Sponsored

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I usually have my cargo floor in the default setting, but I've needed a flat floor for loading large objects before. The R1S has a 2nd position for the load floor to allow for the floor to be stepless but this causes the area behind the 3rd row to be ramped at a significant enough level that I would worry about strapping down stuff on that end and bending it.

I designed and had a friend 3D print some floor risers that make the floor basically flat. It seems the 3rd row folded is still at an angle, so the cargo floor is flat but you can still see a little "ramp" at the 3rd row seats.

I designed them to be foldable so that they can stow away easily under the rear floor without taking too much space since they are "L" shaped. By complete luck they fit almost perfectly in the 3rd row armrest storage as long as you leave the armrest cover open. The floor alignment tabs fit just over the top of the arm rest opening (see pictures below).

I haven't load tested them but I used triangular infill so they should support a decent amount of weight. I also discovered that I need to add an additional support in the center where the large gap is currently, as is there is significant flex at that spot on the floor. I've modelled the center piece already but since I don't have a printer myself and need to rely on a friend's I can't immediately test with the center support.

I am no means a pro at this, and all measurements from the car were taken with a caliper, not 3D scanned so it's all pretty rough, but I'm excited with the results regardless.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5765
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5766
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5767
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5768
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5769
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5770
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5771
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution Screenshot 2024-01-24 220429

******UPDATE 1*******

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1706217910961-

The red lines are the the original support when used in the "ramp" mode. So by deduction, Rivian is saying that supporting solely along the two longer sides is enough. My original supports used the upper red lines and the two blue L's. Under initial unscientific testing where I put some weight onto the center of the floor where the green line is, I saw some flex that I was not happy with.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1706217917682-

Since then I have added this green piece intended to add the additional support to the area of the first picture.

I am discussing with Rob how to get these cleaned up.

******UPDATE 2*******

Current version is now uploaded.

ORIGINAL IN PICTURE, 62mm height
https://www.printables.com/model/738100-rivian-r1s-trunk-riser-62mm

57mm height
https://www.printables.com/model/738100-rivian-r1s-trunk-riser-57mm

The shorter one is a trial to see if i can make it more level with the 3rd row seats. 57MM VERSION HAS NOT BEEN TESTED YET.

Also note that the center support on either also have not been tested yet as I've mentioned in the original post. For others who can wait, I would wait for Rob's revisions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

tahoer1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
These are great!

What's the height you used for each riser? Same for all 4 corners?

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but with wood and just leaving the frame in place.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I usually have my cargo floor in the default setting, but I've needed a flat floor for loading large objects before. The R1S has a 2nd position for the load floor to allow for the floor to be stepless but this causes the area behind the 3rd row to be ramped at a significant enough level that I would worry about strapping down stuff on that end and bending it.

I designed and had a friend 3D print some floor risers that make the floor basically flat. It seems the 3rd row folded is still at an angle, so the cargo floor is flat but you can still see a little "ramp" at the 3rd row seats.

I designed them to be foldable so that they can stow away easily under the rear floor without taking too much space since they are "L" shaped. By complete luck they fit almost perfectly in the 3rd row armrest storage as long as you leave the armrest cover open. The floor alignment tabs fit just over the top of the arm rest opening (see pictures below).

I haven't load tested them but I used triangular infill so they should support a decent amount of weight. I also discovered that I need to add an additional support in the center where the large gap is currently, as is there is significant flex at that spot on the floor. I've modelled the center piece already but since I don't have a printer myself and need to rely on a friend's I can't immediately test with the center support.

I am no means a pro at this, and all measurements from the car were taken with a caliper, not 3D scanned so it's all pretty rough, but I'm excited with the results regardless.

IMG_5765.jpg
IMG_5766.jpg
IMG_5767.jpg
IMG_5768.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5770.jpg
IMG_5771.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-24 220429.png
That's awesome, and a need for sure. Much more elegant than my scrap wood solution.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution 1706190610944

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I intended to share these open source. I don’t have a 3D printer myself and no way to manage orders so I didn’t intend to sell them myself. I just got these in hand yesterday to test with and added the center support, so I wouldn’t say they’re ready for a full release yet.

@RWerksman I have no problem if you want to test, sell, remix, or completely remake them. Actually thought about reaching out to you to get your thoughts once they were more developed and to get them out into the community. I’ll upload them in a couple hours once I get back to a computer.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

IMG_5765.jpg
IMG_5766.jpg
IMG_5767.jpg
IMG_5768.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg
IMG_5770.jpg
IMG_5771.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-24 220429.png
That’s a very nice solution! :clap:

I suggested something similar back when @BestEvMod(AOSK) was asking for product ideas: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-rivian-and-nobody-made-yet.19457/post-403337

I like the fact that what you designed can fold for ease of storage. :like:

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
An elegant solution - especially thinking to make them folding as you were developing the proof of concept. For a center support piece you may need a bit of Velcro on the bottom side of the "floor" and the top of the support to keep it in place.

I'd also buy a set if someone wants to print and sell them.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is excellent! I've had a few people reach out to me about doing something like this. Alas, I have an R1T so I couldn't test it. I'm happy to help in any way I can, and quickly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kelvn

Kelvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
These are great!

What's the height you used for each riser? Same for all 4 corners?

I've been thinking of doing something similar, but with wood and just leaving the frame in place.
I’ll check the dimensions when I’m back on a computer, but it’s only one the leading 2 corners as the rear/forward section still uses the original Lip on the 3rd row.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Cargo Floor Risers (For Flat Floor) -- my 3D print solution IMG_5774

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
I’ll check the dimensions when I’m back on a computer, but it’s only one the leading 2 corners as the rear/forward section still uses the original Lip on the 3rd row.
IMG_5774.jpeg
Smart. I'd buy a set.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It's really great. Glad people are thinking about making the space more useful.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Why the heck can't Rivian just option these WITHOUT the 2nd row seats?
Sponsored