Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
From today's earnings announcement:

" We also announced that we will start R2 production in Normal which we expect to drive greater capital efficiency with over $2.25 billion of savings from plan, enable production to start in the first half of 2026, and reduce risk to launch the platform and associated ramp. We believe that the operating plan for our Normal factory at 215,000 units of annual production while executing against our cost efficiency roadmap will allow Rivian to generate positive free cash flow excluding growth capital investments in new production capacity and tooling. "

" Total expected Normal capacity following R2 launch and plant changes: 215,000 units of total annual capacity across R1T, R1S, EDV, RCV, and R2. This includes up to 155,000 units of R2."
Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

155k R2’s combined with 10k EDV’s implies they’ll retain capacity for about 50k R1’s.

That seems about right (and achievable) with the new battery options and likely ascent trim.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
155k R2’s combined with 10k EDV’s implies they’ll retain capacity for about 50k R1’s.

That seems about right (and achievable) with the new battery options and likely ascent trim.
They also said in the Q&A session that the numbers are flexible;

Emmanuel Rosner

Okay, that's helpful. And then just one follow up on the volume side. I think you made a comment in the prepared remarks that now that the shutdown is completed. You have 56,000 units of annual capacity for R1 on two shifts. Is this sort of like the right volume to think about now on a go-forward basis for Rivian all the way until R2 launches in the first half of 2026, so essentially a maximum of 56,000 units of R1 minus any shutdown impact that you may have, let's say, next year plus some level of growth in EVDs. But is that 56,000 essentially the max we'll see in terms of annual R1 capacity and then it's R2 that comes on top of it?

Claire Mcdonough

Yeah. Sure. So there's a couple of points I want to make. First, as we think about the longer term introduction of R2 in normal, we're building capacity towards 215,000 units in aggregate. And that can shift between our three vehicle lines where we'll have 85,000 units of maximum capacity for R1, 65,000 units of capacity for commercial vans and 155,000 units of capacity for R2. So within that matrix, we'll have the ability to flex volumes to stay within the balance of the 215,000 units of total maximum capacity. And so that could be achieved, for example, running two shifts on R1, full three shifts on R2 and a single shift on commercial vans. So there's flexibility as we think about the longer term volumes, but it is accurate as you noted that the R1 volumes will be 56,000 units based off of the two shift operation.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly

" We also announced that we will start R2 production in Normal which we expect to drive greater capital efficiency with over $2.25 billion of savings from plan, enable production to start in the first half of 2026, and reduce risk to launch the platform and associated ramp. We believe that the operating plan for our Normal factory at 215,000 units of annual production while executing against our cost efficiency roadmap will allow Rivian to generate positive free cash flow excluding growth capital investments in new production capacity and tooling. "

" Total expected Normal capacity following R2 launch and plant changes: 215,000 units of total annual capacity across R1T, R1S, EDV, RCV, and R2. This includes up to 155,000 units of R2."
That's a long way off. I hope they get them to market in 2025.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired

Thought deliveries were starting in 2025 - that didn’t last long, did it! 😒

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thought deliveries were starting in 2025 - that didn’t last long, did it! 😒
When did they say 2025? You are the second person to say that and I thought they announced first half 2026 at the launch event, it is also consistent with what has been on their website.

I know multiple people on here keep saying they 'need' to launch it in 2025 but that is just the typical "But I want it know" mentality.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
They can produce a maximum of 215K vehicles. Of that, they have additional limitations of:

85K max R1
65k max RDVs
155k max R2.

So if Rivian chooses to produce the max 155K R2, then they’ll have to split 60k between R1 and RDVs.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
When did they say 2025? You are the second person to say that and I thought they announced first half 2026 at the launch event, it is also consistent with what has been on their website.

I know multiple people on here keep saying they 'need' to launch it in 2025 but that is just the typical "But I want it know" mentality.
I thought that 2025 was mentioned at the launch event. Perhaps misheard. As for the R3X, nothing was mentioned, so 2027+, if ever. They don’t even have a plant or people yet for that GA project.

These "launches" feel like a page or two torn from the Musk Cybertruck playbook, to be frank - announcing and parading around prototypes with no real deliveries planned for years. Let's hope they don't also follow Elon's lead by touting all the R2/R3 has/will do (right up until deliveries begin) and then deliver a woefully under-developed PoS. With Elon, this can be expected. RJ - Don't do that!!!

Last edited:

DeafPug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
https://rivian.com/r2 currently and always has said Coming in 2026. Any projections of the R2 coming in 2025 are just wishful thinking or believing that’s what Rivian had said because so many people have incorrectly stated it as the schedule provided by Rivian.

i scrubbed through the Livestream of the R2 reveal, but didn’t find it in the brief time I spent doing that.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I would expect they would target around 40k R1 so they don’t have to try too hard and give too many incentives for sales. 20k for EDV seems reasonable given the Amazon order and the other companies (large and small) that could be purchasing in the next few years. 155k for R2 is a good start but Georgia still needed for European sales, R3 and potential upside on US R2 sales (Model Y is 250k sales in the US).
Sponsored