Sponsored

GEAR TUNNEL & PETS -- SAFE? Why or why not??

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Not a dog owner, but had plenty of cats. They go in a carrier (just gotta cover their eyes when you pick them up to put them in the carrier) and the carrier gets belted in, and I often secure it with an extra strap on top of that, since belts don't often cover the carriers well. I also usually stuff a blanket or two in for them to nest into, which also serves as additional padding if I brake too hard and they weren't braced for it.

That, to me, is the absolute safest way to transport an animal. The carrier itself acts as a shield to protect them from other objects in the cab flying about, and provides a relatively flat surface for them to impact against in the event of disaster. It keeps them and their crate from flying around the cabin.

I would never transport my cats in the gear tunnel. As others have said, it's clearly not intended for that purpose, and ultimately puts my pet farther from me and makes it harder for me to monitor their safety and comfort. It's also likely a more traumatic experience for them as they have less visibility/access to you, and the characteristics of the ride are likely to be different. More noise? Heat/cold? More jarring due to location in the vehicle and lack of any sort of padding underneath to dampen vibration and other bumps.

You do you, but in my opinion people that put their animals in the bed or a trunk or on a trailer are abusing their animals, and I think I'd feel the same about using the gear tunnel for animal transport as well.
Sponsored

Electrified

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, BMW 530e, Rivian R1T on order!
Probably not a good idea to put a pet in the gear tunnel as there are emergency releases they could easily bump into, you don't want a doggo jumping out while you're on the highway!

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I don’t even know how this thread hasn't been flagged!!

Sponsored

Theprezodent

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Are you serious? This stuff is why every trunk has a release inside of it.

The number 1 thing is the tunnel is not crashed tested for human (or animal) life and could very well be a crumble zone. That alone should tell you enough.

Plus it doesn't get circulation/climate as it's not part of the cabin AND IT'S LITERALLY CALLED A GEAR TUNNEL.
Just so you know the gear tunnel is absolutely heated and cooled. Not quite sure how, but they ran air back there. I noticed this summer when it was 106 degrees in Texas and after a 1 hr drive I opened the gear tunnel, and it was nice and cool.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
Probably not a good idea to put a pet in the gear tunnel as there are emergency releases they could easily bump into, you don't want a doggo jumping out while you're on the highway!
I believe the emergency releases only work when the vehicle is in Park and not moving

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I get all the arguments for pet safety. Personally, I always belt my dog in. But, at the same time, driving down the road, I constantly see pets sticking their heads out the window, running from side to side in the back seat or rear area of an SUV.

Right or wrong, fact is, probably 70%+ do not strap their pets in when travelling. Some will put them in a crate, but not secure the crate. Some put a barrier between the rear area of an SUV to keep them from jumping over the seats into the passenger area, but are still free to roam in the cargo area. Bottom line is, the majority of people travel this way with their pets.

So, from that standpoint, if you're someone that just throws your dog in the car and lets them roam around the back seat or cargo area of an SUV, then for JUST THOSE PEOPLE, I would say the cargo area is likely the safer option. An animal that gets launch from the rear of a vehicle to the front stands to suffer more injuries by picking up speed. The gear tunnel is a for confined space. At least in a frontal or rear impact, the animal would have far to travel to reach the gear tunnel wall. Probably no different than being in a crate that's secured to the floor or seat inside a car.

Crates are an acceptable way to transport animals. As mentioned, that's how all pets are transported when flying. Are the crates tied down in an aircraft? Do we even know that answer?

To be the safest, pets should be strapped in just like humans with seatbelts. But, considering that MOST do not do that, I would have to say I don't see the gear tunnel as being any less safe than the back seat or rear cargo area of an SUV. It's probably safer then either of those. No windows to go flying out of if they get shattered.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I get the temptation but please no one do this. There is a safety release in the gear tunnel and your pet could accidentally open the door and something terrible could happen. Even if I have my dogs in the back seat of my truck I use the child door locks and lock the window controls just to be safe.

Also, whatever space your pet travels in: crate, seat, whatever, they should have enough space to turn around, lie down comfortably and stand up completely.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
It's always interesting when this type of question comes up and everyone pulls the safety card...Yet, I see plenty of drivers (any probably many here) playing on their phone while driving 70+.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It's always interesting when this type of question comes up and everyone pulls the safety card...Yet, I see plenty of drivers (any probably many here) playing on their phone while driving 70+.
Ok…so both things are unsafe? Are we making a list?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Playing on your phone going 70+ is ridiculous.

The real ones hack their main screen and hook up a PS4 to it for long drives.

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Playing on your phone going 70+ is ridiculous.

The real ones hack their main screen and hook up a PS4 to it for long drives.
Some guy was weaving all over today on the way home, trying to text. Did the bobble head thing.

monzarottie

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, MB Sprinter 4x4, R2 Reservation
Occupation
Retired
After watching videos from "Ted Actually Talks" when he's driving with his dog in the gear tunnel, I got to thinking about putting pets in the tunnel and whether or not it's a good idea. What do you think??

I'm trying to think of why it WOULDN'T be a good idea, as long as they have access to fresh air through the sliding cabin-to-gear-tunnel door. It is certainly safer than putting them in the truck bed and probably even safer than them being loose in the cabin. Even a finder bender or sudden stop can send a pet flying. I don't have a dog now, but have a cat that I may need to take with me once I get my R1T. I'm thinking about making some kind of screen insert for the cabin-to-gear-tunnel door to allow air flow while traveling, but keeping my cat confined to the tunnel. Cats often want to hide when traveling and prefer to be in a confined space. Might not be the "preferred" way to travel for a dog that loves to stick its head out the window, but probably actually safer for both you and your pet. The gear tunnel may be the safest place to be in an accident, since it's right in the middle of the vehicle. No exhaust fumes to worry about either. Hummm...l don't see a lot of difference between the gear tunnel and a crate. Tell me how I'm wrong and why.

PupInGearTunnel.jpg

Containing a pet in the event of an accident is critical. The best option is to use an Impact, TransK9, or other similarly safety-rated crate.

https://www.impactdogcrates.com/collections/crates

https://www.transk9usa.com/allboxes