and Rivian won't deliver here. At the end of last year they gave me the option to fly somewhere and pick up a truck and drive it home, but I haven't had the option for a configuration I am really happy with so have been waiting. It was also right in the middle of the holidays and it seemed like they were just trying anything to hit their sales numbers for the year. I have asked Rivian 3 or 4 times (typically when they ask me to confirm my configuration - not sure what benefit that has for a buyer) when the power tonneau will be available as an option on new builds and haven't gotten a response. I really don't want to confirm my configuration until it includes a power tonneau. As soon as they will sell me a truck with a power tonneau I'll jump on a plane and hand over my money. Until then I am waiting.
that's been the hold up to confirming my order as well. PTC got removed and still waiting for it to show back up in my config page.
Sponsored