Sponsored

R1T repurchase and replacement - what to expect?

MailmanOdd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I received my R1T something like 14 months ago. Long story short, it has gone on for service nearly 60 total days, has been damaged multiple times at the service center, and still has ongoing issues.

I reached out to Rivian a month ago requesting they repurchase and replace or I would go through lemon law arbitration. It took 4 weeks but they agreed to do this. They requested documentation on my loan and agreed to refund me for my tinting and ceramic coat.

This is where it gets confusing. I can’t get an answer for what happens next. They mentioned it was going to be treated as a trade in, and they will payoff my loan. I have to get a new loan and rates are significantly worse than when I got mine. Also, there are literally zero Rivian Blue quad motors available.

I feel that I should be made whole (vehicle replaced, equivalent loan terms or financial compensation). Is this unreasonable? Additionally due to the incredible pain in the ass this has been, I’m asking them to include the Power Tonneau (removed from my current vehicle right before production due to the previous issues) and AT wheel, as well as refund me for my manual tonneau cover and take it back as a return.

Anyone else been through this process? My vehicle is still having issues (it’s drivable, significant HVAC issues) but I don’t want to rush and downgrade to a performance dual just so I can get it faster.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I received my R1T something like 14 months ago. Long story short, it has gone on for service nearly 60 total days, has been damaged multiple times at the service center, and still has ongoing issues.

I reached out to Rivian a month ago requesting they repurchase and replace or I would go through lemon law arbitration. It took 4 weeks but they agreed to do this. They requested documentation on my loan and agreed to refund me for my tinting and ceramic coat.

This is where it gets confusing. I can’t get an answer for what happens next. They mentioned it was going to be treated as a trade in, and they will payoff my loan. I have to get a new loan and rates are significantly worse than when I got mine. Also, there are literally zero Rivian Blue quad motors available.

I feel that I should be made whole (vehicle replaced, equivalent loan terms or financial compensation). Is this unreasonable? Additionally due to the incredible pain in the ass this has been, I’m asking them to include the Power Tonneau (removed from my current vehicle right before production due to the previous issues) and AT wheel, as well as refund me for my manual tonneau cover and take it back as a return.

Anyone else been through this process? My vehicle is still having issues (it’s drivable, significant HVAC issues) but I don’t want to rush and downgrade to a performance dual just so I can get it faster.
It's interesting that they agreed, since the Lemon Law doesn't apply to you or your purchase here...

OP
OP

MailmanOdd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why would you say it doesn’t apply here? It absolutely does in my state.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Why would you say it doesn’t apply here? It absolutely does in my state.
Because it doesn't (I'm from your state as well)...

From the Lemon Law brochure:
Rivian R1T R1S R1T repurchase and replacement - what to expect? Screenshot_20240424_204734_Edge

From the Attorney General:
Which Vehicles Are Eligible?
The Lemon Law covers most classes of new motor vehicles including “demonstrators” originally purchased or leased at retail in Washington.

From the RCW:
(12) "New motor vehicle" means any new self-propelled vehicle, including a new motorcycle, primarily designed for the transportation of persons or property over the public highways that was originally purchased or leased at retail from a new motor vehicle dealer or leasing company in this state

Your purchase, and mine, legally took place in Illinois since Rivian can't legally sell in WA.

OP
OP

MailmanOdd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Screenshot_20240424_204734_Edge.jpg

The Lemon Law covers most classes of new motor vehicles including “demonstrators” originally purchased or leased at retail in Washington.

From the RCW:
(12) "New motor vehicle" means any new self-propelled vehicle, including a new motorcycle, primarily designed for the transportation of persons or property over the public highways that was originally purchased or leased at retail from a new motor vehicle dealer or leasing company in this state

Your purchase, and mine, legally took place in Illinois since Rivian can't legally sell in WA.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Even if ones state lemon law doesn't apply you can still try to recover under Magnuson moss (some refer to it as the federal lemon law).

Rivian should give you an offer for your existing vehicle. They are pretty tight lipped about the process. Once they agree to repurchase it has to go through a legal compliance review. Most manufacturers use a 3rd party to do this.

After all that and assuming you accept their offer they will put a reservation in the system for you.

As far as the loan not much they can do about that. You may be able to recover interest paid on the current loan but that's about it. Have you discussed the possibility of a VIN Adjustment/Collateral swap with your lender?

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
You could have used a loaner and waited for them to fix your issues.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

(vehicle replaced, equivalent loan terms or financial compensation)
They're surprisingly offering to replace, you just need to be patient for the vehicle to be available. You are choosing to replace, so you get to choose your replacement from what is available.

Rivian manufacturers, they do not finance. So yes, you're unreasonable asking them to subsidize your choice in getting a new loan.

Eastsiders... Am I right?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3

Screenshot_20240424_204734_Edge.jpg

From the RCW:

WA isn't the only state with a lemon law. If the purchase was in IL then you would fall under Illinois's lemon law.

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2341&ChapterID=67

Sponsored

OP
OP

MailmanOdd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
You could have used a loaner and waited for them to fix your issues.
I’ve used many loaners, and rentals. Vehicle has been in and out of service two months total and still unfortunately having issues.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I’ve used many loaners, and rentals. Vehicle has been in and out of service two months total and still unfortunately having issues.
I get that, but that's what you do to keep your original setup and loan.

OP
OP

MailmanOdd

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I get that, but that's what you do to keep your original setup and loan.
Oh, got you. Yeah it’s much more important to me to have a working vehicle. Again, I’ve never been through this before so was just trying to get an idea of what a manufacturer (specifically Rivian) would do.

Everyone I’ve spoken to at Rivian has been very helpful, just light in details.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Oh, got you. Yeah it’s much more important to me to have a working vehicle. Again, I’ve never been through this before so was just trying to get an idea of what a manufacturer (specifically Rivian) would do.

Everyone I’ve spoken to at Rivian has been very helpful, just light in details.
I've been lucky with my loaners, so for as long as I kept getting good ones, I'd feel comfortable making them honor their warranty if I was going to stick with the company. If decided on buying a different vehicle from a different company, you end up in the same position you're in now (new vehicle and loan anyway).

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Might want to talk to a lemon law attorney. I knew of a CO worker who found one who specialized in one. The mfr had to pay legal fees and the attorney knew exactly what rights the customer had.
Sponsored