Sponsored

R1T antenna fin removal - is it possible?

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I wish that Rivian had located the antenna fin on the front of the roof, rather then the back. As it is, it is right in the way of mounting anything that might extend over the roof. This forces things, like an RTT or any rack, to be raised an additional 4+ inches above the roof, to clear the fin - not good for aerodynamics. I saw an R1T YouTube video a while back and it sure looked like the truck in the video was missing that fin. Wish I could find that video, again. Anyway, I’m just curious if removing or somehow minimizing that darn fin is possible. Anybody done this?
Sponsored

Osyras

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not an EV
Clubs

My roof racks are off right now, but I am fairly certain they do clear it.

GoBlueR1T

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Toyota Sienna AWD Hybrid
I'm also a bit annoyed with the fin...I've tried a couple of roof boxes and both bump into the fin. Haven't seen anyone move it, though. I'm glad that this is my biggest annoyance with the truck so far!

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
My roof racks are off right now, but I am fairly certain they do clear it.
I don’t want to have to clear the fin. I would like to reduce or eliminate the fin. Whatever is clearing the fin, in my case an RTT, ends up way up above the roof creating added wind resistance. And, IMHO, it just looks kinda goofy when stuff is mounted so high above the roofline.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I would like to be an able to slide my RTT forward about 8”-10” or so, but the fin is in the way. I knew I would have fin interference with the rack I have, but feel it is more important to keep the tent as low as possible. I do not want the RTT sticking way up in the air or have a rack doing the same, when the tent is not mounted.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T antenna fin removal - is it possible? IMG_0109

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The folks over at Go Fast seem to have some clever solution to allow their camper to sit closer to the roof but they are tight lipped about it so far.

Otherwise I have just heard musings and complaints from folks like me that can't use D+ because we have things mounted over the antennae.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

The folks over at Go Fast seem to have some clever solution to allow their camper to sit closer to the roof but they are tight lipped about it so far.

Otherwise I have just heard musings and complaints from folks like me that can't use D+ because we have things mounted over the antennae.
They said something about a port or something that it slips into. Still going to disable Driver+ I'm sure.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”

Hmmm. I’d be very interested to see what the Go Fast solution is or if it is. That’s interesting about D+, although I don’t have much use for it. That darn fin should have been located at the front of the roof, so that it would be out of the way

Osyras

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
not an EV
Clubs

I don’t want to have to clear the fin. I would like to reduce or eliminate the fin. Whatever is clearing the fin, in my case an RTT, ends up way up above the roof creating added wind resistance. And, IMHO, it just looks kinda goofy when stuff is mounted so high above the roofline.
Ah, I have the S so not the same issue.

SJaYx2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma

I wonder if the metal interferes with it. My tent has no metal and have full use of D+.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Here’s a pic of the GoFast camper. As you can see, the fin is still there, but the camper does seem to sit below the top of the top of the fin by a wee bit. It must have a cavity for the fin to nest into.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T antenna fin removal - is it possible? IMG_1503

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I wonder if the metal interferes with it. My tent has no metal and have full use of D+.
Top and bottom of mine are fiberglass honeycomb and aluminum around the side. I have noticed a difference when the mattress isn't there.
Sponsored