Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I can see the potential downside here but maybe I'm an idiot for not viewing this as a major security issue? I feel like the solution is to not leave your windows open when you leave your vehicle...fairly simple fix, no? Context - I'm coming from an older ICE where if I left my window open you would have the same type of access and be able to unlock the doors and get at anything in the vehicle. Is it a standard feature in newer cars, particularly EVs, to not allow access to the vehicle through open windows?

*Edited to confirm that I am, in fact, an idiot and didn't read spoiler #2 :)

I tested this on my 2014 JGC. The second I pulled that handle, the alarm went off. That should be the MINIMUM the Rivian does.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I tested this on my 2014 JGC. The second I pulled that handle, the alarm went off. That should be the MINIMUM the Rivian does.
I think a single pull could be just flash the lights a few times and maybe a little chirp along with some Gear Guard Gary action on the screen.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

A handle pull would be nice. Where I live it is common for people to come around in the middle of the night looking for unlocked cars. If alarms started going off it would drastically cut down on this activity.

Itā€™s a shame more vehicles donā€™t have that feature. I always park inside so it doesnā€™t affect me, but many neighbors have had their cars rifled through, and one neighbor had their garage accessed as well because the opener was in a car they left unlocked.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think a single pull could be just flash the lights a few times and maybe a little chirp along with some Gear Guard Gary action on the screen.

I'm confused, at the point they pull the handle in the video (just like my test), the window is down and they reached INTO the vehicle, thats beyond a chirp, they are already in the car.

From the outside, they can't pull the Rivian handle from what I understand, isn't it folded in?

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm confused, at the point they pull the handle in the video (just like my test), the window is down and they reached INTO the vehicle, thats beyond a chirp, they are already in the car.

From the outside, they can't pull the Rivian handle from what I understand, isn't it folded in?
You can depress one side of handle to lift the business end up and grab it. Thatā€™s how I get back in the vehicle when in car wash mode.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I was referring to a single pull from OUTSIDE. The handles are folded in but if you push on them you can tilt it out and grab it and pull. This is similar to how the Tesla Model 3 and Y work. This is also how you are supposed to open the door when in "Car Wash Mode".

Some curious (or nefarious, depending on perspective) bystanders have tried opening R1T doors when locked, and this is the situation where I think a flash/chirp/Gary is warranted.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was referring to a single pull from OUTSIDE. The handles are folded in but if you push on them you can tilt it out and grab it and pull. This is similar to how the Tesla Model 3 and Y work. This is also how you are supposed to open the door when in "Car Wash Mode".

Some curious (or nefarious, depending on perspective) bystanders have tried opening R1T doors when locked, and this is the situation where I think a flash/chirp/Gary is warranted.

Thanks for clarifying the feature.

100% agree, anyone touches the car it should chirp/alarm. Pulling on the handle warrants lasers frying them...

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I have suspected that the alarm doesn't work at all. I have this video of a guy pushing on my door handle and trying to open my door in a parking garage and no alarm goes off.

For Clarity - the rest of the event videos showed he was one of 2 guys clearly interested in Rivian and talking for awhile at the rear of the truck before he did this when he got in his car - I don't think he was trying to break in - but he is an idiot for trying to open the door and look.

I have sent in a support ticket and appreciate the work of @Khaneric boosting awareness!

uh.... wasn't trying to break in? who tries to open someone else's car door if not to do that.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So weird plot twistā€¦. Got a push notification on my phone that my alarm was triggered. Went back to the vehicle and there is a gear guard video on the alarm tab (always been blank, before). I watched the full length of each camera view and you can see the reflection of the R1T alarm lights flashingā€¦. But no other motion. No obvious explanation for why it decided to trigger.

this isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve gotten the push notification,but it is the first time it recorded video. Unfortunately,it asks more questions than it answers, for me, about how it works.

Sponsored

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Fisheries science

Easy to pull the handle. Just push in on the forward part and it will pop open.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

so this thread is basically a how-to to break into a Rivian... :oops:

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

uh.... wasn't trying to break in? who tries to open someone else's car door if not to do that.
I was recently reviewing the motion activated videos on my truck and saw somebody trying the door handle. A curious couple walking their dog went all around the truck, probably spending a good 2 minutes looking it over. They did not appear to be criminaling about, just checking out that new Rivian thing they read about. At one point one tried to poke at the door handle a couple times.

Sadly, no alarm was triggered. It would have made for a better video if it startled them.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
ā€¦Pulling on the handle warrants lasers frying them...
This is a genius idea. Youā€™re hired as Rivian Chief of Security Tech.

OK, so maybe not a lethal HV dosage, but Truck Taser level would do.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

I was recently reviewing the motion activated videos on my truck and saw somebody trying the door handle. A curious couple walking their dog went all around the truck, probably spending a good 2 minutes looking it over. They did not appear to be criminaling about, just checking out that new Rivian thing they read about. At one point one tried to poke at the door handle a couple times.

Sadly, no alarm was triggered. It would have made for a better video if it startled them.
Ok I guess itā€™s possible itā€™s not criminal but wtf. Who the hell touches someone elseā€™s property just cause they are curious? Iā€™d be pissed
Sponsored