Sponsored

R1S / R1T aftermarket bumpers

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Why? I can get 70+ MPGe 99% of the time, dramatically lower environmental impact for the class, enjoy a much better vehicle (ride quality, features, storage, performance, technology) than the competition, and have the option of a fossil fuel top-off in the edge case where I need it.

Why should I compromise the things I care about day to day to optimize for the extreme edge case, if I can cover the extreme edge case with a modular solution that doesn't impact my day to day at all?
I do get your point. That said, this is almost an argument for Rav4 Prime. Even though you are carrying an ICE engine and the fixings most of the time without using it, it still weighs a lot less than Rivian in which you carry battery capacity and weight you don't use most of the time. Are we really buying a Rivian because it is the most sensible choice? or for that 1% of the time we do the 0-60? or go off road? Who are we kidding, Rivian is a 1% vehicle. We would be driving a Bolt or a Rav4 prime if we were 99% people.
Sponsored

cmiller

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Bronco
Occupation
Nurse
I wouldn't bet on seeing anything like that anytime soon. The new bronco is far more popular than rivian and aftermarket stuff was slow to come to market and even now there is isn't a crazy amount of stuff out there. Most companies will not waste money making something for rivian when there won't be enough on the road to make a profit for many years most likely.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I do get your point. That said, this is almost an argument for Rav4 Prime. Even though you are carrying an ICE engine and the fixings most of the time without using it, it still weighs a lot less than Rivian in which you carry battery capacity and weight you don't use most of the time. Are we really buying a Rivian because it is the most sensible choice? or for that 1% of the time we do the 0-60? or go off road? Who are we kidding, Rivian is a 1% vehicle. We would be driving a Bolt or a Rav4 prime if we were 99% people.
It's definitely hard to make the case that the Rivian is the most sensible purchase. But I am specifically buying it because I need a second vehicle; my Model Y has (and will continue to) serve us well as a 90% vehicle, but we frequently need two vehicles and it doesn't make sense to get a second that overlaps the 90%, but is an equally poor fit for the 10% I'm passionate about, specifically in the camping/hauling/overland realm.

I "need" (for "hobbies" values of "need") a high-clearance vehicle with decent range, the ability to haul bikes and motorcycles fairly regularly, and the ability to tow a travel trailer. I will use some combination of those features multiple times a month, so renting isn't a reasonable choice. I will also commute in this vehicle and so I care about efficiency and comfort. And I will use it for occasional more specialized activities like overlanding/offroading, extended boondocking (summer and in ski season), hauling, etc. And on top of all of that, I'm passionate about electrification and a total sucker for gadgets.

Is the Rivian the most sensible choice? I guess it depends. I could check a lot of those boxes with a used Tacoma, but I'd be a lot less happy with that as a daily driver.

Anyway, this is all a bit of a tangent to say: I think there are reasonable scenarios for which a generator is an OK solution, specifically for infrequent boondocking (my scenario is "camp for a long weekend at a remote ski hill that doesn't have outlets and is far from charging infrastructure; an afternoon or two with a generator takes it from "super sketchy or even impossible" to "comfortably within limits and with electric heat for the tent, to boot.") It's really not that different from plugging a generator into a Sprinter or trailer in that regard. But yeah, if you're thinking you should just always carry a generator as a range extender, I agree that you're probably kidding yourself and an ICE may be a better fit.

Reactions: Max

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I would worry about crash performance and airbag deployment with heavy bumper modifications.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
It's definitely hard to make the case that the Rivian is the most sensible purchase. But I am specifically buying it because I need a second vehicle; my Model Y has (and will continue to) serve us well as a 90% vehicle, but we frequently need two vehicles and it doesn't make sense to get a second that overlaps the 90%, but is an equally poor fit for the 10% I'm passionate about, specifically in the camping/hauling/overland realm.

I "need" (for "hobbies" values of "need") a high-clearance vehicle with decent range, the ability to haul bikes and motorcycles fairly regularly, and the ability to tow a travel trailer. I will use some combination of those features multiple times a month, so renting isn't a reasonable choice. I will also commute in this vehicle and so I care about efficiency and comfort. And I will use it for occasional more specialized activities like overlanding/offroading, extended boondocking (summer and in ski season), hauling, etc. And on top of all of that, I'm passionate about electrification and a total sucker for gadgets.

Is the Rivian the most sensible choice? I guess it depends. I could check a lot of those boxes with a used Tacoma, but I'd be a lot less happy with that as a daily driver.

Anyway, this is all a bit of a tangent to say: I think there are reasonable scenarios for which a generator is an OK solution, specifically for infrequent boondocking (my scenario is "camp for a long weekend at a remote ski hill that doesn't have outlets and is far from charging infrastructure; an afternoon or two with a generator takes it from "super sketchy or even impossible" to "comfortably within limits and with electric heat for the tent, to boot.") It's really not that different from plugging a generator into a Sprinter or trailer in that regard. But yeah, if you're thinking you should just always carry a generator as a range extender, I agree that you're probably kidding yourself and an ICE may be a better fit.
Most of what I say is arguments I have with myself and I am hoping others give me a new perspective that help me make the best decision for me. I am trying to maximize the checked boxes for me too. Being happy with your choice is important. This exchange certainly helps.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
That would be a No. This doesn't even pretend to explain how you are going to lift everything and just throws some regular axles and diffs under the body. It looks ridiculous.

What's the use case for this vehicle? You've added a bunch of weight and massive tires to reduce the range as much as possible?

It looks really cool in the Grocery store parking lot!!

I kid I kid.

I in fact love this about car culture. You wanna build a monstrosity for you personal use case. COOL!

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I want to know who will be the first to run their Rivian through the Rubicon Trail... you know someone is going to do it eventually.

I have no doubt that we will see aftermarket sliders, bumpers, bed racks and all the overlanding stuff bolted on to a Rivian. I have a dedicated wheeler, so the Rivian won't see a lot of dirt, but I might tinker with fabricating a few things for it.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
My initial - like 2 second impression - was, yeah I could want ARB bar. Then the images themselves...not to my taste. I suspect that something will emerge for these vehicles but I hope it's going to be thoughtful and take into account the all of the comments above. There is likely _something_ there...but I don't think these initial renderings are appropriate.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
*ignoring the outrageous graphics*

The thought of a brush guard, a push bumber, a front mounted winch, etc.. has probably crossed many a mind. We'll see them sooner or later like we do with everything. I mean if they make them for a G-wagon, they will get to Rivian sooner or later.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

How do you open the frunk? 🤔
Especially the green one since it looks like the frunk lid is carrying the weight of an entire spare.

grass man

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '21 Model Y Performance, '23 Bolt 2LT
Occupation
Professional Counselor
Clubs

Would anyone consider anything like this soon?

Screenshot_20220502-071848_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220502-071909_Chrome.jpg
Consider for purchase ? No, unfortunately. But, I would love to see something like these at a show for a next level exercise in design and integration.
Sponsored