First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Don’t worry, given Florida’s exemplary public school curriculum, in ~2 generation cycles no one will know how to procreate and all the retiree communities will have expired
I got some bad news for you, the worse the education the more likely they will have teen pregnancies and higher number of kids per person. Things like birth control and family planning are really only found in educated populations.
Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I took delivery of my R1S in April after an 18 month wait. I absolutely love the driving, ride and performance of the vehicle. However I just sold it (for more than I paid for it) due to the extreme heat in the cab and the poor AC. We do not have covered or shaded parking at my office and when I would go out to lunch the cabin temperature was routinely above 130. It would not cool down on my drive to lunch or the 15 min home from work. The compressor also continually whined which was annoying. No Apple Car Play or XM radio were also factors. This is just not a car for Florida until improvements are made to the AC and adding a sunshade to the sunroof. I hate losing the car but I hope to buy another one once these improvements happen..
Most people have said it's the windshield that lets through the IR that bakes the cabin. The roof is already treated to reflect something like 98% of the UV.

Also, some have taken their R1's into the shop regarding the AC and have had it greatly improved.

Glad you got more than you bought it for!

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

My R1T AC works fine in Phoenix. Maybe Rivian lost the recipe. I do wonder why all these car companies think glass roofs are such a great feature. I have no use for a glass roof, but am stuck with them on my last two new vehicles.
I completely agree on sunroof. Why again is having a glass-covered hole in your vehicle roof a feature? :whew:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Don’t worry, given Florida’s exemplary public school curriculum, in ~2 generation cycles no one will know how to procreate and all the retiree communities will have expired
you're pretty optimistic about it taking two generations LOL

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P

Sponsored

kyledmb

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Clubs

OP probably had a mechanical issue with the A/C that could have been a 2 hour fix at the SC. Just got mine back today to fix what they said was a "relatively common issue they have seen with a faulty o-ring that caused a leak." This doesn't 100% kill the A/C, but it drastically reduced my R1T's ability to cool the cabin.

After the fix it works great.

GHuff

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Clubs

Everyone on here telling you to tint. Well, I live in Texas and ceramic tinted the roof and it is still annoyingly hot.

Even while driving after the cab has cooled down, the top of my head is quite literally hot to the touch. The sun is intense, the glass roof is too hot to touch, and your head is inches from it. I have learned that you have to preemptively turn on the AC via phone app at least 5 min before going anywhere in Texas or it is unbearable. If you forget, you have to drive with all of the windows down for a few minutes to not overheat. Having to get on the app before going anywhere is definitely annoying to do and I often forget.

The cab gets so hot while parked in the sun that I swear I am starting to smell glue/plastic/fabric release new odors. The smell was so strong that I searched my car looking to see if I left something, even a pen, in the vehicle. Didn't find anything. It is just the smell of the interior baking in an oven.

TLDR: The sun roof is a huge miss by Rivian IMO. I spent $1,050 to ceramic tint my roof, all windows, and windshield and it is still too hot. The heat that comes from the roof while driving in the sun is extremely noticeable. I am waiting for a elegant permanent shade solution.

MileHigh

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 430i GC, R1T
Throwing in my experience - had a cycling compressor that would only stay on for <5s at a time, then remain off for 30s+. Would never cool the car once heat soaked.

Submitted a ticket on Monday, and was in the shop Tuesday morning and checked out that afternoon. Apparently, as previously mentioned on this thread, a number of 23Q1 builds had overfilled refrigerant from the factory causing a faulty freeze state on the condenser - sending a signal to the compressor to shut off. Denver SC confirmed my issue and found it overfilled. Flushed and refilled to spec and it solved the issue. Now I’m happy and chilly 🥶. A little frustrated that it required a trip to the SC and this got by factory QC but resolved quickly nonetheless.

Still need to dig through these forums to find some recommendations on ceramic tint in the Denver area. 😊

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Data point, AC in our R1T is one of the best car ACs I’ve ever had. That includes better than two Porsche Macans (which were good) and Jeep Grand Cherokee. No complaints. Oh, and it’s 95 here in DC.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Let me end this thread and prove how much of a nothingburger this is.

100 degree temps outside. Sensor reads 106 and cabin temp is 59.

I have no tint. 100% stock.

temps in Orlando are 92 and Miami is 87.

Solid excuses bro for trying to fill up the piggy bank.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S cabin temperature just too hot for Florida IMG_2161
Rivian R1T R1S R1S cabin temperature just too hot for Florida IMG_2157
Rivian R1T R1S R1S cabin temperature just too hot for Florida IMG_2175
Rivian R1T R1S R1S cabin temperature just too hot for Florida IMG_2174

Sponsored

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
It was 102 where I live today (Missouri). I turned on the pre-condition and 3 minutes later was in the vehicle after work. It was already comfortable inside and I don't have any tinting or sunshades. I ran the AC fan on a setting of 5 for the first few minutes and then turned it down to a setting of 3 and it was still comfortable. If someone is having trouble with cooling I'd get it checked out by service. My only complaint is the noise and vibration when set at higher fan speeds, but I rarely run it at those higher settings.

eshort1429

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GS 350, Ford Mustang GT, BMW X5
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I took delivery of my R1S in April after an 18 month wait. I absolutely love the driving, ride and performance of the vehicle. However I just sold it (for more than I paid for it) due to the extreme heat in the cab and the poor AC. We do not have covered or shaded parking at my office and when I would go out to lunch the cabin temperature was routinely above 130. It would not cool down on my drive to lunch or the 15 min home from work. The compressor also continually whined which was annoying. No Apple Car Play or XM radio were also factors. This is just not a car for Florida until improvements are made to the AC and adding a sunshade to the sunroof. I hate losing the car but I hope to buy another one once these improvements happen..

I am 1:45 minutes SOUTH of you and haven't had ANY problems with the AC. I also have seen my cabin temperature over 130 but I plan accordingly and cool in advance, use pet mode, tinted windows, installed roof shade etc. Did you put a ticket in? It has been MISERABLE her the past two weeks but haven't had to run the fan over past the third speed. (Owner since 11/22)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Lots of weather reports in this thread. I’m using it to plan my next vacation.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Not sure why all the hostility to the OP.
Stock my R1S got way too hot. Even with windsheild tint and front window tint it can hit 127 on an 80 degree day when parked. That’s not a thoroughly thought out design.

That wouldn't be as much of an issue if preconditioning or even driving it would bring that down quickly, but it doesn’t for me. Barely cool air comes out of my vents, high 60s when measured.

Taking my R1S in to have them look at the AC.

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

My dude, have you seen the movie Idocracy?
Sponsored