R1 DM behavior question

Move

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For those of you with dual motors, curious if you have a similar behavior on your R1 in All Purpose mode. I have observed routinely that if I am driving under 35 mph and hit a decent pothole or bump that the rear motor will reengage for about 30 seconds. I have gotten to the point I can almost predict when it will engage in certain parts of Houston (gotta love our crappy roads). Trying to figure out if this is normal or if I need to log a ticket for it.
Sponsored

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

is it driving with just one motor before this happens? And how do you know it re engages? From the screens or is this something you feel or hear?
Sorry for the questions. I’m just trying to better understand what you are saying so I can see if my DM R1T does it.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
I never noticed but, if I remember, I will see if I can recreate this on some of our local speed bumps.

OP
OP
Move

Move

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For those of you with dual motors, curious if you have a similar behavior on your R1 in All Purpose mode. I have observed routinely that if I am driving under 35 mph and hit a decent pothole or bump that the rear motor will reengage for about 30 seconds. I have gotten to the point I can almost predict when it will engage in certain parts of Houston (gotta love our crappy roads). Trying to figure out if this is normal or if I need to log a ticket for it.
Normal.

If the pothole upsets the suspension enough to cause wheel hop, even a slight one, it will engage the second motor so that full traction control on all four wheels is at your disposal.

I have tested this behavior in extremely slippery situations, and it is incredibly quick to respond and correct vehicle dynamics.

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
I agree it might have something to do with a wheel losing traction. I tested it today and it stayed in FWD. Maybe the OP unconsciously slowed down enough to have the rear motor engage as it normally would.
Sponsored