atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Here’s another fun thing that was pointed out to me a few days ago. I was sitting in the truck in Park, speaking to someone standing outside the driver door. He asked me why the handles were sticking out. I had never realized that the handles are presenting when the car is unlocked & in Park, even though I’m still sitting in the drivers seat. I’m not a fan of the handles continuously presenting anyway (you can just push on the other end to get at the handle) but especially if you’re sitting in the truck, the presented handle is an invitation for a ne’er-do-well to ooo pop en your door. So remember to lock your doors of your just sitting in the truck.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Here’s another fun thing that was pointed out to me a few days ago. I was sitting in the truck in Park, speaking to someone standing outside the driver door. He asked me why the handles were sticking out. I had never realized that the handles are presenting when the car is unlocked & in Park, even though I’m still sitting in the drivers seat. I’m not a fan of the handles continuously presenting anyway (you can just push on the other end to get at the handle) but especially if you’re sitting in the truck, the presented handle is an invitation for a ne’er-do-well to ooo pop en your door. So remember to lock your doors of your just sitting in the truck.
You can change which doors unlock when parking, thereby changing which handles present.

Iwannarivian

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Panamera 4, Wrangler, MB C250, Civic Sport
Occupation
pretending to be retired
Clubs

Yeah my gear guard experience in general is pretty poor when it comes to recording useful events..

Someone hit my truck with a shopping cart the other day.. And my truck basically recorded every other event of people walking, cars driving etc.. but then magically in another video the cart is just sitting next to my truck and the cars that used to be parked near me are gone.. no recordings of them leaving or anything to do with the cart arriving 🤣

So hopefully gear guard is on the road map for many enhancements..
amen to brother!!! GG is totally useless MOST of the time!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

As @Khaneric mentioned, the alarm still isn't functioning properly even though the panic mode works now. I had a weird issue this evening after getting home. My R1T was sitting in my garage, locked, and I was inside of my house. I got a notification on my phone that the alarm had been triggered. Opened the app and it didn't show anything. Went out to the garage and everything looked normal.

However, there was a gear guard video recorded under the alarm section and it looks like the alarm was triggered, with the flashing lights, but no horn like when the panic mode is triggered. So not only is the alarm still silent, I have no idea what set it off randomly in my garage.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Bump. Anyone got the inside scoop on whether this alarm issue will be fixed in the next OTA?

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I hope that an OTA update can add some more options for the behavior of the handle motors and allow manual use of the handles.

I would prefer a manual mode 99% of the time. Perhaps only extending when I press a button on the screen or keyfob.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I, for one would like to understand why I can hear my truck unlock in the garage when I open the door to our refrigerator (which happens to be on the facing wall of our garage), yet, when I approach the truck in a parking lot I’m “The Man that Stares at Door Handles” for 8-10 seconds before it recognizes me.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Just wanted to update this as my truck was at the service center for a couple other issues and they investigated this more and found the issue.

TLDR: If you have a carseat buckled into the truck, the alarm won't go off. They are going to request a software update to fix it.

Here is the verbiage from the service ticket:

Concern:- customer states that Alarm doesn't work, no sound and no recording, When the truck is locked the alarm never goes off when the door is forced open. I tried this multiple times and multiple ways and can never get the alarm to sound. If I roll the windows down and lock the truck and open the door from the inside out (reaching though the window) nothing happens. If I lock the truck and sit in the backseat (without the key and windows up) and open the door, nothing happens. If I push the panic button on the fob, the lights blink but there is no horn honking or any other noise. Not a single one of these events were recorded on the gear guard.

Cause:- At this time technician set all parameters to activated alarm and was successful. Furthermore found that the alarm will not go off if seat belt is buckle or someone sits on vehicle. Found customer had a child seat that was buckle ( right rear seat) and will not setting off alarm . The alarm system begins in a Disarmed state, and will automatically enter an Armed state when all Closures are locked and sealed (except for the Tonneau or tailgate) and no occupant is detected in the vehicle. The vehicle must be in the Sleep power mode to arm. The driver can disable the alarm by unlocking a Closure or disabling the alarm. Once the alarm is ready, the alarm can be Triggered by either a detected disturbance (indicators of intrusion or theft) or the driver triggers Panic mode. At this time sending this to quality control so they can enhance system to be able to set alarm off if vehicle had a child seat buckle.

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
YUUUUP, seems like the camera inside doesn't detect the motion. One thing to note, from what i'm seeing that car seat dock isn't even in with the seat belt but the latch anchors instead.

This alarm system leaves A LOT to be desired.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I guess this is more along the lines of the same thing?
Yikes! Every other vehicle I’ve owned with a factory security system, no matter how crude, would provide some kind of feedback if a door wasn’t latched when the vehicle was locked.

Are the door sensors/switches so forgiving that the door was considered latched by the R1S? What happens if you have a door fully open and then lock?

OP
OP
Khaneric

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Yep. Especially if the truck is left unlocked with the windows open. Who would have thought?
You don't seem to understand the difference between having your window down and having someone smash it in because currently, if someone smashes in your window nothing happens.