First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Motor Large Pack
Occupation
Composer, IT Service Desk Analyst
I Wanted to start journaling me and my wife's travels towing an inTech Sol Dawn with our new R1T ("Treebeard")!

We've had the trailer for a year, and did four camping trips with a Tesla Model Y, but are really excited to go on journeys with the Rivian.

The photos I have today are just from a jaunt to get some quick repairs done on the trailer, "Pathfinder" (after the original Mars rover).

Rivian R1T R1S R1T towing an inTech Sol Dawn 1000048269

Rivian R1T R1S R1T towing an inTech Sol Dawn 1000048268

The initial range and efficiency numbers (not really useful as it was all city street and 35 mph)

Rivian R1T R1S R1T towing an inTech Sol Dawn 1000048266

Our first two planned trips for the year are within a roughly 100 mile range of home, so pretty straightforward. However, we have an 800 - 1000 mile trip planned for September (to the Oregon Coast and back, about 11 days total).

I'll be doing an efficiency test when we get the trailer back from service, then the first trip in April! Be on the lookout for more posts and photos as we make our trips.

Happy to answer any questions about the trailer and our year of experience with it!
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Keep us posted, thatā€™s a really good looking setup. Iā€™ll be interested to see if the shape nets better efficiency than the box I tow. BTW we took our trailer from Portland, OR to Palm Springs, CA and back. Overall it was easy and we only had to unhook a few times to charge.

ElmTree

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I Wanted to start journaling me and my wife's travels towing an inTech Sol Dawn with our new R1T ("Treebeard")!

We've had the trailer for a year, and did four camping trips with a Tesla Model Y, but are really excited to go on journeys with the Rivian.

The photos I have today are just from a jaunt to get some quick repairs done on the trailer, "Pathfinder" (after the original Mars rover).

1000048269.jpg

1000048268.jpg

The initial range and efficiency numbers (not really useful as it was all city street and 35 mph)

1000048266.jpg

Our first two planned trips for the year are within a roughly 100 mile range of home, so pretty straightforward. However, we have an 800 - 1000 mile trip planned for September (to the Oregon Coast and back, about 11 days total).

I'll be doing an efficiency test when we get the trailer back from service, then the first trip in April! Be on the lookout for more posts and photos as we make our trips.

Happy to answer any questions about the trailer and our year of experience with it!

ElmTree

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have a Sol Dawn. If you Google YouTube for ā€œnow you knowā€ and ā€œRivianā€™s secret towing Rangeā€ you will find their data & some conclusions. They borrowed my camper and drove to Maine. My R1S arrived this Fall & I wonā€™t be towing my camper before late Spring. Biggest tip was take back roads & drive slow rather than spend hours charging. I am so much more excited with more charging stations coming in a few weeks! Waiting for Sirius XM also..

Sponsored

DRJ564

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Looking at the pics I wonder if the R1S would get better efficiency numbers? Hmmmm.
Yes, do share please.

OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Did it weigh your trailer accurately? 2,500 lbs?
It rounded down - dry weight of my trailer according to the registration is 2,734lbs. Just enough under to round down instead of up to 3,000lbs.

KJB

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
Occupation
Retired professor
Can I ask you about the brake gain? I started out with it on a 2, then driving, I noticed the trailer pushing the R1S, so I increased the gain to 5, but it doesnā€™t seem to work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Can I ask you about the brake gain? I started out with it on a 2, then driving, I noticed the trailer pushing the R1S, so I increased the gain to 5, but it doesnā€™t seem to work.
As I mentioned & showed in the original post, we've only towed this trailer with the truck for less than two miles, all on city streets at no more than 35 mph. I'll have to judge brake gain once I get it out on the freeway (and actually be driving, as my wife was in the driver's seat on this little run).

OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Just wrapped up a 120-ish mile test tow (60 miles each way), and the results are about what I expected, in a good way.

Rivian's trailer profile numbers (that "range at 100% number is off, in my opinion), which includes taking it to, and picking up from the RV service center a few weeks ago (all in-town, under 35mph driving).

Rivian R1T R1S R1T towing an inTech Sol Dawn 1000005367

Trip A was reset right as we got on the freeway. Set the cruise control at 60mph and never really had to adjust it)
Rivian R1T R1S R1T towing an inTech Sol Dawn 1000005368
Rivian R1T R1S R1T towing an inTech Sol Dawn 1000005369

We got home with about 23-24% battery left, without recharging at our turnaround point (aimed for an EA charger just in case) and stopped there for a snack.

Overall, I think that's pretty dang good, and better than we got in our Model Y with the same trailer - it would have been either right at 0%, or run out before.

We leave on our first camping trip for the year on Friday, just a quick 100 mile away campground for three nights. The route we're taking has a max speed of 55mph, so things should be even better.

Last edited:

EileenB

First Name
Eileen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla YLR, Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD
Occupation
Educator
Which R1T version do you have? Quad or duel? Are you charging at the campsite and have you had any issues with that? What hookup are you using? Thanks for the information.

OP
OP
VandalSibs

VandalSibs

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Which R1T version do you have? Quad or duel? Are you charging at the campsite and have you had any issues with that? What hookup are you using? Thanks for the information.
As shown in my signature, I'm using a base Dual Motor. And this was just a test drive, so we went back home. This weekend is the first camping trip of the year, so we'll be charging using the 14-50 outlet at the camp site (this particular state park has 30amp and 50amp outlets on separate circuits, which is quite nice).

EileenB

First Name
Eileen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla YLR, Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD
Occupation
Educator
That is nice! Sorry I missed the duel motor part. We have a Safari Condo F2114 we got the end of last summer and havenā€™t really been able to put it through its paces either. We have the R1S quad so your range could probably be significantly better than ours too. We havenā€™t charged at a campsite yet, this the questions.
Enjoy your trip!
Sponsored