cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

One of my nozzles got clogged a while back. Mobile service came out and ended up blowing out the line - problem fixed (or so I thought)

The flow gradually decreased, making me wonder if my R1T had an enlarged prostate. Eventually the stream failed to clear the top of the wipers.

So I called them out again and they replaced the pump, but they found a bunch of schmoo clogging the filter.

I ended up siphoning everything out to find gobs and gobs of floating... Gobs. I ended up refilling with fresh water, and siphoning again (and again, and again....) until the water was clear and then let it soak with a strong concentration of bleach (which was then siphoned out again, fresh water Rinse, siphon, etc)

Now here's important point number one: the tech told me if it keeps happening, they'll have to remove the tank and flush the system, which would require the friggin bumper to come off.

Important point number two: use fluid with de-icer (alcohol based) to inhibit microbial growth.
Sponsored

Last edited:

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I have to ask, how does a nozzle "got coffee"?

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Simple, give it a job at Google on their autocorrect team. They give it for free.
o.k., I thought you had some sort of coffee related accident while filling... I can sort of see myself doing that. So, is the reason for clogging due to using a non-addictive (non-OE) washer fluid?

OP
OP
cjbot3000

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

o.k., I thought you had some sort of coffee related accident while filling... I can sort of see myself doing that. So, is the reason for clogging due to using a non-addictive (non-OE) washer fluid?
I was using a non-addictive washer fluid so I tried to fix it by adding caffeine...

But seriously, the Internet appears to agree that some sort of alcohol mix in the washer fluid prevents algae and such.

Very scientific.

I ordered the OE stuff, though, and learned I can still bend over enough to grab the ankles after paying $90 after shipping

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Never heard of this happening, but I also live somewhere it'll potentially freeze solid 6 months out of the year if it's not at toxic to mold levels of alcohol.

Aquinas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Wow. So now I have to worry about what friggin' washer fluid to use? This is obviously not a Rivian/EV problem.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

One of my nozzles got clogged a while back. Mobile service came out and ended up blowing out the line - problem fixed (or so I thought)

The flow gradually decreased, making me wonder if my R1T had an enlarged prostate. Eventually the stream failed to clear the top of the wipers.

So I called them out again and they replaced the pump, but they found a bunch of schmoo clogging the filter.

I ended up siphoning everything out to find gobs and gobs of floating... Gobs. I ended up refilling with fresh water, and siphoning again (and again, and again....) until the water was clear and then let it soak with a strong concentration of bleach (which was then siphoned out again, fresh water Rinse, siphon, etc)

Now here's important point number one: the tech told me if it keeps happening, they'll have to remove the tank and flush the system, which would require the friggin bumper to come off.

Important point number two: use fluid with de-icer (alcohol based) to inhibit microbial growth.
So what were you using for washer fluid that caused this problem? Were you using a product you purchased or some homemade science experiment?

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Wem just had a mobile service call to fix the wind noise and a broken spring on the tonneau cover.

The tech refilled the washers with some pink stuff that I assume is Rivian-certified.

OP
OP
cjbot3000

cjbot3000

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Clubs

Wow. So now I have to worry about what friggin' washer fluid to use? This is obviously not a Rivian/EV problem.
Eh, the Rivian issue here is that you can't just take the bottle out. You have to go in through the wheel well and take the bumper off to get the reservoir out. I imagine that would be a less than desirable labor fee

So what were you using for washer fluid that caused this problem? Were you using a product you purchased or some homemade science experiment?
The fluid, itself, didn't cause the problem. Just the fact that it wasn't a de-icer. I live in AZ, so the warm water eventually harbored some sort of something.

But, to answer your question, I've been a life long 20/10 fan. I used to use their de-icer, too, but it's really hard to find. I settled on the 20/10 super concentrate that requires a 1/2 teaspoon per gallon or something. Great stuff.

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Eh, the Rivian issue here is that you can't just take the bottle out. You have to go in through the wheel well and take the bumper off to get the reservoir out. I imagine that would be a less than desirable labor fee

The fluid, itself, didn't cause the problem. Just the fact that it wasn't a de-icer. I live in AZ, so the warm water eventually harbored some sort of something.

But, to answer your question, I've been a life long 20/10 fan. I used to use their de-icer, too, but it's really hard to find. I settled on the 20/10 super concentrate that requires a 1/2 teaspoon per gallon or something. Great stuff.
I think you did not follow the instructions it says to use 8oz per gallon on the label so I am guessing it was too diluted to stop the funk from growing. 1/2 teaspoon is 0.086931 oz. 8oz is 1 cup.

BTW I use have been using this concentrate for years on my other vehicles and in the Rivian as well with no issues when used according to label instructions.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J26HR9Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rivian R1T R1S PSA don't let stuff grow inside your washer fluid reservoir fluid

Last edited:

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Wrong concentrate. It's this stuff

1000000625.jpg
Ok so now we know what concentrate to avoid.
Do you use well water or water supplied from city etc?
Sponsored