First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition - Glacier White/Black Mountain
Occupation
Principal Engineer
I learned a very important lesson today. Yesterday, I took one of our doggies to the vet. I put the doggie seat in the front passenger seat and secured it with the strap around the headrest and the seatbelt through the straps on the doggie seat to make her safe and secure.

Upon returning home from the vet I left the doggie seat in the car. This morning I went out and climate control was still running keeping the inside at 72 degrees. I thought to myself, what the hell?

The only thing that had changed was me putting in the doggie seat, so I took it out and closed the door and went inside for a few minutes. I then went out and checked and sure enough, the vehicle had shut down as expected.

So, folks, keep in mind that if you ever clip the front seat belts for any reason. The vehicle will not shut down.

Lesson learned.
Sponsored

Mobius1

First Name
Asim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR; Ford Fusion Energi
Occupation
Technology
The can’t figure out if a person is in the seat, but a doggy seat, the can!! 🤦🏽‍♂️

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The can’t figure out if a person is in the seat, but a doggy seat, the can!! 🤦🏽‍♂️
Might have left a child buckled into the seat.

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Yes, having a front seat buckled will keep the AC on. I don't know about the back. The Rivian does not have an on/off switch. I know that pressing the brake is part of what turns it on. Leaving the vehicle turns it off. But it detects this, in part, using the seatbelt buckle. Perhaps someone will chime in with everything it looks for.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

This has been posted quite a few times. Imho dumb decision on Rivian's part. They should at least have a warning, but 🤷🤦

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

This was mentioned in the vampire drain thread as well last year.
The irony that leaving the seat belt clipped keeps the ac on and the car awake but a passenger of insufficient weight, see the airbag thread, can't access AC controls on their side is ludicrous.

JoeGiul

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Investor
Dog strap is always smapped in. Back seat. No issues.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I learned a very important lesson today. Yesterday, I took one of our doggies to the vet. I put the doggie seat in the front passenger seat and secured it with the strap around the headrest and the seatbelt through the straps on the doggie seat to make her safe and secure.

Upon returning home from the vet I left the doggie seat in the car. This morning I went out and climate control was still running keeping the inside at 72 degrees. I thought to myself, what the hell?

The only thing that had changed was me putting in the doggie seat, so I took it out and closed the door and went inside for a few minutes. I then went out and checked and sure enough, the vehicle had shut down as expected.

So, folks, keep in mind that if you ever clip the front seat belts for any reason. The vehicle will not shut down.

Lesson learned.
Sorry to read this. This a serious hazard / easy fix. If you have a child seat, it's easy to leave the seatbelt connected. Then your car doesn't work and you're stranded? Just a) send an alert to the phone after x time b) set a low battery mode so the car doesn't go too low at x level.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sorry to read this. This a serious hazard / easy fix. If you have a child seat, it's easy to leave the seatbelt connected. Then your car doesn't work and you're stranded? Just a) send an alert to the phone after x time b) set a low battery mode so the car doesn't go too low at x level.
Child seats go in the back. This issue only affects the front seats.

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Child seats go in the back. This issue only affects the front seats.
Oh, thanks. Take my example away, insert a better example, then I still stand by my previous statement 😂.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Oh, thanks. Take my example away, insert a better example, then I still stand by my previous statement 😂.
No question it is a problem, just not as impactful an issue as people make it sound.
Sponsored