First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
I know there are many things that influence range on EVs, but the engineer in me wants to have a number to aim for.

I am picking up my R1T (PDM, Standard +) on 3/28. I hope that it will have at least an 80% charge, is that a good assumption? If it is 80% should I see about 252 mile range?
I picked mine up at the Atlanta SC on 3/15 and it was fully charged 100%! They told me to run it down to at least 20 % before charging.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I picked mine up at the Atlanta SC on 3/15 and it was fully charged 100%! They told me to run it down to at least 20 % before charging.
Thanks. I have a 62 mile drive to the service center. Even if they just charge to 80% I should be fine. It will be interesting to see what they do and what they tell me.

stewart

First Name
stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chevy Blazer
Occupation
Consultant
I know there are many things that influence range on EVs, but the engineer in me wants to have a number to aim for.

I am picking up my R1T (PDM, Standard +) on 3/28. I hope that it will have at least an 80% charge, is that a good assumption? If it is 80% should I see about 252 mile range?
I find that it depends on driving mode and speed. If I switch to Efficiency Mode on highways and do 70MPH I get about 2miles per kWh. If I am driving back roads and am in the 40-50MPH range I can get closer to 2.5-2.8 miles per kWh, in normal driving mode. Tire pressure is a factor keep them inflated to the target level.

OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I find that it depends on driving mode and speed. If I switch to Efficiency Mode on highways and do 70MPH I get about 2miles per kWh. If I am driving back roads and am in the 40-50MPH range I can get closer to 2.5-2.8 miles per kWh, in normal driving mode. Tire pressure is a factor keep them inflated to the target level.
Thanks for the tips.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

How often are we supposed to let the battery get to 20% before recharging? I’ve never let it drop below 50% and I leave it plugged in when not in use.

I gave up on trying to follow battery best practices when the guidelines changed every few years. But are there best practices for an EV?

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

50% is the happiest state of charge for the battery.

They will deliver it with 100% charge when you pick it up. They do that for everyone.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
50% is the happiest state of charge for the battery.

They will deliver it with 100% charge when you pick it up. They do that for everyone.
Not really. Mine was around 75%, my neighbors about the same. And plenty of people on the forums that weren't delivered at 100%. No reason to unless you have a long drive home.

HopefullyR1S

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Occupation
SAHD
At pickup our R1S (DM,LG,22) was at 80% which is around 264 miles.
Our drive home was 194 miles. The guide showed me how to cancel the suggested in route charging and said I would be fine.
Estimated arrival was 30 miles. We arrived home with 70 left. The anxiety was real for a while.
Trust the trip gauge and always charge when you can.

edit to add: what I have read suggests keeping the battery between 50-70% as much as possible. Avoid letting battery go below 10% if possible and try not to leave for extended periods at 100% charge.
A lot of small charges is better than a few large charges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Billyt1963

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone for the great information. I reached out to my SC today, just checking in, and asked was my vehicle there. Reply was “It is still on the way”. Sometimes I can’t be patient enough. My pickup is Thursday, but I had hoped that it would be there today. 😒

HopefullyR1S

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Occupation
SAHD
Based on 21’s being the most efficient, I assume 22’s are better than 20’s, can anyone confirm this? Also how much of a hit are 22’s from 21’s? I just want more tire choices, so 21’s are not an option for me
yes 22s have better range than the 20s.

We have around 2500 miles (all winter, dec 30th-now) and at 70% we have 232 miles; so 331 at full charge. I believe the 21s should get 352 miles. So 21 mile difference for me.
Edit: 342 changed to 352

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigBambu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model Y, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Not employed. Won't work.
Based on 21’s being the most efficient, I assume 22’s are better than 20’s, can anyone confirm this? Also how much of a hit are 22’s from 21’s? I just want more tire choices, so 21’s are not an option for me
The wheel and the tire design both contribute to the efficiency of an EV. The weight and aerodynamic design of the wheel have an effect on that efficiency separate from the tire. It so happens that the most efficient design offered from Rivian is the one you have. This is a complicated subject, especially because wheel makers may or may not reliable test results. With a wheel, the most obvious factor is the weight. Less is better, usually. Now with a tire, all manufacturers have a "rolling resistance" and "hardness" rating of the rubber. The lower the rolling resistance the better. With tire hardness, the harder the better.

You can turn this into a real research project when the time comes for a new wheel and/or tire for your vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Lisa & Bob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20217 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
theoldbaileyplace.com, Escalante, Utah.
Clubs

Wow! Biggest bump in MPG I got with my old ICE was 20% from drafting a double semi for a couple hours.
I drafted a Wal Mart semi which is throttled to 65 mph for about half an hour an I was just below 4kw for about thirty minutes. Speed eats electrons

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I drafted a Wal Mart semi which is throttled to 65 mph for about half an hour an I was just below 4kw for about thirty minutes. Speed eats electrons
Speed eats gasoline too. And for the same reasons.
Sponsored