Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

A full size spare is really nice. Here is a solution that can have many uses

https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-multi-fit-spare-tire-hitch-carrier
Unless you need your tow hitch, this is EXACTLY what I would do. There are several options for hitch mounted tire mounts.

Another option is to deflate it so you can compress it a bit to fit inside the space under the floor. Iā€™m sure there are a few other redneck engineering options.
Sponsored

Placer Paul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5 and Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired police officer and attorney
Clubs

So I decided to purchase a full size spare tire/wheel for my R1S.

Did you guys know the spare tire compartment in the R1S is too small for the full size spare? I was not aware of this - until yesterday.

Any thoughts on what I should do with it?
This has been widely known and discuss on this and other forums for the past 2+ years I've been involved. But not so much recently, so I can understand you not having known this.

We bought the donut spare and that's what's in our spare tire compartment. Am I crazy about this? No. But it's not unheard of in the automobile industry and I can live with and still enjoy our R1S.

Note that there are tow hitch, swing arm, mounts you can purchase after market and upon which you can mount a full size spare. Some number of folks have opted for that, particularly it seems among our off road compatriots.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Good points! I have had two flats within a few weeks of getting my Rivian. One was so bad I had to replace the tyre. I got the DT warranty and put in an order for the collapsible spare. I bet now, I will never get another flat! Rivian is sending someone to "install" the spare. Do you know what that entails? Cheers.
It sounds like your luck with flats is similar to mine. šŸ˜• The only time I got through a set of tires without a puncture was on a car with run-flats where it wouldnā€™t have been as much inconvenience.

The spare tire well does hold a full size wheel vertically with the 3rd row up. This is how I had it setup for a long road trip. With a giant black towel over the top you couldnā€™t see it with everything closed up. It was no higher that the third row seat backs so no impact on visibility.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S Spare Tire: I am a fool... bought full size spare tire 1714949615313-4b

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
It sounds like your luck with flats is similar to mine. šŸ˜• The only time I got through a set of tires without a puncture was on a car with run-flats where it wouldnā€™t have been as much inconvenience.

The spare tire well does hold a full size wheel vertically with the 3rd row up. This is how I had it setup for a long road trip. With a giant black towel over the top you couldnā€™t see it with everything closed up. It was no higher that the third row seat backs so no impact on visibility.
1714949615313-4b.jpg
Brilliant!

Tango001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper

Chas60422

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru outback
Occupation
Healthcare
Anybody know if a hitch tire mount like this will disable driver+ if you donā€™t plug a light into the hitch power? Iā€™m thinking of getting one so I can have a full size spare for some long summer road trips but losing driver+ would be a deal breaker.
You can switch on rear accessory in the tow app. Driver + and ACC will still work. However, if you plug something into 7pin plug it will turn off driver + and cruise control will be basic. So you can get this hitch mount and still use driver+ and acc

Tango001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You can switch on rear accessory in the tow app. Driver + and ACC will still work. However, if you plug something into 7pin plug it will turn off driver + and cruise control will be basic. So you can get this hitch mount and still use driver+ and acc
Awesome, thanks!
Sponsored