First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
If that’s the case, it’s 7 inches shorter than the Bolt EUV (169”), but has 5 inch longer wheelbase. My daughter has a Bolt EUV and it’s surprisingly roomy in the back seat. This means the R3 would be decently comfortable despite its short length.
Sponsored

Last edited:

szlats

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
I measured the width of the R3X based off the tire and got like 77"! It's hard to be exact, but assuming parts are repurposed from the R2 (75") and the R3X is wider, that kind of checks out and is disappointingly big. The GTI in comparison is 70.4" wide.

Yes, it's short in length, but width is what matters to me... in parking spots, street parking against the curb, in my tiny garage, along narrow roads and trails. My roof rack gets constant use too, so a low height is also a big plus, and this adds a couple inches there too.

I want it to be a hot hatch so bad, but it's looking more crossover SUV sized IMO still :/

Last edited:

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and Model Y interested in R3
Occupation
Application developer
I believe the R3 dimensions listed here are very accurate based on tire size and photos captured from the event. You can see the floor has grooves in it that are likely tiled 4x8 sheets of plywood. If you scale that to the wheelbase you'd have about 109" wheelbase and a fuzz over 161" for total length based on silhouettes taken by Rivian from further away which would negate some of that lens distortion. This corroborates the wheel evidence which is 30.18". Not sure how much lens distortion there is in this image, but the wheelbase should be 109-111 based on what I estimate. 109 seems most likely though. This would give us a GTI sized vehicle that is 8" shorter and about the same height. BUT more leg room and more cargo with the longer wheelbase, frunk and sub trunk. VERY exciting!

R3-side.jpg

R3-alignment.png

R3vsGTI.png

Riv893628

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Hyundai Ioniq 5
I was worried because RJ called it "our take on a crossover" that it was actually larger than it looked, just a visual design reminiscent of a smaller vehicle - great to know it actually is the size of a GTI! (Only 2 inches longer than my old BMW i3! I loved that little car!)
I had an i3 and I LOVED that car. I now have an Ioniq5 and while it's a great car, it's almost too big for me. The fact that this has all the DNA of Rivian design in a small i3 level package has me beyond excited.

Looks like the R3 is about 3-4 inches longer, 3 inches lower height. I just don't know about width. But yeah, can't wait to get more info!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3
I believe the R3 dimensions listed here are very accurate based on tire size and photos captured from the event. You can see the floor has grooves in it that are likely tiled 4x8 sheets of plywood. If you scale that to the wheelbase you'd have about 109" wheelbase and a fuzz over 161" for total length based on silhouettes taken by Rivian from further away which would negate some of that lens distortion. This corroborates the wheel evidence which is 30.18". Not sure how much lens distortion there is in this image, but the wheelbase should be 109-111 based on what I estimate. 109 seems most likely though. This would give us a GTI sized vehicle that is 8" shorter and about the same height. BUT more leg room and more cargo with the longer wheelbase, frunk and sub trunk. VERY exciting!

R3-side.jpg

R3-alignment.png

R3vsGTI.png
quality post! now do it with a Subaru WRX/STi hatchback! last I checked, the R3 will be roughly 13" shorter than the STi! this thing is going to be COMPACT!

looking at the Ford Focus RS, the R3/X should be in the same length category, which will make this a really compact car. biggest difference between the two will be height. the RS is VERY tight on the inside, so Rivian will need to make up for that with the width of the vehicle.

Sponsored

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
@640k Subaru WRX/STi hatchback vs R3... pretty similar actually in cabin size. Better approach angles though!
1710959019142-xi.png

xyphnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15' G-550, 96' Cappuccino, 97' SL320, 00' 996T
Clubs

@640k Subaru WRX/STi hatchback vs R3... pretty similar actually in cabin size. Better approach angles though!
1710959019142-xi.png
Is the actual Subaru in the back a 2018-2024 Subaru Impreza Base/Premium/Sports? Asking cuz I'm leasing a 2024 Sports as my DD 🙂

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

1710959019142-xi.png
This doesn't seem close. The wheelbase of the STi hatch was around 103". Had a 2012 STi, myself. If the R3 winds up being even close to that thing with loads more performance I might have to buy one.

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
Is the actual Subaru in the back a 2018-2024 Subaru Impreza Base/Premium/Sports? Asking cuz I'm leasing a 2024 Sports as my DD 🙂
Here it is compared to the 2024 sports version:
1711131697235-6s.png

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
This doesn't seem close. The wheelbase of the STi hatch was around 103". Had a 2012 STi, myself. If the R3 winds up being even close to that thing with loads more performance I might have to buy one.
What is weird... when I google the length, height and wheelbase of the Subaru specs... the specs are way off from all the side view images of the same car I find on the internet. This could be due to lens distortion OR perhaps I am not grabbing the right vehicles because I am not that familiar with Subarus.

I still feel pretty confident about my measurements since I can see the grooves in the floor and it matches expectations on the tire size. It could be a fuzz off for lens distortion for the R3 images as well... or the floor panels might not be exactly 4x8 sheets. But the wheels are right there... and we know those sizes.

I haven't seen any other images that give me more confidence one way or another so not sure of what else to try at this point.

Sponsored

SanCarlosJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, VW Golf
What is weird... when I google the length, height and wheelbase of the Subaru specs... the specs are way off from all the side view images of the same car I find on the internet. This could be due to lens distortion OR perhaps I am not grabbing the right vehicles because I am not that familiar with Subarus.

I still feel pretty confident about my measurements since I can see the grooves in the floor and it matches expectations on the tire size. It could be a fuzz off for lens distortion for the R3 images as well... or the floor panels might not be exactly 4x8 sheets. But the wheels are right there... and we know those sizes.

I haven't seen any other images that give me more confidence one way or another so not sure of what else to try at this point.
Not sure if you've seen this video, but at about the 11:38 mark RJ says that the R3 wheelbase will be 5" shorter than R2. From what I've seen that will put it at 110.6". Right in the range your estimates were finding.

Video:

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
Not sure if you've seen this video, but at about the 11:38 mark RJ says that the R3 wheelbase will be 5" shorter than R2. From what I've seen that will put it at 110.6". Right in the range your estimates were finding.

Video:
Nice I thought I saw someone say 5" shorter wheelbase but I lost it after the reveal. I didn't realize it was RJ himself saying that!

So my educated guess put it at between 109"-111"... But I was thinking closer to the 9.4" size so I may be off by a little over an inch based on lens distortion.

ElliotGeno

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Application developer
Aspherical lens distortion must really mess with what we see here and even on Rivian's website. If you inspect the SVG illustration that shows the R2 specs, you'll see it says 115.6" wheelbase. BUT if you take that graphic into Illustrator and size the length to the 185.6" they state... you get almost 120". So even their designers are working from product photography to create these illustrations instead of orthogonal projection from CAD.
1711371936192-uw.png

FoRS91

First Name
Rhaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17' Focus RS, 10' F-150
I’ve driven and loved a 6spd mk7 GTI for 6 years, that has been lifted on Alltrack suspension for the last 3.

Like everyone else I was shocked with the R3X reveal, and immediately intrigued by the styling and “rally-inspired” performance. But I was initially concerned it might be bigger than it appeared in the pictures, so I tempered my enthusiasm and did some sleuthing to find dimensions. Feel free to check my math.

Tire size on the show car is 255/55R19 (I zoomed in to mkbhd’s video). That’s a 30in diameter. RJ also said the wheelbase of R3 is 5in shorter than that of R2, which works out to 110.5in. Using the high res side view photo Rivian posted of R3X, I measured the width of the tire in pixels and from there could calculate the height and length. (I confirmed this by checking the wheelbase and was only 1.5% off the 110.5in value).

R3X length: ~161.4in

R3X height: ~59.5in.

Needless to say my enthusiasm is no longer tempered when I found out the R3X is only 1.7in taller and somehow 6.6in SHORTER than a mk7 GTI (the tiny overhangs I guess??).

Pretty sure this is my next car.
IMG_9122.jpeg
After seeing the R3X, I drive a FocusRS now and this is currently the only car that any Hot Hatch / Hyper Hatch owner can reliably upgrade to without joining the SUV ocean.
Sponsored