First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sti, Tesla
Occupation
Secret
He predicts 90k for a maxed version.. might as well get the R1s…

Reactions: Rad
OP
OP
macb00kemdanno

macb00kemdanno

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+. 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
I just kinda laughed at that. I find $90k hard to imagine for this. But I’m happy to be wrong.

I was thinking of a $30k to $35k spread for R2 — and even that seems on the high side for a “mainstream” vehicle.

The Ioniq 5 is $41k to $67.6k for the Ioniq 5N performance model.

Model Y is $44k to $53k for the Performance

It may be wishful thinking, but I was hoping to get a dual motor long-range minimally optioned for $55k to $60k.

You don’t have a “Model 3 moment” by having significant price overlap with your flagship.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I think that's a ridiculous prediction honestly. I expect them to nest the top trim R2 right under the entry level R1 at around $75k.

I did think it was interesting that they let him get into the vehicle and interact with it though. It wa illustrative seeing him sitting in the back seat and the front seat. My biggest concern with the R2 design where they are trying to maximize ground clearance and aerodynamics is that the cabin will have a lot less headroom compared to the R1. I could see that could be an issue for people who are taller, but it'll hard to tell how much of an issue that is until I can actually sit in it.

OP
OP
macb00kemdanno

macb00kemdanno

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think that's a ridiculous prediction honestly. I expect them to nest the top trim R2 right under the entry level R1 at around $75k.

I did think it was interesting that they let him get into the vehicle and interact with it though. It wa illustrative seeing him sitting in the back seat and the front seat. My biggest concern with the R2 design where they are trying to maximize ground clearance and aerodynamics is that the cabin will have a lot less headroom compared to the R1. I could see that could be an issue for people who are taller, but it'll hard to tell how much of an issue that is until I can actually sit in it.
Well, Alex is one of the more prominent YouTube auto reviewers. He delivers his content in a down-to-earth and approachable manner to his audience, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd give him access that we regular peons wouldn't get.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Well, Alex is one of the more prominent YouTube auto reviewers. He delivers his content in a down-to-earth and approachable manner to his audience, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd give him access that we regular peons wouldn't get.
Well MKHB got a private look in Laguna before the reveal too and was able to sit in it, what was surprising to me is that Alex didn't really appear to have "special access" as there are random people milling about and looking at the R2 during his video. It made me wonder if they are not being as protective of this model in NY as they were in Austin.

OP
OP
macb00kemdanno

macb00kemdanno

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well MKHB got a private look in Laguna before the reveal too and was able to sit in it, what was surprising to me is that Alex didn't really appear to have "special access" as there are random people milling about and looking at the R2 during his video. It made me wonder if they are not being as protective of this model in NY as they were in Austin.
It's probably just a case of Alex being in town, he walks in, they realize who it is, and say, "have at it" -- just don't touch the charge port door :CWL:

Alex was in the area for the NY Auto Show, so the above seems likely.

Last edited:

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

This was a good video. Helpful to see the interior size with him sitting in it.

A few other interesting data points that the Rivian team shared yesterday during a walk around: you can fit a laptop in the glovebox (presumably the right one); finished product will have a rear wiper (current pre-production model does not); compact spare tire likely as an option; the folding driver seat may be an option, rather than standard.

Also, there is a button on the rear hatch that allows you to lower the rear window from the outside of the vehicle.

The preproduction model does not have visible sonar parking sensors. Not sure if the production model will include or skip those.

The rear hatch has an angle to it below the rear glass, and the Rivian lettering has a very cool 3D effect to it. This was very noticeable on the R3 during the launch event, but I didn’t realize it was so prominent on the R2, as well. It really looks great in person.

Lastly, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do something different with the exterior door handles before production. I noticed RJ having to use two hands at one point to open the door during the launch event. Every time someone opened the doors yesterday, they used two hands, too. It’s just not practical to expect people to do that all the time.

Rivian R1T R1S R2 hands-on video by Alex on Autos in NYC IMG_9581

VegasWeezy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Accountant
It really does seem ridiculous. Even if you picked every upgrade in motor, battery, color, wheels, interior and option it would be hard to get to $90k.

I just went to the website and configured an R1S... Performance Dual-Motor, Max battery pack, Rivian Blue color, 20" AT dark wheels, AT upgrade, Ocean Coast + Dark Ash, Front PPF, 3 person tent, all weather mats, off road recovery kit, field kit, cargo cross bars, rooftop bike mount, snowboard/ski mount, kayak mount, surfboard mount, wall charger, MAXTRAX recovery board mount, pet field kit, cargo cover, kuat piston SR bike mounts.... Every possible thing I could add and the estimated price was $117,975.

So, less than a $45k spread from the base $74,900. Makes me think the R2 would top out around $75-80k if you selected every possible upgrade/add-on.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

It's probably just a case of Alex being in town, he walks in, they realize who it is, and say, "have at it" -- just don't touch the charge port door :CWL:

Alex was in the area for the NY Auto Show, so the above seems likely.
I'm betting you are correct. I love Alex though. His reviews are informative, to the point and have zero fluff or inherent bias.

Sponsored

Mike_R2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Retired + part-time government
I really doubt it will get anywhere near 90k even fully fitted-out, because one of its main competitors, the very popular Kia EV9, tops out at about 77k, and that's despite it having a base price almost 10k higher than the R2.

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
The preproduction model does not have visible sonar parking sensors. Not sure if the production model will include or skip those.
This is what RJ presented:
Rivian R1T R1S R2 hands-on video by Alex on Autos in NYC 1711711870466-h7

Either way it looks that the rear is covered with whatever they are calling 'radar' in this case :)

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Definitely won’t be $90k as RJ said before the R2 would not overlap with R1 pricing. Sounds like two battery packs, I expect the upgraded battery pack to e around 20kWh (given then 60 mile range gain) to be $5k, going from RWD to AWD would be $5k. Tri motor is an unknown but $5-10k depending on spec changes seem reasonable. Glass roof and screens are standard. Not sure if Explore and Adventure models but could just differentiate on battery and motor configuration like R1 does.

Stevehaslip

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
This is what RJ presented:
1711711870466-h7.png

Either way it looks that the rear is covered with whatever they are calling 'radar' in this case :)
I was told by one of the folks in the NYC space that they very much expected the parking sensors to be on the lower bumper area as on the R1S. They were just left off to keep the pre-production model as clean as possible. But who knows.

They also told me that the door handles would present as on the R1S. I assumed it would have manual handles as a cost saving measure. I would take everything with a grain of salt at this point.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Definitely won’t be $90k as RJ said before the R2 would not overlap with R1 pricing. Sounds like two battery packs, I expect the upgraded battery pack to e around 20kWh (given then 60 mile range gain) to be $5k, going from RWD to AWD would be $5k. Tri motor is an unknown but $5-10k depending on spec changes seem reasonable. Glass roof and screens are standard. Not sure if Explore and Adventure models but could just differentiate on battery and motor configuration like R1 does.
Well, I would pay $90k for a 500 mile range R2 version. I know, that isn't planned as far as we know. But regardless, it would be worth it to me.
Sponsored