Sponsored

R1S / R1T aftermarket bumpers

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

They're certainly cool concepts (minus the presence of diffs), but make no practical sense. The Rivian off road bumper with integrated winch is coming eventually, and there's already tow hooks available. A brush guard and big steel bumper may afford an R1 with some additional benefits but the weight and aero drag would certainly be a detriment that would likely outweigh the benefits along with the cost. Roof rack, sure. Full size spare in a frunk cutout? lol nah. Water intrusion, drag, corrosion over time.... hard pass. Let's not get started on what kind of reverse engineering and retrofitting would be required to allow a suspension lift for tires that large. Things like the driveshafts from the motors would all need to be custom and account for the increased angle from the ride height. Almost the entire drivetrain would need to be modified and re-engineered on top of the suspension, don't think it would accept air struts anymore. I realize I'm going on a massive tangent but I can't help but think of all these things when I see these renderings again and again. It's not impossible, but I can't imagine the cost of getting anywhere close to this concept being anything less than a fully loaded post-price hike R1. I fully expect the off-road aftermarket to offer some really cool products for these vehicles, but I would caution everyone to keep their expectations very far from what these concept renderings show. 4Runners, Land Cruisers, Broncos and Defenders will continue to be the primary vehicle platforms for serious overlanding SUV builds like this.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Please ignore the differentials!!!
I can’t. It’s like bad spelling on a drawing or technical document. If that’s wrong then what else was ignored?

What is the brush guard protecting? There Is no radiator in that location to save. The headlights are polycarbonate. Why did it sprout 6 lug hubs?

Why is the bumper shaped like there’s an engine to protect?
that spare wheel sticking through the hood…

:headbang:

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Love all the gas tanks on top. I can see bringing extra battery packs to compensate for the range loss due to tires, bumpers and the rack.

Edit: I do see your overall point. This is competing with Jeep, Bronco and 4runner. You can't have a fun mobile without mods. It is just that EV mods may have to have the world of it's own.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

I can’t. It’s like bad spelling on a drawing or technical document. If that’s wrong then what else was ignored?

What is the brush guard protecting? There Is no radiator in that location to save. The headlights are polycarbonate. Why did it sprout 6 lug hubs?

Why is the bumper shaped like there’s an engine to protect?
that spare wheel sticking through the hood…

:headbang:
Agreed with all of your points besides your statement about no radiator being present behind the bumper. There is an AC condenser, which is essentially a radiator, and an actual radiator for the battery coolant loop in that front stack as well.

Puller fan behind the cooling stack in pic below with frunk liner removed:
Rivian R1T R1S R1S / R1T aftermarket bumpers img_1083-

Will it require additional protection when off-roading? No. But it's there.

Last edited:

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
All the forward sensors and some cameras would be comprised so Driver+ and related safety features along with airbag sensors would require some re-engineering to function properly. Cool looking though.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Agreed with all of your points besides your statement about no radiator being present behind the bumper. There is an AC condenser, which is essentially a radiator, and an actual radiator for the battery coolant loop in that front stack as well.

Puller fan behind the cooling stack in pic below with frunk liner removed:
img_1083-jpg.jpg

Will it require additional protection when off-roading? No. But it's there.
The heat exchanger(s?) are angled and pretty far back. Which is what I meant by “there is no radiator in that location“. Potato, potato. 😬

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Would anyone consider anything like this soon?

Screenshot_20220502-071848_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220502-071909_Chrome.jpg
That would be a No. This doesn't even pretend to explain how you are going to lift everything and just throws some regular axles and diffs under the body. It looks ridiculous.

What's the use case for this vehicle? You've added a bunch of weight and massive tires to reduce the range as much as possible?

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Love all the gas tanks on top. I can see bringing extra battery packs to compensate for the range loss due to tires, bumpers and the rack.
There are a thousand bad ideas in this render but I actually don't think fuel tanks are the worst one (even if those are probably intended to be water tanks).

Batteries are awesome but offer extremely poor energy density compared to gas. If you're truly headed off grid and need more than you can reliably get from the drive pack and charging infrastructure, you're better off bringing gasoline or diesel and a generator than batteries. A few gallons of gas and a generator will be lighter, more versatile, provide more energy, and are refillable. It's certainly not ideal but would enable remote boondocking far from chargers as long as you're not in a hurry, and still nets out to comparable efficiency to an ICE truck when charging off the generator.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
There are a thousand bad ideas in this render but I actually don't think fuel tanks are the worst one (even if those are probably intended to be water tanks).

Batteries are awesome but offer extremely poor energy density compared to gas. If you're truly headed off grid and need more than you can reliably get from the drive pack and charging infrastructure, you're better off bringing gasoline or diesel and a generator than batteries. A few gallons of gas and a generator will be lighter, more versatile, provide more energy, and are refillable. It's certainly not ideal but would enable remote boondocking far from chargers as long as you're not in a hurry, and still nets out to comparable efficiency to an ICE truck when charging off the generator.
If you are bringing an ICE with you, you may as well have it under the hood.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
If you are bringing an ICE with you, you may as well have it under the hood.
Why? I can get 70+ MPGe 99% of the time, dramatically lower environmental impact for the class, enjoy a much better vehicle (ride quality, features, storage, performance, technology) than the competition, and have the option of a fossil fuel top-off in the edge case where I need it.

Why should I compromise the things I care about day to day to optimize for the extreme edge case, if I can cover the extreme edge case with a modular solution that doesn't impact my day to day at all?

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
Yes like the sensors and cameras that will be used for Driver+?
Sponsored