Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
Just wanted to share a possible solution for rim damage from the aero covers on the 21" rims.

As suggested by others, I bought the Orbital Rim Protection Kit (https://rimetrix.com/product/orbital-rim-protection-kit/) for Teslas. I took the sheet of foam strips you get and cut the whole thing in half. Each resulting sub section I applied to a ridge on the aero covers, wrapping the small bit of extra length around the ends (see pics ... first one shows one section done, the next a close up, and the third my rims after my trip).

I then put the covers on and made the 5 day, 3,200mls trip from Sacramento CA, to Warwick RI (another post to come), and examined the rims ... as you can see in the last picture, no damage at all and the strips were still in place. (FYI - it was raining when I took the last pic)

Let me know if you have questions.

Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers IMG_2828
Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers IMG_2829
Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers IMG_2876
Sponsored

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I did something similar but with Walmart weather stripping. Your foam strips will probably hold up better. Ultimately I wound up doing as other have suggested and just left them off.

Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers PXL_20230615_141149686.MP

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I am not sure that aero covers are going to get you enough in the way of range to make it worth keeping them on the truck. They make the truck look frumpy. When removed, the 21's are really nice looking.

Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers DSC_0551.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers DSC_0010.JPG

OP
OP

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
I am not sure that aero covers are going to get you enough in the way of range to make it worth keeping them on the truck. They make the truck look frumpy. When removed, the 21's are really nice looking.

I agree, but was giving Rivian the benefit of the doubt, as they went through the effort to make them. This trip was the first time I put them back on, and I took them off when I got here.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

What about the possibility of them preventing curb rash! You know when the concrete curb gouges the rim as you part too close?

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

Am I alone? I don’t think removing them makes the wheel look any better (or even substantially different)!

Sponsored

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
I just used thin strips of gorilla tape.
The wheel covers will not save your rims from curb damage. Believe me I know. Sadly

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Am I alone? I don’t think removing them makes the wheel look any better (or even substantially different)!
I prefer them out but I also don’t think they look bad installed. The flower pattern is noticeable either way but more pronounced when the covers are installed. It’s less of an issue with a black wheel or the twraps vinyl.
Rivian R1T R1S Prevent Damage to 21" Rims from Aero Covers IMG_4577

johnjackson99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Ioniq 5
Occupation
IT
The wheels get damaged just from leaving them in? I guess they move around when you drive?
Sponsored