First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Nothing
Buying a Rivian involves a leap of faith at this point. You are dealing with a new OEM which has come to market with the first EV in its category with vehicles that involve very complex engineering that has almost no reliability data behind it.

As others have stated, Early Adopters at this stage have to have patience and the willingness to effectively be beta testers because despite the hype, that is exactly what you are.

It is not an easy place to be, and I have been there when I purchased the first model year of an the electric BMW i3. It was an unmitigated nightmare and 2 years later I sold it at a loss and took my lumps. But, I stuck with the brand and in the subsequent model years, BMW figured things out.

When I talk to people about buying an EV I tell them to look for a company that has been in the game and producing EVs for at least 5 years. There aren't many OEMS that fit that category (Tesla, Nissan, BMW, Mini). Rivian is especially challenging because they don't have a robust service network in place, and the existing network is under constant stress.

Even for OEMS that have been around for a while - the ones introducing new EVs are still a risk because they likely have to train their service technicians on how to work on their vehicles which isn't an easy task. Look around forums for OEMs in this boat like Hyundai, Genesis, even Ford, where people are going back to the dealer over and over again and they can't figure out how to fix their newish vehicles because they have almost zero experience working on EVs at these dealerships.

I feel for the OP, but this is unfortunately an expensive life lesson.

The R2 will be a more refined platform, and Rivian will have learned an enormous amount from the R1 just like Tesla learned from the S and X before launching the 3 and Y.

For those that are unwilling to deal with early adopter issues, I think waiting for the R2 platform is a safer bet. By then, Rivian will have expanded their own charging network, gotten access to a growing Tesa network, and service centers will have expanded and improved from their early growing pains.
Yah, I get it. Just thought some of these issues would be resolved by now. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges and giving it some time.
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Seriously can't back up many times as the car simply stops. I guess it thinks something is behind me but there isn't. Nearly became stuck in a parking lot.
Stop lifting your butt off the seat. At least fasten your seat belt.

ThumprMN

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT Professional
Clubs

Smells like you would be happier with a Toyota. I think your subconscious has already made up its mind…. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I would rather have a supercar with a misaligned panel than zero panel gaps on a dogshit slow Toyota. Then, everywhere I drive, it would feel like I'm stuck in molasses. I cannot compare a Rivian and a Toyota, and I think if you fail to distinguish between the two, you should stick with Toyota. It's way cheaper.

I couldn't drive something like that. Your standard Toyota has the level of tech that my first car did, which was a 1969 model year; that might be a bit of a stretch, but honestly, it's not too far. Having something that has a decent aesthetic and good performance is far more important to me than perfect execution. Of course, Toyota is perfect; they've used the same stuff in their cars for 20 years. They know how to do it by now.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Are you asking "when is early adopter period over"?
I think I am. At what point do you say:
1. It's been long enough for the PTC
2. It's been long enough that we shouldn't be seeing daily posts about turtle mode, or 12v batteries, or CV joints.
3. It's been long enough that door panels should align from the factory and not require my time/effort/goodwill to schedule a service appointment at delivery.

I sincerely believe you can be a fan of Rivian, support the company, and still ask those above questions. You should be able to do it without cristicsm or people claiming you are being "negative ". And it's ok to ask on behalf of "everyone" even if you personally aren't experiencing the issues everyone else are.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I would rather have a supercar with a misaligned panel than zero panel gaps on a dogshit slow Toyota. Then, everywhere I drive, it would feel like I'm stuck in molasses. I cannot compare a Rivian and a Toyota, and I think if you fail to distinguish between the two, you should stick with Toyota. It's way cheaper.

I couldn't drive something like that. Your standard Toyota has the level of tech that my first car did, which was a 1969 model year; that might be a bit of a stretch, but honestly, it's not too far. Having something that has a decent aesthetic and good performance is far more important to me than perfect execution. Of course, Toyota is perfect; they've used the same stuff in their cars for 20 years. They know how to do it by now.
I grew up spoiled with Supras. They had all the fancy tech: modulating suspension, 8 way seats, auto HVAC, flip up headlights, telescoping steering wheel, stereo mixed AM radio, tons of speakers, turbo/intercooler, cruise control, flip up headlights, targa roof, mpg computer, speed sensitive steering, etc. PLUS the reliability (except for the heads gasket issue, RIP), so I know you can have both.

Oh, and longer than 20 years my child. Go buy a wiring harness for a Toyota stereo. I think it's still listed as compatible from "1984-2021". SMH.....

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I think I am. At what point do you say:
1. It's been long enough for the PTC
2. It's been long enough that we shouldn't be seeing daily posts about turtle mode, or 12v batteries, or CV joints.
3. It's been long enough that door panels should align from the factory and not require my time/effort/goodwill to schedule a service appointment at delivery.

I sincerely believe you can be a fan of Rivian, support the company, and still ask those above questions. You should be able to do it without cristicsm or people claiming you are being "negative ". And it's ok to ask on behalf of "everyone" even if you personally aren't experiencing the issues everyone else are.
1. Sucks but they have rolled out and are implementing a fix
2. Show me a new car from ANY company that doesn't have problems. Go on any other car forum and you'll find the same sort of stuff. Complete engine replacements in the Bronco that still haven't been resolved with that engine come to mind. When it comes to Rivian too many of you think this is indicative of some major issue but everyone else seems to get a pass.
3. This is such a minor complaint for almost all of the "misalignment" posts. Sure a few of them aren't so good but most of them are minor. I just don't see the issue so many people here are making it out to be.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
I grew up spoiled with Supras. They had all the fancy tech: modulating suspension, 8 way seats, auto HVAC, flip up headlights, telescoping steering wheel, stereo mixed AM radio, tons of speakers, turbo/intercooler, cruise control, flip up headlights, targa roof, mpg computer, speed sensitive steering, etc. PLUS the reliability (except for the heads gasket issue, RIP), so I know you can have both.

Oh, and longer than 20 years my child. Go buy a wiring harness for a Toyota stereo. I think it's still listed as compatible from "1984-2021". SMH.....
Supras in the 90's were fancy. They are basically the same tech/performance level now that they were then and it's no longer special. Comparing Toyota's potato-quality infotainment and computer system to Rivian's is like comparing the first iPhone and the current generation. Your longer than 20 years comment just reinforces my point. You wanted to know how long Rivian gets before they can be compared to the reliability to manufacturers like Toyota? Compare how long each company has been making cars for your answer.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Toyotas are so reliable because they make minor updates to 10-15 year old vehicles. They never take chances releasing new technology.
That's actually a great point and very true. Toyota is very slow to adopt new technology, instead sitting on the sidelines waiting for it to be perfected. So in my opinion, people who buy Toyotas value reliability over technology in a big way. It seems crazy to me that the Toyota 4Runner still uses an ancient 5-speed automatic transmission even on the 2024 models, as an example.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
...The vehicle sometimes makes my POS RAM 1500 look like a flawless diamond....
LOL.

That's not the type of endorsement Rivian wants, but it's still really funny!

Joefly78

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Max
Occupation
Pilot
LOL.

That's not the type of endorsement Rivian wants, but it's still really funny!
Probably sounds harsh. However, QA seems to be a real weakness for Rivian. My truck was delivered with flaws that became quickly apparent to me after driving it just a day or two. Nothing that prevents the operation of the vehicle, but also not acceptable on a $110k truck, heck on even a truck half that price. I'm confident they'll get it sorted out and will improve over time. Until then, please excuse that bizarre creaking, popping, snapping sound when you open the passenger door. :)
Sponsored