Sponsored

R1S Chrome Delete

R1SChi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai palisade
Hi all - curious for perspectives. I'm supposed to get my R1S any time (still haven't gotten 8 steps despite Aug/Sept window). In the meantime I've reached out to a couple of places locally in Chicago about chrome delete. I've never done chrome delete or any real auto detailing before but in this case I dislike the chrome look enough that I'm planning to do it as soon as I get my SUV. So... question: I reached out to 2 places - the first quoted me $300 and 3 hours of work. The second quoted me $800 and said they would need 2-3 days. Obviously I want a quality job but the difference surprised me not just $ but time. It doesn't feel like a lot of work to me but maybe someone out there can direct me a bit...
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure if it matters to you, but it's a satin metal, not chrome.

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I can't offer any guidance on labor and pricing, but the roof trim is not chrome. It's like a matte silver finish. Either way it can be wrapped with dark colored vinyl to blend in, and it wraps all the way around the roof with only a few horizontal seams in it so I'd imagine it's challenging to get pieces that long, flat and straight, then trimmed to get a perfect finish. Here's a crappy photoshop I did to include what it could look like with dark vinyl on the roof trim, along with the already available vinyl stickers for the wheels, and a debadge of the sides and rear.

Rivian R1T R1S R1S Chrome Delete downloadmbmod

I do really like the lack of contrasting silver roof trim and I will likely pursue getting it wrapped gloss black to blend in when I take delivery. Not sure how it's secured to the car, but once someone gets their hands on it, they may be able to remove it carefully with trim tools without damaging anything to wrap it more easily. My guess is that it pops in with plastic fasteners that could break if you aren't careful. Good luck and sorry I couldn't be more help other than the one clarification and this concept photoshop!

Last edited:

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Everyone has different tastes for sure but I honestly like the way it is now. I have seen many posts on not liking this look however so there is obviously a reasonable number of folks who don't.

OP
OP

R1SChi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai palisade
so... I appreciate that it is not "chrome" and everyone has their own tastes - it's just that when you discuss the service it's not called "satin metal delete" - if anyone can help on the deletion of this strip that's what I'm looking for.

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

so... I appreciate that it is not "chrome" and everyone has their own tastes - it's just that when you discuss the service it's not called "satin metal delete" - if anyone can help on the deletion of this strip that's what I'm looking for.
Call it a "roof trim wrap" and nobody will be confused.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Back in the day (and probably still now) BMW offered an option called shadowline (blacked out plastic window trim - OEM black parts). You could do it yourself with vinyl tape which you could easily find online for $20-30. If done by a professional shop I would agree on a couple hundred bucks max. The $800 quote is a joke.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I asked about that piece of trim, as well as the front skid and rear trim, and blacking out badges. Ballpark $2500 for all that in Nashville.

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Likely just go to a number of shops who specialize in wraps near you and tell them what you want to do to get multiple quotes.

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

You could do it yourself with vinyl tape which you could easily find online for $20-30.
This is a great idea that I will pursue. Not sure why I was thinking about cutting up strips from large sheets of vinyl as you'd do a body panel, but my brain went there instead of a simple roll of 2 inch wide black vinyl tape. Easy DIY and easy to fix if you screw up a section, likely to happen where it curves down at the back.

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
So Tesla has chrome delete stickers or vinyl that blow dry on. They work pretty well.

Maybe those folks making vinyls for the Rivian wheels can take some measurements and start selling them. Off course they would need to get a hand on an R1S first................

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

So Tesla has chrome delete stickers or vinyl that blow dry on. They work pretty well.

Maybe those folks making vinyls for the Rivian wheels can take some measurements and start selling them. Off course they would need to get a hand on an R1S first................

@twraps

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
Hi all - curious for perspectives. I'm supposed to get my R1S any time (still haven't gotten 8 steps despite Aug/Sept window). In the meantime I've reached out to a couple of places locally in Chicago about chrome delete. I've never done chrome delete or any real auto detailing before but in this case I dislike the chrome look enough that I'm planning to do it as soon as I get my SUV. So... question: I reached out to 2 places - the first quoted me $300 and 3 hours of work. The second quoted me $800 and said they would need 2-3 days. Obviously I want a quality job but the difference surprised me not just $ but time. It doesn't feel like a lot of work to me but maybe someone out there can direct me a bit...
I chrome deleted my 2022 Rav4 Prime myself and would say $300 is much more accurate for the work to be done(Chrome delete the window trim). If your including the chrome piece on the back of the bumper as well then around $500-$600 is more accurate and think it should be done in a day.

DailyVacuum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
$300 is more in line with what you should expect to pay. Chrome deleting these trims is pretty standard for all vehicles, the shop quoting you $2500 either wasn't clear on what the job was or is trying to rip you off.

twraps

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twraps.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Model S, Model 3
Clubs

I will do it as soon as I get my hands on a R1S 👍
Sponsored