First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I know there are many things that influence range on EVs, but the engineer in me wants to have a number to aim for.

I am picking up my R1T (PDM, Standard +) on 3/28. I hope that it will have at least an 80% charge, is that a good assumption? If it is 80% should I see about 252 mile range?
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Also depends on which tires you will be running. 20s and 22s are less efficient than the 21s so that changes it some. I would say 250 miles would be not far off for 80% with 21s.

They do a good job keeping them charged up at the service centers so i would expect you shoudl have 80% on delivery day.

OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Also depends on which tires you will be running. 20s and 22s are less efficient than the 21s so that changes it some. I would say 250 miles would be not far off for 80% with 21s.

They do a good job keeping them charged up at the service centers so i would expect you shoudl have 80% on delivery day.
I forgot that part. I will be on 21s.

Utah-Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Subaru Accent, R2 slot reserved
Based on 21’s being the most efficient, I assume 22’s are better than 20’s, can anyone confirm this? Also how much of a hit are 22’s from 21’s? I just want more tire choices, so 21’s are not an option for me

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I know there are many things that influence range on EVs, but the engineer in me wants to have a number to aim for.

I am picking up my R1T (PDM, Standard +) on 3/28. I hope that it will have at least an 80% charge, is that a good assumption? If it is 80% should I see about 252 mile range?
Not sure how they are currently doing things, or if it varies by service center, but I live about 140 miles from where I picked up (Brooklyn). When I picked up, my R1T was at 100% charge, they said they charged it to full so I could have no issues making it home, and I didn't. I recently picked it up from service in Gaithersburg Maryland (also about 140 miles), and it was charged to 83%, also enough to make it home (although I used a Rivian fast charger on the way home). If you live a long ways from the service center, they will probably charge it up enough for you. If you live closer, where range isn't an issue, they may not charge it to a high state of charge.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Congratulations! SP is an excellent value IMO.

SP is supposed to be rates at 315 I'm so 80% would be 252. Now, Rivian is known for understating range but real world range will depend on many factors to include weather, ambient temps, speed, etc. I would plan to arrive at your destination with at least a 20% buffer just in case. So if you have to go more than 180 miles I would just tell them to charge it to 100% or maybe hit a fast charger to test that out on your way back.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Based on 21’s being the most efficient, I assume 22’s are better than 20’s, can anyone confirm this? Also how much of a hit are 22’s from 21’s? I just want more tire choices, so 21’s are not an option for me
As I recall, Kyle Connor (Out of Spec Reviews) found standard 22" had about 95% of the efficiency of standard 21", with standard 20" the least efficient at about 90%.

The 21" is the only wheel option with aerodynamic covers, which may make about a 2% difference in efficiency/range all by themselves.

There are SO many variables including speed, abrupt acceleration/deceleration, outside temperature, climate control modes, etc., etc. My brain isn't big enough, nor my time on earth long enough, to understand them all fully.

Learn what makes you the most comfortable, and use that learning whenever helpful, but don't forget to also enjoy this amazing vehicle!

OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Congratulations! SP is an excellent value IMO.

SP is supposed to be rates at 315 I'm so 80% would be 252. Now, Rivian is known for understating range but real world range will depend on many factors to include weather, ambient temps, speed, etc. I would plan to arrive at your destination with at least a 20% buffer just in case. So if you have to go more than 180 miles I would just tell them to charge it to 100% or maybe hit a fast charger to test that out on your way back.
Thanks, it felt like the best blend of fun (acceleration) and distance.

I drove a Civic hybrid from 2004-2010. The best mileage I ever got was almost 55 MPG. It will be fun to see what I can do in this. I have some thoughts on how to stretch the mileage.

Billy

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

… The best mileage I ever got was almost 55 MPG. It will be fun to see what I can do in this. I have some thoughts on how to stretch the mileage.
Wow! Biggest bump in MPG I got with my old ICE was 20% from drafting a double semi for a couple hours.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
sales
I would think you can tell your guide you need it charged to 100% in order to make the drive home.

Also see if you can do the delivery walk through plugged in and start by setting up a preconditioning session so the interior and battery and up to temp before leaving the service center.

Based on my delivery and overall Rivian experience I would expect both of those requests to be pretty easy to accommodate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Wow! Biggest bump in MPG I got with my old ICE was 20% from drafting a double semi for a couple hours.
I worked pretty hard to squeeze out ever mile. The car was rated at 48City/47Hwy, over the life of the car (I totaled it in a near head on collision) was 46.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I’m an engineer wannabe and I have the center screen display the gauges view, the driver screen showing the efficiency view, and I also have an Electrafi-Teslafi subscription.

I think you are going to have a lot of fun with your vehicle.

OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I’m an engineer wannabe and I have the center screen display the gauges view, the driver screen showing the efficiency view, and I also have an Electrafi-Teslafi subscription.

I think you are going to have a lot of fun with your vehicle.
Thanks. I think it will be fun, but I also think it is the right thing to do. I know all of the pluses/minuses of ICE and EV and in the long run I think our future is someplace other than ICE.

falconbro

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired

The nice thing about Rivian is their estimates for range have been spot on. Seems like along the way they’ve made adjustments to the range calculations but I can say without any reservations you’ll get the estimated range. I cannot say that for any of the Tesla’s I’ve owned.

anthonysfl

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
20’s with 275/60/20 AS tires are more efficient than the 21’s
Sponsored