Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Ok I guess it’s possible it’s not criminal but wtf. Who the hell touches someone else’s property just cause they are curious? I’d be pissed
More people than you’d think. For some odd reason when people see a new car they think it’s a showroom car and it’s free for all for them to touch and explore. I ran into the same issues my my early Model X…except my alarm worked.
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Yeah my gear guard experience in general is pretty poor when it comes to recording useful events..

Someone hit my truck with a shopping cart the other day.. And my truck basically recorded every other event of people walking, cars driving etc.. but then magically in another video the cart is just sitting next to my truck and the cars that used to be parked near me are gone.. no recordings of them leaving or anything to do with the cart arriving 🤣

So hopefully gear guard is on the road map for many enhancements..
Most of our high school class was convinced that Gary wouldn’t amount to much after graduation.

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition El Cap
Occupation
Custom Residential Builder
My truck allowed me to open door then open hood, tailgate, gear tunnel. All without the alarm sounding but gear guard DID record my movements, lol. Phone was set to airplane, I wasn't home, key fob 100' away, truck allowed to sit locked up for a bit.

This is definitely something that needs to be fixed asap.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Haven’t done a full evaluation yet, but I can at least confirm that triggering the alarm through the app now triggers the truck’s horn in addition to the flashing lights. It also records video that is saved to the alarm section in gear guard.

The alarm is very, very loud but I also triggered it inside an enclosed parking garage which probably exaggerated it significantly.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Haven’t done a full evaluation yet, but I can at least confirm that triggering the alarm through the app now triggers the truck’s horn in addition to the flashing lights. It also records video that is saved to the alarm section in gear guard.

The alarm is very, very loud but I also triggered it inside an enclosed parking garage which probably exaggerated it significantly.
This is a terrible two second video, but I didn’t want to upset all the neighbors.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

OK, so we've basically learned that Rivian did not put in an alarm with a speaker/siren. its just the horn going off. and obviously they didnt think about an actual audible alarm until folks started to complain there was none.

WTF Rivian.

maybe you can put the camp speaker in the bed, use the gear guard cable to secure it and then use it to blare an alarm.

yeah, i know at least we have the horn but its an obvious miss by them.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
OK, so we've basically learned that Rivian did not put in an alarm with a speaker/siren. its just the horn going off. and obviously they didnt think about an actual audible alarm until folks started to complain there was none.

WTF Rivian.

maybe you can put the camp speaker in the bed, use the gear guard cable to secure it and then use it to blare an alarm.

Every vehicle from every brand I can think of uses the horn for the alarm. The only alarms I can think of with separate sirens are aftermarket, and they generally piss people off.

Flabirder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model S P100DL
Every vehicle from every brand I can think of uses the horn for the alarm. The only alarms I can think of with separate sirens are aftermarket, and they generally piss people off.
My Tesla loudly plays Bach's Tocatta and Fugue for the alarm.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

That would be good for tailgating in the parking lot before the Rollerball game.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Flight of the Valkyries would probably be better, especially if it was Charlie trying to break into your car.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

WTF Rivian.

I can't wait to hear Rivian alarms going off in the campgrounds ;)

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT

Thanks for checking. I have the update waiting to be installed but this is very good news.

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition El Cap
Occupation
Custom Residential Builder
I talked to a very helpful person with Rivian service for other issues and asked him about this alarming issue (pun intended).

He said Rivian is working hard on a fix for the security issues and are hoping to have another security specific update out in the next few weeks.

Definitely a massive miss as security should be top priority from day one but it's good that they're working on a fix quickly.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
FYI, I just tested this at a car show with my truck and another and the issue still exists in the exact same way.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Let's see if they will give us this on their next update. I think it would solve the problem.

Sponsored