GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

You can make that suggestion, but that only solidifies that you don't know who Brian is (Chief Engineer of Special Projects and employee number 4) and have never talked to him.
Lol.
I haven't either but I'm pretty sure he is wrong. It makes no sense that you wouldn't be able to see the difference. The normal underbody doesn't have a steel plate that is very visible on the reinforced. I don't think the normal has ANY steel on the underside.
And I agree with @jebinc, there was a photo floating around that showed the normal underbody and it was not smooth and flat. It had plastic visible and lots of gaps.

Personally, I'm speculating that a lot of the confusion is because RIvian has changed what they are producing and delivering over time when it comes to reinforced underbody shield vs. regular underbody. That, and the fact that they have straight up switched up this configuration on orders and also flat out forgotten to install certain panels. Lots of confusion about what it's supposed to look like.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Lol.
I haven't either but I'm pretty sure he is wrong. It makes no sense that you wouldn't be able to see the difference. The normal underbody doesn't have a steel plate that is very visible on the reinforced. I don't think the normal has ANY steel on the underside.
And I agree with @jebinc, there was a photo floating around that showed the normal underbody and it was not smooth and flat. It had plastic visible and lots of gaps.

Personally, I'm speculating that a lot of the confusion is because RIvian has changed what they are producing and delivering over time when it comes to reinforced underbody shield vs. regular underbody. That, and the fact that they have switched up this configuration and flat out forgotten certain panels. Lots of confusion about what it's supposed to look like.
You may be right, but I'll stick with Brian over a few random photos on the internet.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

You may be right, but I'll stick with Brian over a few random photos on the internet.
Can I ask what yours looks like? You have a LE, so you have a RUS, right? Does it have a steel plate?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
You can make that suggestion, but that only solidifies that you don't know who Brian is (Chief Engineer of Special Projects and employee number 4) and have never talked to him.
Nope, I don’t and haven’t. But the proof will become apparent when someone posts pictures of the stocker and that center groove I mentioned appears!

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
We shall soon know, when a member posts a photo.
Without the underbody shield courtesy of @Delusions of Adequacy:

Rivian R1T R1S PSA on Loose Underbody Shield Bolts 1667602001722

And here is mine with the underbody shield:

Rivian R1T R1S PSA on Loose Underbody Shield Bolts 20221104_155211

Some slight differences for sure (that may be due to production dates), but both are flat and covered and without gaps.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Without the underbody shield courtesy of @Delusions of Adequacy:

1667602001722.png

And here is mine with the underbody shield:

20221104_155211.jpg

Some slight differences for sure (that may be due to production dates), but both are flat and covered and without gaps.
Yep, and there is that center groove I first mentioned... Similar to RUS, but not the same.

Last edited:

deathernater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap Granite FE Interior
Just had my mechanic check my R1T and... about 5 Torx screws are so loose you can wiggle them with your finger.

This is almost recall level bad here. It's not like it's a design flaw it's just careless assembly. I reported the issue to Rivian already. I got paranoid seeing this thread and it seems the worries were warranted.

My vin is in the high 13000s.

Last edited:

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Just had my mechanic check my R1T and... about 5 Torx screws are so loose you can wiggle them with your finger.

This is almost recall level bad here. It's not like it's a design flaw it's just careless assembly. I reported the issue to Rivian already. I got paranoid seeing this thread and it seems the worries were warranted.

My vin is in the high 13000s.
So strange and inconsistent. I checked mine a while back (mid 12000s VIN) and all were properly tight.

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
Occupation
IT
I checked mine on week two of ownership back in June. A bunch were loose, one was missing. Headed to the SC to replace the missing and tighten them all back to spec.

Just checked two weeks ago: one was half a turn from falling out completely, many were loose. This is going to be an ongoing issue.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just checked two weeks ago: one was half a turn from falling out completely, many were loose. This is going to be an ongoing issue.
I wouldn't be as worried about torx screws as the actual bolts. The screws are on the plate ends and keep them in the right aero form, the BOLTS hold the RUS in place.

I have a couple screws sheered off from recent SC over-torque getting replaced next month, RUS isn't remotely close to loose.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I wouldn't be as worried about torx screws as the actual bolts. The screws are on the plate ends and keep them in the right aero form, the BOLTS hold the RUS in place.

I have a couple screws sheered off from recent SC over-torque getting replaced next month, RUS isn't remotely close to loose.

RUS?

Is this thread about the underbody armor or the carbon fiber shield?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

RUS?

Is this thread about the underbody armor or the carbon fiber shield?
Reinforced Underbody Shield.

Read the title, it's about loose bolts.

The things you said are one and the same.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Reinforced Underbody Shield.

Read the title, it's about loose bolts.

The things you said are one and the same.

Ok

I know the thread is about lose bolts but is this a problem for a truck with RUS or a truck without the RUS?

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Ok

I know the thread is about lose bolts but is this a problem for a truck with RUS or a truck without the RUS?
Both, it seems. The problem may be worse for the standard panels since there seem to be more of them, so a couple missing bolts is all it takes to lose a panel on the highway or while crossing water (see forum posts about this). The RUS appears to be a larger contiguous piece that might withstand having more bolts loose or missing.
Sponsored