kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yikes! Every other vehicle I’ve owned with a factory security system, no matter how crude, would provide some kind of feedback if a door wasn’t latched when the vehicle was locked.

Are the door sensors/switches so forgiving that the door was considered latched by the R1S? What happens if you have a door fully open and then lock?

It was fully open, not even close to being latched. I'll have to try the other doors.
Sponsored

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
So let me start out by saying a few things:

First, I don't know if this affects EVERY truck out there but I can tell you it affects the 3 I've talked to people about and I think the majority are affected.

Second, I submitted a support case with Rivian about this a month ago, also sent it to my guide, and DMed the software engineer on the reddit AMA from last month (no reply). While support has called me back a few times (only after calling them) they haven't acknowledge the issue and having provided a fix. They keep referring to it as an issue with "my truck" and they are still investigating it but I'm pretty sure it's MUCH bigger then that.

Third, I've been sitting on this hoping it would have been fixed in the latest software update but after my testing today it wasn't.

Finally, I'm a little apprehensive about posting this at all as it could leave people vulnerable (myself included), but at the same time if the issue is as big as I think it is, Rivian needs to make it priority one to fix, and the more people report it the faster that will happen.

Here is video of the issue, I'm marking it as a spoiler so hopefully it won't show up on google searches etc.

Some thoughts:

The biggest issue other then the alarm not going off is the screens turning on. This gives you full access to EVERY lockable storage area in the truck. So in theory, with one smashed window, ALL your stuff is gone.

It should also be noted that pushing the panic button on the FOB flashes the lights on the truck and nothing else. It doesn't honk at all, there are no gear guard "alarm" videos, nothing.

Watch the video, test it on your own truck, and if you have the same issue, please report it Rivian support so we can get it fixed for everyone.
Tested it like you did but have my phone away from vehicle and on airplane mode, unlocked the door from inside and that pops the door handles open which then I grabbed to open and the alarm went off.
If you close the door back, the sounds will stop but the lights will keep blinking.
Gearguard video showed my approach and reaching inside to open the door.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Tested it like you did but have my phone away from vehicle and on airplane mode, unlocked the door from inside and that pops the door handles open which then I grabbed to open and the alarm went off.
If you close the door back, the sounds will stop but the lights will keep blinking.
Gearguard video showed my approach and reaching inside to open the door.
I think it works now after the latest update. The problem still lies if you have a car seat buckled in the rear with a seatbelt that it won't go off. You can replicate by just plugging any seatbelt back there in and the alarm shouldn't go off when you open the door.
Sponsored