Sponsored

R1T Demo Vehicle with VIN in the 200's — should I be afraid?

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I have pre-March pricing, but have been a stickler for wanting the automatic tonneau. Surprisingly to me the pre-March pricing is still alive. Also I had it set for Max Pack, so I could get a Max Performance Dual for:

Adventure: $70,000
Performance Dual: $2500
Max: $7000

The thing is, we're trying to be careful about money, so less expensive is better.

I found a Launch Edition in the Demo shop with 5,000 miles for $67,500. It has all the Launch Edition things, like free all-terrain wheels, a powered tonneau, underbody shield, and presumably Meridian sound and a power port under the front dash and in the frunk.

However, its VIN is in the 200's. Like 0002xx

I've been following this forum for 4 years, so I know that some early Rivians had Tock issues, 12V issues, Tonneau issues, some alignment issues, loose bolts, etc.

Do you think I should be hesitant about a 200's VIN? What questions should I ask the representative who calls me? Any photos I should especially request? Think they share a list of maintenance done in this time?

Thanks for your suggestions!
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
That's likely a 2021 build vehicle if it's indeed a 0002xx VIN.

Ask them for the full VIN and run it through the Rivian VIN decoder below. Or, better yet, why beat around the bush.. they know where that vehicle is sitting.. ask for a photo of the VIN sticker on the door pillar that shows the actual build month/year.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T Demo Vehicle with VIN in the 200's — should I be afraid? 1709913565592

OP
OP
Rivian_Hugh_III

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
That's likely a 2021 build vehicle if it's indeed a 0002xx VIN.

Ask them for the full VIN and run it through the Rivian VIN decoder below. Or, better yet, why beat around the bush.. they know where that vehicle is sitting.. ask for a photo of the VIN sticker on the door pillar that shows the actual build month/year.

1709913565592.png
Thanks, I got the vin and it checks out: 2022 Launch Edition

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I wouldn't worry too much about it if it comes with a full warranty AND you have a Rivian Service Center within a reachable radius.

I should note, I do not have a R1 but I did pick up an early build Model S Plaid (Sept 2021, never bothered trying to figure out how early it was by VIN) which has some misaligned trim but otherwise has been stellar over the last year. Got an extended Tesla warranty in the deal, since it was purchased used from Tesla, which ended up being very close to a new car warranty since the car was 18 months old when I bought it (28k miles) and got an extra 12 month extended warranty.

Yes, a Tesla is not a Rivian. But early Model S Plaids were a substantial refresh. You've got a 2022, not a 2021, so I'd feel comfortable with that.

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
As you might expect, my opinion is that you should wait until after April. There's no doubt that, one way or another, there will still be current R1T's in the shop. With that said, whether they are Launch Editions is another question.

Sponsored

DeanB1452

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T LE/LG/BM
Occupation
IT Administrator
Clubs

Do it! I bought my ‘22 R1T (built 12/21) vin 00004x from the original owner last May with 21K miles on it and been adventuring these past 10 months. Everything is still under warranty. Had a cable harness come loose and short out against the tire in July. It put it in turtle mode but thankfully I was only 3 miles from the SC at the time and crawled my way there. Power tonneau was still working but SC called in December to schedule the replacement this past January. If your looking for the added 12v ports and Meridian sound system, go ahead and pull the trigger.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
My theory on these demo vehicles (or perhaps my own wishful thinking, since I did just commit to a pre-munro R1T (VIN #10,264), is that they would have likely had a lot of service-center love (more than most/any customer vehicles. Especially if they were used for first drive events or test drives to prospective buyers, since they would want to sort out any manufacturing sloppiness or mechanical issues that could be sorted, and likely were either at or very near service centers their whole working life so far, and have likely never had to wait to get worked on by SC mechanics.

Not to hijack thread, but I have a similar "should I find a way to wait until after the April retooling? or pull the trigger on a demo truck now" decision I'm facing.

I have been in the market for an R1S while going through a painfully slow negotiation with Hyundai on an Ioniq 5 buyback (a whole long—tedious—story in and of itself). I was close to purchasing one from the shop about a month ago, then went on a search for a unicorn used green (either forest or launch) + Forest Edge + Dark 20" R1S (didn't find anything with reinforced underbody) since new R1S quad motor price is just a bit higher than I can justify right now, especially with interest rates being what they are and Rivian offering little to no help there.

I had a $1000 refundable deposit on a shop build that came and went as I waited, and then I decided to wait a little longer until the R2 release before pulling any trigger. The night before the event, I saw the demo shop thread and put a $0 reserve hold on an R1T (all 4 of the R1S were already sold out when I discovered the page). The spec is basically exactly what I want (minus underbody shield)—Forest Green + Forest Edge + 20" Darks + powered tonneau: https://demovehicles.rivian.com/pro...9896-miles-66307?_pos=16&_fid=d7a27f4db&_ss=c

I'm torn because what's motivating this is that I will need a vehicle in about 4 weeks when my Ioniq 5 is picked up. I would prefer an R1S to an R1T, but either will work for my needs (I just don't need a bed often, and have access to a diesel work truck with an 8' bed when I do need one). The shorter wheelbase and added secure/waterproof/climate-controlled (aka, interior) space of an SUV form factor is more useful and appealing to me. The R1T demo truck I reserved at least takes a big chunk of the initial depreciation off the top, and because it's a business purchase we will get the $7500 tax break off the ~$72k delivered price (plus another $2500 state incentive) since it's an untitled/unregistered vehicle (I confirmed this with Rivian and our accountant). I am almost thinking it's worth getting this truck as a stop-gap to then trade for R2 or a refreshed R1S, or maybe a used one in the future since pricing for a new R1S is so hard to justify.

Does anyone have an opinion on how hard an impact such a refresh could have on trade-in/used pre-refresh R1? Am I crazy to be buying an R1T for a net of $60k with 10k miles right at the brink of a refresh? We have a 10-year-old beater leaf I could be driving to and from work that I could live with for the next two months, but it's definitely not ideal.
Sponsored